Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Police vow big day out for drug dogs

Tronica

Executive Director
Staff member
Discusses how drugs can be used more dangerously amidst the threat of sniffer dogs...

Police vow big day out for drug dogs
Sydney Morning Herald
Malcolm Brown and Les Kennedy
January 25, 2007

POLICE have plans in place to control any major outbreak of violence at today's Big Day Out concert and have warned they will not tolerate drug use.

Detective Chief Inspector Tony Cooke, the Auburn police crime manager, said yesterday the main priority was to ensure that everyone attending had a good time.

"We have spoken to organisers and they are anticipating between 50,000 to 55,000 people, so there will be a significant police presence on the ground," he said.

Police will have a command post on top of the Novotel building at Sydney Olympic Park, with views of the showground, and undercover officers at the venue.

Police did not expect a repeat of last year's harassment of some festival-goers by people forcing them to kiss the Australian flag, but officers from the newly formed Public Order Squad, trained in riot control, would be on standby.

Drug sniffer dogs would be at Olympic Park railway station and at the showground's entry gates.

Revelations of the security plans came as the NSW Greens claimed sniffer dogs provoked dangerous behaviour by drug users. Greens MP Lee Rhiannon said users might swallow all their drugs to avoid being caught, and risked dying.

"Concert-goers are taking all their drugs at once before leaving home, switching to more dangerous 'odour-free' drugs and purchasing drugs from strangers at the venue to avoid carrying drugs," she said.

A report last year by the NSW Ombudsman, Bruce Barbour, said sniffer dogs were relatively ineffective and their presence could prompt people to take all their drugs at once.

Ms Rhiannon said stickers would be handed out in the crowd saying: "Sniff Off!"

Mr Cooke warned that police would pursue anyone planning to take drugs into the showground. "Prohibited drugs are not to be taken to the event, not to be used, and we will be there in force … to attempt to arrest those intent on taking drugs into the venue."

Paul Dillon, information manager for the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre at the University of NSW, said one of the dangers was that drug users would opt to take drugs they thought dogs could not detect.

One such drug - GHB (gamma hydroxybutyrate) - was risky because the difference between a tolerable dose and an overdose was slight.

"It has caused great problems at events where people … don't really understand the risk in it," he said.

"They [the users] see the dog coming and they pull it [their drugs] out and take it all. I have worked at many dance events in the last 15 years and this has become a major issue."

The Police Minister, John Watkins, said: "The Government makes no apology for using police dogs to detect people carrying illicit drugs into the [festival]."

Yey! Another year another BDO with an increased police presence 8)

I hope that everyone has a good time and enjoys their drugs without being interupted by any pesky doggies ;) Remember cops hate touching crotches, make sure you moan, 'yeah, mmm.. a bit to the left' when they pat you down, they hate that.

Its such a shame that the State governments don't even take the advice of their own institutions.

Three cheers for the greens =D =D 'SNIFF OFF' is right! :p

i wanna carry around some ground up pepper, and sprinkle in all over the place... maybe some curry powder... but i like the dogs :(

I just want to bring in a few spliffs so i can enjoy the day, is that hard to do with all these police and dogs?

Back in NZ we had none of this crap at our big day outs, sux to the max! maybe even the Extreme!

They didn't bother with drug dogs at Queenslands event. Or if they did they did not announce any numbers of people caught, like they normally do. They also did not use the now legal in QLD Drug busses. I was quite surprised.

I heard on triple J just then that they had found upwards of 50 people they expect to charge at the train station near olympic park. Didn't say how many people they searched.

I wish they put this much effort into solving real crime!

Stuff about flags snipped...

Big Day Out drug arrests
Les Kennedy
January 25, 2007 - 4:09PM

Police made 70 drug seizures at Sydney's Big Day Out, as many fans ignored a plea to leave Australian flags at home.

Police say 50 people were charged and 20 were let off with cautions.

Detective Chief Inspector Tony Cooke praised the overall crowd behaviour at Sydney's Showground.

<snip>

Up to 55,000 people were expected to attend today's concert, which stretches over 12 hours.

Detective Chief Inspector Cooke said some of those charged with drug possession were picked up as they arrived on trains near the venue.

Sniffer dogs were also at railway stations at Parramatta and Hornsby.

He said those charged would appear in court over the coming weeks.

- with AAP

Sydney Morning Herald

Splatt said:
They didn't bother with drug dogs at Queenslands event. Or if they did they did not announce any numbers of people caught, like they normally do. They also did not use the now legal in QLD Drug busses. I was quite surprised.

Nope, I can confirm there were no drug dogs at Queensland's BDO. I hardly noticed any police at all once I got in. Kind of makes me glad to live in the 'Smart State'. :)

Yawn. trying to stop drug use at big music festivals is just pathetic.
police should be used to keep everyone safe. people use drugs to have fun, not to cause trouble. if people are causing trouble, then fine, deal with that, but stop giving criminal records to decent citizens just out to enjoy themselves, not causing any harm to others. it's a free world. fuck off dogs.
stop ruining the lives of others just to make a lame arse political statement.
sure advertise about how bad drugs are and try and educate the masses, but don't arrest little johnny just for popping a pill on his big day out

There were police dogs at the BDO in Qld. A Crowd Care Team Leader had to walk between them. I'm pretty sure she said they were stationed by the side gates prior to opening. However, it's also possible these dogs were something other than drug dogs.

Do security not also have dogs for deterring fence jumping?

Yeah they do. Queensland, especially the Gold Coast like to use scary dogs for a lot of reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if there is no dog scares this year in Brisbane, it was all just media hype.

Scores arrested over drugs at BDO
January 26, 2007 - 6:34AM

More than 70 people have been charged with drug offences at Sydney's Big Day Out concert.

Four people were charged with supplying prohibited drugs while 66 were charged with possession and one with self administering a drug.

Drug sniffer dog operations led to 63 of the possession charges yesterday, police said.

Two people were charged with assaulting police and 22 people were ejected from the concert at Sydney showgrounds in Sydney's west.

A mounted policeman was injured after falling from his horse at the entrance to the Homebush Bay showgrounds.

AAP

The Age

one with self administering a drug

Would be interesting to know what this is about. Was someone charged with taking a drug when they saw the sniffer dogs? Anyone with legal knowledge as to how such a charge can be proven and what it means exactly?

Hmm, I definately saw the sniffer dogs at QLD BDO before the gates opened, but once people entered I didn't see them again. The young labs were getting very hyper when being walked through the empty grounds - I wouldn't be surprised if they got a bit overwhelmed and didn't do the best sniffing job, but then that's just supposition. I'd like to see some numbers from the QLD event.

hoptis said:
Would be interesting to know what this is about. Was someone charged with taking a drug when they saw the sniffer dogs? Anyone with legal knowledge as to how such a charge can be proven and what it means exactly?
yeah police mustve seen someone take a pill or smoke a joint or whatever.

one of my friends was charged with drug administration or somethin like that when they saw him pull a cone.