• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Loperamide (Immodium) Megathread: We have now lost at least 2 of our own from Lope

Status
Not open for further replies.
It eliminates all symptoms of withdrawal for most people.

Which always made me wonder, if ALL the really bad symptoms, even the restless legs & body aches, of WD are GI-track in nature. After all, the same seemingly non GI-track symptoms are present during a stomach flu. Which begs the follow-up question, Would an opiate that did NOT bind to GI receptors be physically addictive?

Which always made me wonder, if ALL the really bad symptoms, even the restless legs & body aches, of WD are GI-track in nature. After all, the same seemingly non GI-track symptoms are present during a stomach flu. Which begs the follow-up question, Would an opiate that did NOT bind to GI receptors be physically addictive?

They recently developed a drug called methylnaltrexone that is a peripherally acting antagonist. The idea of this drug was to combine it with strong analgesics because it blocked the peripheral effects of opioids and none of the centrally acting ones since like lope, it can't cross the BBB.

It blocks the constipation, and the itchiness to a lesser extent but does not impact the sedation, analgesia, euphoria, miosis, etc. So Yes, MN demonstrates that even when the opioids are blocked from binding to the GI tract, they are still addictive.

A lot of people believe that loperamide ONLY works peripherally but from what 6/7 has said and from my own experience, it seems small amounts do get through and produce central effects.

^God I am so glad you asked. I have been *DyInG* to ask you out but I was just soooo nervous so I made up all that transitive anal sex and back alley crack whore shit to create pretense.

@ 6/7
I'm interested in your taper schedule off of loperamide since you had success. How often did you dose and how much did you lower each dose? I'm trying to figure out a taper for me.
I'm tapered down to about 1 mg of subx a day and trying to kick. My guess is start at 20-30mg, dose every 2 days, drop 4 mg at a time.
I really would appreciate your inout.

@ 6/7
I'm interested in your taper schedule off of loperamide since you had success. How often did you dose and how much did you lower each dose? I'm trying to figure out a taper for me.
I'm tapered down to about 1 mg of subx a day and trying to kick. My guess is start at 20-30mg, dose every 2 days, drop 4 mg at a time.
I really would appreciate your inout.

I dosed every day. How much you take and how much you reduce the dose by should be based off of what makes you comfortable. I started with 12 pills and was down to 1 a day by the end of the second month. Just do the math and go from there.

Thanks. I've been looking for reliable advice on this subject.

I realize these answers are subjective, but how did you feel before dosing? I know when I was on methadone, I dosed once a day and usually woke up sick, even when not tapering down.
Also, how was the final taper from 2mg to 0?
Any other comments / or things I should know?

I apologize if you've repeated this info previously.

No problem. The withdrawal-assisting effects of Loperamide last for about 24 hours, so I usually dosed every 24 hours. The final taper from 2mg to 0 was a cake-walk. I only did it for psychological reasons. I probably could have jumped off around 12mg and been fine.

One thing to remember: the constipation from Loperamide lasts longer than the withdrawal-assisting effects, so sometimes you will have to deal with a few hours worth of withdrawal so you can take a shit, otherwise, you aren't going to have a very healthy movement the entire time you're using it, and the rebound diarrhea when you stop using the loperamide will be bad for a few days to a week.

Cool. I'm gonna pick some up tonight. A local store has a 1/2 off sale on a 96 pack. Like you, I'm coming from Suboxone to this. I was steady at 2mg/ day for a while, and recently tapered down to about 500-750 mcg/day. I was going on my second day with no dose( or sleep), but I just got kicked down an oxy 20 so I'm definately feeling better right now. I'm pretty excited about trying out a loperamide detox so I'll post my experiences for future users.
Thanks again!

If you're in America (which I see that you are), check out the Meijer pharmacy. They have a box of two bottles of 96 for around 13 dollars. Compare that to one bottle of 96 at CVS which will run you around 17 dollars.

I was at 2mg of Suboxone when I switched, so in that case, you probably only need to start with about 24mg. Take more if needed, but you shouldn't need much more.

Good luck.

EDIT - Damn, you're at a very small dose of Suboxone. You may only need a few mg's of Loperamide in that case.

Just picked up my loperamide. I hope this doesn't count as sourcing, but I found an even better deal at the dollar store. They only had one 12 pack left. So, then I hit the grocery store and picked up another 24 pack. It was still a pretty cheap, but not as cheap as the dollar store.
I did my last cotton shot last night (yeah, I know bad HR), so I'm still feeling ok right now. Probably gonna take them later on tonight. I'm gonna start out low, maybe 6-8 mg since my sub dose was much lower than 2mg/day. I really wish I would have read this thread earlier. It would have helped with the suffering I endured tapering down from the sub.
EDIT: Just did 10mg about an hour ago when starting to yarn and sweat. I'll report more later
Edit: Been 4 hours since I took it. Shaking yawning, and sweating have mostly stopped. Infact, I'm starting to get a bit sleepy. I hope this stuff holds as I have a job interview tomorrow.
Edit: Woke up early feeling crappy. Took 12mg. Felt better about an hour later. It's about 3 now, and I feel ok. A little shaky is all. No sweats or RLL though

Last edited:
Give it a shot. If it doesn't work, take a bit more until you find the dose that works.

I arrived 3 years later! I've just tried today loperamide (30mg) with GfJ, today is my 3rd day of smack WD (used tramadol and dextropropoxyphene & benzos last days) and now it's gone :O!! feel sleepy and mild euphoric :)
I like it, it's OTC here in spain and it's relatively cheap (20 2mg caps 2€)

Last edited:
Yeah you don't need any script for Imodium (Loperamide) here in Sweden neither.
Anyway, tried a while back to take 40mg of this stuff when i was mildly WD'ing, I don't really know if it helped. Kind of felt a strange feeling. Not a pleasent feeling thats for sure (on top of the WD's)

I'll try again at the next withdrawal and se if it eases some pain.

Loperamide really works wonders. It nearly completely eliminates withdrawal for me, especially since I don't get any kind of psychological craving that some people seem to talk about; just the desire to not be physically sick, which the lope takes care of. I have to take 80-120mg to completely be ok, but I have an obscene tolerance and 24-48mg seems to be effective for most other people. Which is still 12 of the 2mg pills it comes in. No unpleasant side effects, shitting is no more difficult than normal opiates (still somewhat difficult).

I have tried it a few times now, mostly for psychological help than really expecting a high or anything. I took 24 mg's the first time, and got really bad stomach cramping, and didn't shit for about 4 days....When I did (that's what I was waiting for before doing any more), I took the liquid the second time, about 20 mg's, not as bad of constipation. Just had 15 mg's or so, and, like I said, I'm not high or anything, but with all I know about the chemical, it helps me psychologically.

I don't understand how people are unable to shit for 4 days after taking Loperamide. When I was taking it everyday, I still managed to take a shit everyday, and that was when I was taking at most 48mg a day, tapering down by 2 - 4mg every week. The longest I went without shitting when using Loperamide was about 48 hours. Also, I know I've read on more than one occasion about other BL members - negrogesic is one who immediately comes to mind, so if he sees this, he can confirm it - who took up to 200mg and still managed to shit around 24 hours later.

^I'm 100% with you 6/7. I never took doses quite that high but when I used it to taper off opiates, one dose would hold me pretty good for a day and I had completely normal movements always. I never had any constipation let alone for 4 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.