[AUS] [Melbourne] Sniffer Dogs

Tronica

Executive Director
Staff member
This is an invite from Ravesafe to participate in research about sniffer dogs, the use of which has recently increased in Melbourne. Hoptis recently linked to many of BL's resources on sniffer dogs here.

RaveSafe (a project of VIVAIDS Inc.) in conjunction with Fitzroy Legal Service and Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre are looking into people’s experience with Sniffer Dogs in Victoria. If you have any knowledge of the use of this policing technique please follow this link;

* link removed - survey closed *

The Survey should only take you 10 mins, and all information will be kept confidential and secure. Results will only be presented in group form, and you will not be identified in any publication emanating from the research. A discussion paper will be published on the forum when the survey is complete.

If you have any problems or questions call Purple at RaveSafe on
(03) 9329-1500 weekdays 10am – 6pm.

If you've had an experience with sniffer dogs, or if you've changed your behaviour because of the possibility of sniffer dogs, now is the time to get involved and have your story heard!

PS. Well done to all those involved for getting this happening!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff, the pamphelet Ravesafe have on the first page of the site is pretty cool too.

Had no idea that there was no law reguarding sniffer dogs in VIC, I wonder if QLD is the same.

On the pamphlet it says acid trafficxking is 1.5grams or more. I assume this means the blotter weight as well, which a good loop hole would be having acid as a crystal or powder, or even liquid?

Ahh i finally got on this forum!!!

Anyway, Only NSW has laws created esp for sniffer dogs as far as i know. South Australia dose not use dogs because they do not have any laws around them (i belive this is changing). I hope we can get some change though in Victoria.

Just an update on this project, Purple of Ravesafe recently spoke with me and assures me there was some great data collected on experiences with sniffer dogs and she is looking forward to releasing the findings.

Being the leader of our most active peer outreach for the dance/rave scene in Melbourne, she is pretty busy - especially given the party season is underway. But I will forward her this thread and it's move to the Drug Studies forum so she's aware of where to come when results are out!

my ex was a dog handler and i spent too much time with these other handlers and dogs and i know how dogs search and find, how they act how they work what are they allowed to do while searching and what not. ill contribute this a lot;)

Hi guys... yes the link is dead because the survey no longer running.

Purple did do a powerpoint presentation last year on the results but there has not been a report (for various reasons... time and organisation related). She has sent me the powerpoint to host somewhere so you can all read it.

Now I have gotten around to that and the link for it is:

Sniffer Dogs presentation

We should discuss the results. Especially in light of the recent death in Western Australia of a 17 year old who OD'ed due to fear of being caught by police dogs.

my ex was a dog handler and i spent too much time with these other handlers and dogs and i know how dogs search and find, how they act how they work what are they allowed to do while searching and what not. ill contribute this a lot;)

I would especially like to hear your comments Slay!

^^ cheers:) id like to share my experiences and knowledge too but not sure where to share it?