Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Ice

sydkiwi

Bluelighter
Can someone please explain to me why ice is so popular?

yes I've tried it and several times. I also felt like punching someone for an entire two weeks afterwards. The drug is nothing special and its certainly not worth feeling agro for days afterwards.

I've also already lost several friends to it. a couple got psychosis, another has moved on from the crack pipe and is now doing needles. We threw a mate out on nye because hes beyond our help. He even started accusing us of being terrible friends (this was before we chucked him out) as he was coming down, hadn't slept for days and was paraniod as hell so was ranting and raving at us over nothing. Then a punch up nearly started if he wasn't a mate of mine my bf would of sent him home missing teeth.

When we go out its not hard to spot whos addicted to it. you go to someones place after a big night out and while the bong makes the rounds so increasingly does the crack pipe

when i use meth/speed i get euphoria, energy, increased sex drive and a rush. I enjoy talking and dancing/listening to tunes when on it. I usually drink heavily when on it to loosen up and kinda even myself out. If i get speed i take it orally, if i get meth i smoke it or take it orally.

when im coming down as long as i dont have anything to be paranoid about im fine. if some one is pissing me off i will probably get a bit agro but nothing over the top. I DONT stay up for longer than 1 day will only ever miss one night of sleep and will still try to get some "pretend sleep" in there aswell. Vallium and magnesium on the comedown works a treat if available but not nessesary for me. I would rarely use it 2 weekends in a row.

Its a pitty so many people go off the rails on the stuff. When you tell some people you are on meth they look at you like your about to stab them. But im more likely to speak a whole lot of cod shit and buy them drinks etc etc.

in excess any drug is bad. your supposed "friends" need to learn to control themselves.

Its not as easy as just "controlling themselves." Meth is a fuckin evil drug, lost many mates to it who have just turned into lying and deceiving wankers, had one mate commit suicide whilst on it, its just bad news.

I sympathise with my friends, in my opinion it is just so nasty and so addictive that it completely changes people. I used to blame them for it but now i dont, having dabbled in it a little bit i saw its true potential to cause a full blown addiction and so i stayed right away from it.

I think with any kind of drug it is all a matter of self control. Meth is, for most people and atleast for the first few times, an enjoyable drug (although personally I could never quite put my finger on what I found so wonerful about it). It is very difficult to control your usage of a drug when you are consciously aware of it's ability to be very psychologically addictive. It is also very difficult to control your usage when it is readily available and your circle of friends are also using.

As an ex-addict myself, I can also add that it's very difficult to see and admit to your own addiction/abuse especially whilst it is happening. I still find it difficult to admit to myself that it ever was a problem.

After all I have seen and been through it is still my opinion that it is not the drug that is evil, it cannot possibly be so simple. I think it is still anyone's conscious decision to increase their usage to the point where it changes their normal behaviour.

I still believe that it was my choice to change and i was not forced to by some psychoactive susbtance.

Top post psybeebee :)

Sadly for some the ability to stop using an illicit substance is not as easy as just wanting to stop. The psychological and physiological dependence suffered by many users is real and often misunderstood by the wider community.

I certainly agree with you that the drug itself is not evil but sadly quite a deal of people are not psychologically able to deal with the drug and what I believe to be the high addiction potential it possesses.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
I've only being using meth for about 6-8months and I think the stuff is great! I definitely understand the concern though, as soon as the ice rush hits you can tell how potentially addictive the stuff is.

When I take it I'm nearly always drinking or on pills - I can't stand an Ice high alone its too intense. I also always limit my use to before going out to a club, or at the early stages of a party, then I simply put the stuff away. Unlike many I'm in the minority amongst my group who usese the stuff - most mates just do speed - so I try not to shove it in they're faces too much.

The way I see it its all about self control.

lil angel15 said:
Top post psybeebee :)

Sadly for some the ability to stop using an illicit substance is not as easy as just wanting to stop. The psychological and physiological dependence suffered by many users is real and often misunderstood by the wider community.

I certainly agree with you that the drug itself is not evil but sadly quite a deal of people are not psychologically able to deal with the drug and what I believe to be the high addiction potential it possesses.

Just my 2 cents

Definately a good point lil angel. I understand how difficult it is to cease an addiction all too well, I think the hardest thing about it is having to fight your own belief that you can't stop. As for physiological addiction, I was lead to believe that only opiates and certain barbituates lead to complete physical addiction, however I certainly am not one to question the particularly nasty withdrawl symptoms of an ending meth addiction. These too are a factor that makes meth a very difficult drug to quit.

This is a little off subject but I thought I may aswell mention it anyway.. The only way I was able to quit, in all honesty, was through changing my entire point of view through the use of psychedelic psychoactives (ofcouse I wouldnt reccommend that anyone repeat this as it could have a very unpredictable result). But this is why I personally believe that the addiction is almost entirely psychological, and I don't doubt that most people, myself included, sadly don't naturally have the psycholigical ability to deal with their addiction to any drug.
:(

i l a - good to hear you are able to enjoy such a substance in moderation. It's difficult to stay that way so keep it up mate!

With out a doubt it's the most economical drug in terms for bang for buck compared to other substances. Plus its been available in really high purity for a few years now and readily available across all sectors of the community once you get those factors (price + purity + availability) you will undoubtedly start to see a lot more people having trouble controlling their usage.

To myself and others, the advent of crack pipes in Australian society was really sad. In my head it just looks and feels wrong even though it's just another route of administration. To see someone or a group of people sucking on a crackie for hours at a time does not fill my heart with joy.

Last edited:
Yeah I have never had any euphoria from meth or ice. I just get really awake and bouncey like everyone else but feel totally like I do when im sober. I found it strange that people get addicted to it but understand that people react in different ways.

As a substance I woudln't call it evil. Its a chemical, it can't be good or bad. The people that use it made a choice and should remember that before they go blaming a substance. Am I being a dick too the addicts? No I understand that they don't choose to be addicts but they must remember that they did choose to take the drug that very first time. Id love to take Heroin, but wont because I understand that I might get addicted.

People don't seem to balme themselfs for anything these days.

Good posts psybeebee, definitely agree with you when you say its predominantly a psychological addiction but i still think its one of the only drugs that some people just CANT quit. I saw a family friend of 15 years, who was heavily into sport, good at school, never fucked up, throw his life down the drain and now he is dead. Talking to someone who is addicted to it is talking to a different person. The only connection he had to his old self was his appearance, otherwise i wouldn't have recognised him. Stealing from family and mates, smashing holes in walls, hitting his girlfriend etc etc was completely uncharacteristic of him which makes me blame the drug.

I understand that people need the willpower and mental strength to manage their usage but IMO by the time they realise they have a problem they are usually too far down the rabbit hole and its a vicious and destructive cycle. I have never seen any other drug do so much damage to so many people that i know. Heroin is so tame compared to ice IMO, its still a very nasty drug when it comes to addiction, but meth seems to destroy a person both inside and out, the end result usually being death, jail, or homeless with no family or friends around you....

My 2c

college_dropout said:
Meth is both fun and functional. That's why it's so popular.

I agree. It suits the time and context that we live in so well. You can smoke it, snort it or swallow it unlike heroin which is seen primarily as a IV drug.. People can use it and do use it for work, recreation or study.

People don't seem to balme themselfs for anything these days.

It's not black and white, and while ONLY you can pull yourself out of addiction you do need help and support and counseling etc to be able to make a change.... The moral panic about "ice/meth" is no different to the moral panic we saw in the nineties about heroin but the people who say it is worse are talking through their ass IMHO because a totally new response is needed and they are feeding the media machine that exists today for sensationalism.

In fact it just demonizes people who have had trouble with addiction or limiting their use because now you are deemed as the other or junkie scum so to speak, because you've taken this uber evil hardcore addictive drug and you deserve what you get.

Last edited:
ilikeacid said:
I've only being using meth for about 6-8months and I think the stuff is great! I definitely understand the concern though, as soon as the ice rush hits you can tell how potentially addictive the stuff is.

When I take it I'm nearly always drinking or on pills - I can't stand an Ice high alone its too intense. I also always limit my use to before going out to a club, or at the early stages of a party, then I simply put the stuff away. Unlike many I'm in the minority amongst my group who usese the stuff - most mates just do speed - so I try not to shove it in they're faces too much.

The way I see it its all about self control.

Couldn't agree more, I tend to like meth better than MDMA as a going out drug. I dont forget everything, i dont do completely stupid shit... I can see the potentional for abuse which is why i only eat or snort (not prejudiced here, just slowing the absorbtion time).

the first time i had ice it was through a friend from work{big rocks} and to be honest i can't see what the attraction is. Sure, i had alot of energy, didn't sleep untill the next evening, but i didn't really "feel" anything. Maybe i can see it help u stay up all night drinking or dancing, but i don't know. it's a little too sober feeling for me.I'd rather a nice clean bic anyday.

Its such a shame that the days off getting good old speed are gone. When i first started taking uppers and going to raves in the mid nighties all there was was speed and pills. Every one was running around with massive grins and dancing all night.

When i head out too gigs these days you can pick the chronic ice users; theres no grins and dancing any more, it just a clenched grimace on there face. And quite a bit of violence on the streets at the end of the night. The scene has changed so much in the last couple because of changing drug habits and ease of manifacture.

The list of detrimental side effects of ice is getting larger every days and is compounded massivley if the user has a mental illness or is predisposed to one. I'm not sure where it will end, but without being to doom and gloomy, the heavy users might all wind up sedated and under control of public trusty and with No teeth left in there mouth if habits continue travel in the same direction as they are now.

college_dropout said:
Meth is both fun.

So are trips

the first time i had ice it was through a friend from work{big rocks} and to be honest i can't see what the attraction is. Sure, i had alot of energy, didn't sleep untill the next evening, but i didn't really "feel" anything. Maybe i can see it help u stay up all night drinking or dancing, but i don't know. it's a little too sober feeling for me.I'd rather a nice clean bic anyday.

Do you ever feel like your soul has been raped the next day?

Thanks for the advise guys.

When i head out too gigs these days you can pick the chronic ice users; theres no grins and dancing any more, it just a clenched grimace on there face.

I've noticed that too. its actually worse than when coke was going around the Sydney clubs. At least people didn't look like they were about to knock you bag off.