Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Daily Mercury - 19/02/07 'Miners turn to internet to beat tests'

lil angel15

Bluelight Crew
Miners turn to internet to beat tests

MINE workers are using masking agents obtained on the internet and dodgy urine samples to try to beat testing at hinterland coal mines, according to a man who failed a drug test last week.
Products offered over the web, such as Urinade, and carrying a clean urine sample onto mine sites in a condom secreted in underpants are among the tactics being used to get around the testing process.

The 30-year-old, who tested positive for ecstasy, said he thought he "had the system beat".

He outlined some of the methods being used to beat drug testing and warned mine workers that trying to beat the system was not worth it.

"A mate told me you could get someone who was clean to urinate into a specimen jar or condom.

"You took that sample hidden in your jocks and transferred it to the mines’ jar when asked to provide a sample," he said. "There are also websites offering products, including Urinade, which will substitute for the real thing," the man said he had been told.

The man said he had taken one tablet of ecstasy at 9pm on a Saturday night and tested positive at 7.30 on the following Tuesday morning.

"I thought the ecstasy would have been out of my bloodstream because mates had told me it would be gone.

"I almost lost an $80,000 a year job, lost the respect of my workmates and could have put lives at risk," he said.

How effective most methods of beating drug tests are remains doubtful according to the man who "wrote the book on drug testing in the workplace" Gary Sorensen, of Mackay's Tropical Investigations.

Mr Sorensen said he buys products offered on the net and then revels how ineffective they are.

"People will try anything to escape detection. And there are plenty of cowboys out there trying to fool people," he said.

"They are helped in some ways because there are differing standards and tests being applied across industries.

"But the tests will get tougher and tighter because mandatory, uniform standards are on the way," he said.

Mr Sorensen, who developed programs and testing standards for a variety of industries, uses saliva swabs, urine samples and the breathalyser to detect drugs such as marijuana, speed, ecstasy, cocaine, heroin and alcohol.

The young man, who now faces counselling after failing the test over ecstasy, has given an undertaking to stop taking illegal drugs.

"It's a wake-up call for me, part of growing up," he said.

He said he had been a casual user of drugs, taking about 10 ecstasy tablets a year.

The Daily Mercury

he thought he "had the system beat".

He said he had been a casual user of drugs, taking about 10 ecstasy tablets a year.

These two lines jumped out at me.

For someone who only takes 10 pills a year, you wouldn't think they would have a system to beat the system. I have a feeling this person may have used a little more than they let on.

On another note. I don't think he will be too popular in the mines after 'ratting out' about the tricks being used by other miners.

Interesting that while most industries including the mining industry employ urine testing, other industries are opting for saliva testing. They use the same tests as used in roadside testing, done in accordance with Aus standard AS 4760-2006. I was recently asked for comment regarding a proposal to introduce oral swab testing into a previously non-tested industry, one which employs people across the state.

So, while some industries punish for non-active metabolites, others are, by introducing saliva swab tests, essentially acknowledging and accepting that workers will take recreational drugs when on leave or over their days off. Even CASA is talking of employing swab based tests for pilots. Let's just hope we don't have to fly on a terrible tuesday ;)

Of course, neither testing method guarantees a completely safe workplace. We all know that a bender on Saturday can still leave one rather furry by Tuesday, particularly if sleep has been minimal. Also, as workplace tests have become the standard, other drugs are being sought which will not show up on either current urine or oral swab tests. There's many of these substances out there as most of us know, and workers don't have to look far to find them.

So, will these tests ultimately provide as safer workplace as intended? Unlikely IMO. Perhaps if education programs and deterrent based incentives are also introduced they might fare better.

And for what it's worth, some of those products do work. Over the years, I've spoken with miners and other workers who've used them successfully. Much of it comes down to how well the sample collection is supervised.

"I thought the ecstasy would have been out of my bloodstream because mates had told me it would be gone."

I like this quote. Dunno where he got this from, I assumed that 3-5 days was reasonably common knowledge.

yossarian_is_sane! said:
"I thought the ecstasy would have been out of my bloodstream because mates had told me it would be gone."

I like this quote. Dunno where he got this from, I assumed that 3-5 days was reasonably common knowledge.

sounds dodgey, a week shouldnt be a long time to abstain, unless your a regular user.