Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What type of cactus is this?

kingpin106

Bluelighter
a mate informed me that this cactus is the mescaline containing San Pedro .
would you wizards of bluelight be able to identify this for me?

cheers

Attachments

• DSC00146.JPG
    DSC00146.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 3,169
that looks like San Pedro. It is a common Cactii used for landscaping and what-not.. find a good piece and go at night and robb like 2ft of cacti and dry it out, then eat it. lol

I've seen that cactus with a lot more branches than that.
Definitely looks like san pedro, but it could be a strain with less psychoactives in it. Don't rob peoples plants... :)

a close up would help but its looking more like a Cereus (or something else innactive) than anything useful to me. the more i look at it the more convinced i am - definately not active

I doubt very much that's a san pedro. One good tell-tale is that the pedro has a five point cross-section. The cactus in the photo looks like it has six or seven points.

I doubt very much that's a san pedro. One good tell-tale is that the pedro has a five point cross-section. The cactus in the photo looks like it has six or seven points.

Not correct:

From Visionary Cactus Guide

( San Pedro ) A common ornamental cactus which is still widely available for landscaping from local nurseries, particularly in desert states. Known to the natives as the sacred Cactus of the four winds. This plant is native to the western slopes of the Andes of Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador were it can grow to over 5 meters. An extremely hardy cactus it does well in colder climates as it grows in the wild at altitudes of up to 3000 meters. It is very fast growing, averaging up to a half meter a year of new growth. When mature, the plants are large and multi-branched from the base, growing as a large shrub when older. A columnar shaped Cactus, with 4 - 8 broad and rounded ribs, 6 or 7 being the most common.

I think it may be from the Opuntia family (300 different types) its not a san pedro, not even close. The san pedro has real small spikes. this one will hurt if you harvest it.

A common thing with all Opuntia cacti is that they have joined pads. We have an unidentified variety of Opuntia growing here. It produces the most beautiful flowers at night which die as the sun hits them.

From Easy Cactus- Growing Oputia

One common factor with the oputia cactus is that they have 'pads' which are joined together giving them the common name of bunnies ears.

We have a San Pedro (T. pachanoi) growing here, which was purchased from a respectable supplier and species confirmed by an experienced grower. It has very short spines, and apart from it's size and colour, looks quite like the cactus in kingpin106's photo. We also have a smaller Peruvianus. It's darker in colour and has much longer spines.

Several sub species aof San Pedro exist. Some good photos can be found on Erowid Psychoactive Cacti

I'm not suggesting it be eaten on this comparison, as I'm far from an expert on this topic. It could well be another variety altogether.

Ok, say SWIM has about 1 foot of a san pedro right. What would need to be done to extract the mescaline from it so that it is in a powder or crystal form. (Oh and it is a trichocereus pachanoi)
Could somebody put it into a step by step procedure if possible.

mindsurfer said:

My San Pedro has branches with six and seven ribs. I've never seen a five rib San Pedro.

I'm pretty sure the one in the picture isn't San Pedro. Every one I've seen that is confirmed to be T. Pachanoi has more rounded ribs than that. The ribs in the picture are quite straight. I've seen many just like in the picture and I'm quite sure they aren't active.

Have you seen that cactus flowering? San Pedro flowers are very large, white and round. You could almost fit your fist in one.

its not a san pedro. I cant tell you what it is but i know for a fact that those cactus are not san pedro. they are a common garden cactus.

san pedro's have meat between the spines. this doesnt.

I havent seen any like that myself?? and ive taken shitloads of cactii/san pedro over the years? even the san pedro ive had whilst in OZ? but some of the other posts suggests it could be, id just say be cautious then I guess, since I dont know anything about other similarities - be safe!

marklar_the_23rd: I agree with you, san pedros are more meaty between the spines and not so 'shrivelled' as the photo posted, but then again I only go for the san pedro that you know as well..

Cant say its a pedro... looks nothing like what ive seen in anyone's garden! Please do not ingest! or steal for that matter. Would show a flower of the pedro from my garden, but cant seem to do it... not good with puters :)

I found a catus like that walking home from Surfers once. I made a joke to my friend about eating it:p

Now im thinking that might not be such a bad idea :)

as has already been said the ribs are too thin and straight for it to be a useful Echinopsis. they should be more rounded and full. try looking elsewhere or buy one off the net