• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Age - 'Cannabis and alcohol students favourite drug mix, despite risk'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Cannabis and alcohol students' favourite drug mix, despite risk
Ruth Pollard
January 22, 2007

ALCOHOL and cannabis are the most popular mix of drugs for school students, but users are unaware that mixing the two substantially increases the risk of overdose, experts warn.

Using data drawn from a study of 12,805 school students aged 12 to 17, researchers found just over 3000 had used cannabis, most of them in the older age range. Of those, 68 per cent had combined it with alcohol, putting themselves in danger of overdosing, also known as "greening out", said Paul Dillon from the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre.

"What this clearly shows is that people do not use one drug in isolation. A very large percentage, including young drug users, are mixing and the effects are totally unpredictable," he said.

"Alcohol allows THC, the active ingredient in cannabis, to be absorbed faster. As a result, you may be having exactly the same amount of cannabis as you usually do, but it is essentially an overdose."

More young people were reporting to be "greening out", so named because during an overdose, people become nauseous, vomit and experience head spins, Mr Dillon said.

It was now recognised among young people as a negative associated with cannabis use," Mr Dillon said. "When someone has greened out, it can often put them off cannabis, if not forever, for a long time."

Among adults, almost 90 per cent of cannabis users reported using alcohol and cannabis on the same occasion.

"There has been increasing community concern about teenage binge drinking, but there appears to have been little discussion about the practice of combining alcohol with other drugs," Mr Dillon said.

"People appear to mix drugs under the assumption that this practice will increase the perceived positive benefits of each drug taken. However, the only guarantee with polydrug use is that you increase the risk of something going wrong."

The Age

More young people were reporting to be "greening out", so named because during an overdose, people become nauseous, vomit and experience head spins, Mr Dillon said.

Yes, because becoming nauseous, vomiting, and having your head spin has nothing to do with the alcohol you consumed, it is obviously from the Cannabis.

What. A. Fucking. Joke.

Can you say "grabbing at straws"?

Maybe instead of calling it "greening out", they should just call it "I drank too much fucking alcohol and now I am throwing up, and I this would be happening regardless of how much Cannabis I consumed".

I have become dizzy, and thrown up, from drinking, when I didn't even smoke marijuana.

What an amazing coincidence.

Cannabis can actually help protect you from alcohol related brain damage.

Pot Compound Protects Against Alcohol-Induced Brain Damage

May 26, 2005 - Bethesda, MD, USA

Bethesda, MD: Administration of the non-psychoactive cannabinoid cannabidiol (CBD) protects against ethanol-induced neurotoxicity in rats, according to clinical trial data published in the current issue of the journal Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics.

Researchers at the National Institutes of Mental Health (NIMH) reported that the co-administration of CBD with ethanol reduced alcohol-induced cell death in the hippocampus and etorhinal cortex of the brain in a dose-dependent manner by up to 60 percent. "This study provides the first demonstration of CBD as an in vivo neuroprotectant ... in preventing binge ethanol-induced brain injury," authors wrote.

Researchers hypothesized that CBD is neuroprotective because it possesses anti-oxidant properties. Anti-oxidants, such as vitamin C and vitamin E, are believed to help the body protect against the deleterious effects of free radicals (unstable atoms that can damage cells and may accelerate the progression of cancer and age-related diseases).

Previous research performed by NIMH researchers demonstrated that both THC and CBD protect rat brain cells against glutamate toxicity (a neurochemical that is released at toxic levels during a stroke or severe head trauma). An Italian research team has also demonstrated CBD to protect against the brain damage caused by ischemia (a reduction of blood flow to the brain that can cause cell death).

Researchers have also noted that CBD and THC can induce tumor regression, including brain cancer, in rodents and human cells.

US federal law prohibits the medical use of cannabinoids except for synthetic THC.

For more information, please contact Paul Armentano, NORML Senior Policy Analyst, at (202) 483-5500. Full text of the study, "Comparison of cannabidiol, antioxidants and diuretics in reversing binge ethanol-induced neurotoxicity," appears in the May issue of the journal Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics.

And iv thrown up from pot without alcohol before....

Either way i think pot overdoes arn't really a major concern for anyone really...

I've always considered greening out throwing up from too many cones.

Not a pleasant experience. Especially when one's had the munchies and consumed half of their pantry. There's alot more wanting to get out of the stomach that way.

That is weird as hell, I have smoked insane amounts of Cannabis and I never vomited.

Cannabis actually helps me with nausea.

Must be different for everyone.

Wtf i thort THC wasent even toxic so how can you OD on it.
Also they didnt mention any negitave effects from pot in that article at all every bad effect would be caused from alcohol so they shouldent be going around saying it increases the "chance" of something going wrong without stating some evidence behind it.

I can think of many a time, I've been rather drunk, but nowhere near comatose. A short walk to bed would have dealt me a nice bit of shuteye, and a nasty hangover in the morning.

However my (lack of) judgment got the better of me and I decided to partake in a joint, or a few cones. Twenty minutes later and I'm crawling in circles attempting to eject the contents of my stomach onto the nearest flat surface.

I think a better direction for the article to take would have been something along the lines of - "alcohol has a very real capacity to reduce your capacity to make intelligent decisions". Like punching a few bongs after drinking half a slab.

Grass then beer you're in the clear;
Beer then grass you're on your ass.

Not rocket science, I'm sure we've all been there.

don't they use cannabis to help deal with the nausea associated with cheamotherapy?
Maybe the being sick is from inexperience and overconsumption rather than the drugs involved. There is such a thing as tolerance, and age adds a few years of tolerance under the belt.
:)

crazyhorse said:
Grass then beer you're in the clear;
Beer then grass you're on your ass.

Not rocket science, I'm sure we've all been there.

Carzy,

You are so right! Great slogan! When i went out to the clubs on Fri and Sat. nights. I ALWAYS made sure to smoke pot first, BEFORE drinking. If you do not do this..you drink more, get a pretty heavy alcohol buzz, and are more likely to get the spins and vomit if you smoke pot after heavy drinking.

I've been there (greeningout), and it's a pretty bad experience.

That slogan holds very true. I don't find tolerance changes anything either as well.

As far as drug combos go this would have to be one of the safest I would have thought.

hoptis said:
A very large percentage, including young drug users, are mixing and the effects are totally unpredictable," he said.

No they are not. You turn green, you throw up and pass out. Things couldn't be any more predictable with weed and alcohol.

It was now recognised among young people as a negative associated with cannabis use," Mr Dillon said. "When someone has greened out, it can often put them off cannabis, if not forever, for a long time."

And that's a bad thing?

I think the key term here is "young people" which tend to be naeive and stupid at times. The one bad experience I have had with mixing cannabis with alcohol was when I was about 17 years old, being unexperienced with both drugs and overdoing it - as you do at that age. You growup and move on from those days, because being passed out for 10 hours with your head slouched in a bucket full of vomit isn't too much fun =D

Pretty poor article for the age..

Greening out IMO is a fact of life when it comes to pot. I've done it at least a dozen times over my pot smoking career and it has always been because I've decided to have that one extra cone or extra toke whike drinking, then BAM its all over for 4hrs!

Greening is probably one of the worst experiences I've ever had on drugs but I've always been confident in the knowledge that it passes after a little while and that no major damage is done.. except for my reputation 8)

As crazyhorse put it,
Grass then beer, your in the clear
Beer then Grass, your on your ass

Mixing pot with booze is quite a good harm reduction strategy, it stops you from drinking too much (you can't). Lord only knows how much trouble greening out saved me at parties during my teenage years.

it's all true!

you must all know what its like to drink a shitload, then choof.. i always greenout from smoking after drinking, its not pleasant but its not that big of a deal i dont think.

buckpasstheblunt.

I find it actually enhances the taste of alcohol. It also enhances the taste of many other things.

greening out is actually very unpleasant, as many of you are no doubt aware. i'm not sure why everyone is having these knee-jerk reactions at the mention of overdose; for me this article provides nothing more than a caveat to teens to moderate their drinking and smoking to avoid greening out. it's not reefer madness, it's not suggesting smoking weed will turn you into a raping and pillaging fiend; it's just warning against the potential for unpleasantness that comes with overdoing the combo.

ad hominem or not, lurker guy you've got to chill the f*ck out. stop deluding yourself into thinking that cannabis is ill of negative effects. this is neither 'grabbing' at straws, nor clutching as seems to be the more common proverbial usage. as someone who has smoked enough in their days I can tell you now that in cases where i've been too inebriated to know my limits (younger years), a joint or a few cones was enough to make me green out and it wouldnt have otherwise happened if I hadnt smoked. now, this is not the weeds fault, but my own for being a drunk dumbass and not knowing when one cone was too many. i don't think there's any significant health issues, but I agree with 'ilikeacid' greening out is worse (for me) then any ills that have arisen from other drugs.