Alcohol Forum? - Split from Heads Up thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KemicalBurn

Bluelight Crew
Seeing as we're creating forums, how about we get an Alcohol forum off the ground for the purposes of HR...

Or are we still pretending that alcohol isnt an issue that needs addressing in the drug community?

Last edited by a moderator:
KemicalBurn said:
Seeing as we're creating forums, how about we get an Alcohol forum off the ground for the purposes of HR...

Or are we still pretending that alcohol isnt an issue that needs addressing in the drug community?

good question imo

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck . I'm all for being positive with new members etcetera (theory and practice being two different things mind).
The alcohol forum or whatever is a valid point worthy of consideration !
Maybe a section [within an existing forum ] to see if it takes off first .

What is the scope for an alcohol forum? Alcohol is certainly a big issue when it comes to harm reduction, but at the same time it is essentially just one substance, how much discussion can a forum on one common substance generate in the long term?

^^^well cannabis and maybe steroids worked out, but I think alcohol is different. The HR issues around alcohol most often involve drug combinations, which can be handled in the respective forums of the drug combined with the booze.

5-HT2 said:
The HR issues around alcohol most often involve drug combinations, which can be handled in the respective forums of the drug combined with the booze.

I wouldn't say that, people end up in emergency rooms every day from alcohol poisoning alone. Then there are all the side effects that come from drinking, like extremely bad judgement in decisions involving, sex, driving, and whether you should drink some more among others. Alcohol is also addictive and users can develop a physical dependence on it.

^ That is true, but consider this. If you look at OD, it seems to be the same questions get asked over and over (safe combinations, techniques for consumption, etc). OD is a forum that caters to dozens of different drugs and yet any regular poster can see that everything just gets repeated eventually. Now with an alcohol forum the same thing would happen within a week. There are definite harm-reduction issues concerning alcohol, but enough to hold up a forum? Perhaps a comprehensive alcohol thread in the harm reduction forum would be more applicable.

Last edited:
Alcohol is just one substance but...
I'm no alcohol connoisseur but i've experience many different and distinct intoxicated states due to different kinds of alcohol. Along with these there are a range of of good and bad effects, all of which, i'd expect to be grounds for some very interesting discussion.
Lumping them all into one thread i feel is nowhere near enough.

On another note, i reckon the absence of an alcohol forum and hell even a tobacco one for the morons*... ahem sorry about that... i mean smokers.. may perpetuate the all far too common mindset that these two substances aren't as discussion worthy (not as dangerous) as other drugs.

my two cents

*;)

if we allow a specific alcohol forum, should we then allow a caffeine forum? surely there are differences between drinking a Red Bull, a cup of coffee, or an expresso? I think we have to draw the line somwhere - and alcohol is the line. not that it is not discussion worthy, but alcohol topics are allowed in Other Drugs and Drug Culture.

I think the difference there is countless more people harm themselves with alcohol or tobacco than with caffeine. A seperate forum will assist in harm reduction.

No skin off me if we don't do it. I never thought of it before KB brought it up. I just think it's a logical step for bluelight.

Who knows, we might eventually even draw a whole new non-illicit substance user crowd.

Axl Blaze said:
if we allow a specific alcohol forum, should we then allow a caffeine forum? surely there are differences between drinking a Red Bull, a cup of coffee, or an expresso? I think we have to draw the line somwhere - and alcohol is the line. not that it is not discussion worthy, but alcohol topics are allowed in Other Drugs and Drug Culture.

What he said.

n4k33n said:
^ That is true, but consider this. If you look at OD, it seems to be the same questions get asked over and over (safe combinations, techniques for consumption, etc). OD is a forum that caters to dozens of different drugs and yet any regular poster can see that everything just gets repeated eventually. Now with an alcohol forum the same thing would happen within a week. There are definite harm-reduction issues concerning alcohol, but enough to hold up a forum?

That's the chief point. I've certainly noticed the drugs forums can repeat themselves, but I also know that SLR and other community forums tend to repeat themselves as well. It certainly does not make any of those forums less valid. As long as the information is there and available to members. I mean, we're not about to reduce OD to a single thread just because it doesn't see alot action are we?

I have been thinking about it some more and it occurs to me that there are alot of topics related to alcohol that could be covered. I myself, have an alcoholic father and I've thought up about ten topics in the last half hour. There's the sub-cultures that centre on alcohol consumption, the availbility and suitability of different rehab programs, dealing with alcoholic friends, family and co-workers.... I have alot more.

I say we give it a go. It would be great to choose a mod that is not neither strongly for or against alcohol, but recognises all the issues that come with drinking in society.

*cough* Sorry to run away with your idea a bit there, KB :eek:

I think that topics such as the availiblity of rehab, dealing with alcoholic friends, family, coworkers, dealing with YOURSELF as an alcoholic are far more suited for The Dark Side rather than an alcohol forum.

What about beer threads? Wait, I'd like to keep those in The Lounge, if that's okay. =D

If we had an Alcohol forum, we could see a lot of threads dedicated to certain types/brands of beer. Kinda like in Film & Television, where we have polls on all the movies, rating them and then discussing them.

I know I'm not the only one here who loves beer, and who considers himself a connoisseur. I think it'd be really cool for people to be able to discover new beers of whose existance they never might have been aware.

Otherwise, I'm gonna make a "Good Beer Thread" and I'm going to ask that it be kept serious. (I know - Serious? In The Lounge???---yes, for that thread, and that thread only)

=D

^^^Aren't explicitly defined drug threads forbidden from the Lounge? As a homebrewer and fellow beer connosseiur, I'd recommend putting a "good beer thread" in SO or DC if you want it to be serious. Going along with AxL's judgement, I think DC has plenty of room to accommodate a good beer thread; there was a homebrewing thread there awhile back IIRC. The Lounge doesn't get more serious than "What are you drinking right now?" to which the answer could be bodily fluids, energy drinks, or the aforementioned beer.

How could you honestly think it's better idea to spread alcohol all over the board then give it its own focus forum?

What exactly, do you have against an independent alcohol forum? Or are you just trying to keep all the booze for yourselves?

Beatlebot said:
How could you honestly think it's better idea to spread alcohol all over the board then give it its own focus forum?

One could say the same thing about any of the pharmacological drug classes that do not have their own forum. I'd like to amend my previous statements and say that in my experience modding the drug forums, most of the alcohol-related stuff I've come across has to deal with drug interactions. Obviously all the other HR issues with alcohol that you mentioned are very important, but they don't come up as often in the drug discussion forums.

it is simply not needed. the rehabiltation aspect of alcohol is covered in TDS. the combination of drugs and alcohol, and the making of is usually covered in OD. general alcohol threads are usually covered in DC.

by your logic we should have a cocaine forum, an opiate forum, etc, etc. there is no demand. there is no need to supply. this economic truth is self-evident. tobacco is the drug that kills its most users per year. for harm reduction's sake, we should induce a tobacco thread first and foremost. but this is silly. why do you feel so strongly for an alcohol forum?

I would consider putting it in SO, but I think OD and DC are too drug-oriented. The point of my thread is not to talk about how fucked up you're going to get from "this" beer vs. "that" beer. I'm talking about taste, appearance, ingredients, customs, etc.

IMO, we really ought to have a forum for alcohol. There's sooooooo much that can be said, read, taught and learned about everything alcohol-related.

Axl Blaze said:
by your logic we should have a cocaine forum, an opiate forum, etc, etc. there is no demand. there is no need to supply. this economic truth is self-evident. tobacco is the drug that kills its most users per year. for harm reduction's sake, we should induce a tobacco thread first and foremost. but this is silly. why do you feel so strongly for an alcohol forum?

Not at all - I disagree that tobacco causes more deaths than alcohol - not when you factor in alcohol related accidents and violence. Alcohol is an integral part of western culture, people who have problms with alcohol abuse find it hard to give up for this very reason. It has the potential to be the most dangerous drug you could ingest but its use is celebrated in our culture. There is no denying that alcohol use effects our members.

I have to go now, but I will be back to argue more tomorrow :) I've gone from not caring much this morning to feeling personally invested this afternoon, so I'm going to take a break :)

Status
Not open for further replies.