Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald Sun - 04/02/2007 'Singer's result positive'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Singer's result positive
Chris Tinkler
February 04, 2007 12:00am

FORMER Bardot singer Katie Underwood is the first high-profile Victorian to be snared in the state's drug-drive roadside blitz.

The dance diva has confirmed a preliminary roadside bus drug test was positive after she was pulled over in City Road in Melbourne's Southbank about 11pm last Saturday.

A second test was taken to determine the accuracy of the preliminary sample, which indicates there may be drugs in the person's system.

The second test has gone to the Victoria Police laboratory for further analysis, with the results expected within two weeks.

"I'll find out (the result) in a couple of weeks. Nothing has been established as yet. I'm not convinced anything will happen," Underwood said.

Underwood, 31, refused to say where she had been, if she had taken drugs or if a drink might have been spiked.

"I have nothing else to say," she said.

In 2004 with Ozzy Osborne and Peter Brock, she was at the forefront of a campaign to discourage motorists from drink-driving.

The three were members of Recording Artists, Actors and Athletes Against Drink Driving.

Underwood's message was: "Even being a little bit over the limit when you get behind the wheel means you're more likely to cause a crash, injure or even kill someone."

Her all-girl group, Bardot, was formed out of the TV hit Popstars in 2001.

Victoria, in a world first, introduced roadside tests for amphetamines and cannabis in 2004. Victoria Police started testing for ecstasy last September.

About 500 people have been caught drug-driving since testing started -- about one in 50 of those pulled over.

Police launched three combined drug and alcohol testing buses at the start of the Christmas holiday season. Five more will be operational by mid-year.

First-time drug-drive offenders face a maximum $1289 fine and possible driving ban of up to six months.

Herald Sun