Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Caldicott vs Bressington

Tronica

Executive Director
Staff member
Here is the link.

This part particularly caught my eye:

I suggest that those listeners out there who have access to the internet get onto some of the blogs on websites for drug users and ravers and just see the comments on those sights about their drug use and their rights and the absolute despise for anyone who would suggest that taking these drugs is dangerous, then call my office on 8237 9596 and tell me if Dr. Caldicott and his associates are being successful in convincing these young people to stop using drugs or even if the education around the harms of these drugs is doing the job.

Great thread Tronica :)

Gawd bless that doctor :D It's good to know that people like him are out there - now with a group 15 strong - looking out for people like us and making sure facts are not misinterpreted and bullshit isn't allowed to fly without challenge!

C'mon people. This is your chance to show just how much of a responsible drug user you are. Or perhaps you're one of the many who have given up using drugs but still feel it's important to convey HR information. It's not often that a politician gives out his/her phone number and invites comment, particularly after making such a ludicrous statement. Post here, or preferably, write or ring in response to Ms Bressington's claims.

So just how effective are sites like Bluelight at reducing harm and spreading awareness on the dangers of drugs?

While not all BLers will stop or have stopped using drugs altogether after coming here, I would say with a degree of certainty that many have been correctly informed and so acknowledge the dangers in taking illicit drugs.

Speak up so the value in effective Harm Reduction is realised by a wider audience.

David is a legend, who else is on his List?

thelist

You'll find an updated list of Australian contributors by following the "Who is on the list" link on the front page. Unfortunately a couple of valuable associates have recently had to withdraw their direct support due to pressure from above.

I'm definately going to ring up!!

Ii have not stopped my drug use by using BL but i am so much more aware of the risks and adverse health affects that may result and how to minimise the harm ever since joining this site.

Not only that, my friends have benifited too - coz i will spread the word to them and will tell them with what to look out for and do it responsibly. So not only does BL help us on members, it helps all our friends too who otherwise would have been ignorant of the harm involved.

Harm minimisation is the ONLY way to go - people out there will ALWAYS take drugs no matter what in the end. Learning to do it the responsible way is the only way that will ever work.

Interesting link. Both parties make some mention of the impact of harm reduction on use levels. For example Caldicott: "that's why harm reduction works for Holland - they may have slightly more people using drugs.." and Bressington: "under our current harm minimization policy more people tend to use drugs"

I think this assertion needs to be challenged. I've already linked to this 2004 research paper in another thread today:

http://www.mapinc.org/lib/limited.pdf

This paper compares patterns of cannabis use amongst young people in Holland and California, where policy approaches are vastly different. There is no significant difference in patterns of use.

Also, it is well known that providing needle exchange doesn't increase the number of people injecting, or the amount of injecting by those already injecting.

We really should challenge this notion that if we are less punitive in our approach to a particular drug, that more people will use it. All the evidence I've seen says this is simply not true. The factors that lead to the prevalence of any one drug are complex - the whole "sending the wrong message" argument is total nonsense.

Cheers for posting Tronica, I reading of the Doc's adventures :)

Come on everyone the numbers there, make your voice heard. Show them what us forum dwellers really know.

Gawd bless that doctor It's good to know that people like him are out there - now with a group 15 strong - looking out for people like us and making sure facts are not misinterpreted and bullshit isn't allowed to fly without challenge!

i'm in CBF mode (Can't be fucked)...

i hope this person challenged the "fact's" as much as they challenge the "bullshit"... otherwise they are just a hypocritical waste of my time.
"

Bless you, echo off... It's precisely because of this CBF approach that Australia doesn't have a organized drugs policy opposition, that Australia is so far behind Europe and Canada in progressive drugs policy, and how people like Bressington get elected. At least you are honest about your disinterest, although if you have the energy to post here, maybe you could use the residual inertia to contact your local elected representative.

Until Bluelighters get involved in a substatntive way in the issues concerned, beyond that of sounding off in the privacy of an anonymous bulletin board, they can't complain when they are faced with sniffer dogs in the streets, or the lack of progress in the issues of pill testing.

The same criticism can be levelled at the many academics and researchers who also know how incorrect many politicians are on drug issues, and still remain silent because of funding fears... It's understandable, but hardly admirable...

ayjay said:
We really should challenge this notion that if we are less punitive in our approach to a particular drug, that more people will use it. All the evidence I've seen says this is simply not true. The factors that lead to the prevalence of any one drug are complex - the whole "sending the wrong message" argument is total nonsense.

I agree, it has more to do with supply, purity and availability than anything else.

I can completely understand CBF mode. I guess, for me, I see some kind of hope, and I think everyone can play a role to move the debate along. I get disheartened too - not all the efforts will pay off in ways that we can see. but one day there should be a tipping point where things change. All our small efforts move towards that day, IMHO.

Phoning up is one thing (tough, I know). Here is Ann Bressington's website's email: [email protected]

Another thing concerned Australian BL'ers can do is make sure you are enrolled to vote at the Federal election (later this year) and join the Greens. Their drug policy will make Australia a much better place to live, if we can vote them in to holding the balance of power in the senate. This is not an unrealistic goal. They have cheap memberships for concessions too, $30 in Victoria :)

Hi

Something you can do for your brothers and sisters in New Zealand is visit www.savethepills.com and register your support for our consumer's submission on party pills.

The strategy is to keep a schedule under the drug laws where low risk drugs are available.

It is about taking the first steps towards ending PROHIBITION

Think of it as a ground floor in an apartment building, and at present above it are CLASS C where cannabis lives, CLASS B where ecstasy lives and CLASS A where coke and smack and acid hang out.

The GROUND FLOOR is for things that are not dangers enough to be illegal.

Once we have built the ground floor, that RESTRICTED SUBSTANCE schedule where currently BZP hangs out, and we have put regulations in place - a risk management system with rules about advertising and retail restrictions, ID checking systems for age and education for retailers who sell drugs, we can start thinking aout relocating other substances down into it.

If we can make it work in NZ and out government starts feeling good about not having to build new prisons all the time and being able to tax drugs like they do with alcohol, other countries like Australia may see the light and copy.

It's a 5 year plan but start now by voting for it please!

ALSO - if you go to thesite you can download the trailer to ROLLING, the new ECSTASY culture movie.

How is that for a shameless plug.

Syringe centre 'danger to city traders'

More from Bressington...

A TAXPAYER-funded syringe program in Hutt St in the city is putting the safety of nearby traders and residents at risk, two state MPs have claimed.

Independent MP Ann Bressington and Family First MP Dennis Hood visited Hutt St after receiving complaints from residents about the behaviour of drug users in the area.

Ms Bressington said a syringe program at the Hutt St Centre was a "honeypot" for addicts who regularly publicly injected drugs near the charity organisation.

Both MPs have called for the program to be operated in a more controlled environment such as hospitals where, they say, stricter controls and regulations could be implemented.

They remained vehemently opposed to supervised injecting rooms. They blamed a lack of policing and government inaction for social problems in the Hutt St area.

That included criminal behaviour, violence and public drug use.

"At Hutt St, people rock up at the drop-in centre get their needle, hook up with their dealer outside then go down the alley way and shoot up in vacant lots," Ms Bressington said, after witnessing the activity.

She admitted organising a drug deal herself on the visit but stressed she did not proceed with the trade.

Mr Hood said he was shocked at how easy it appeared to be to buy drugs in the area and was concerned about the prevalence of public drug use around Hutt St.

"It is illegal activity which fosters potential growth in crime, is a threat to residents and businesses in the area but also, of course, is the even greater concerns for the health and welfare of people involved in drug use and what happens to them is usually not very good," Mr Hood said.

Substance Abuse Minister Gail Gago said she was not aware of any problems at the Hutt St Centre.

"The State Government strongly enforces the law in regard to illicit drug issues and has implemented measures to encourage drug users to access treatment," she said.

The Hutt St Centre yesterday did not return calls.

From Adelaide Now

This is quite funny: "She admitted organising a drug deal herself on the visit but stressed she did not proceed with the trade." 8)

How easy ti is to buy fake drugs that is.
You think junky's wanna sell u goods? LOL