• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

official NHL 06-07 thread! (free agent signings updated on page 11)

undead

Greenlighter
why has this never been started??? i would have been happy to do so, but ive been in hermit mode for the past 2 or so months.

anyways, i know there are hockey fans on here. who's your team?

i <3 columbus blue jackets.

^ the red wings are my #2 team. though i had a spat with them a while back. when i was young i got the idea to send some cards to them to see if they would autograph them and send them back to me. they not only didnt autograph them (which i accepted), but they kept my cards and sent me a form letter back. i was pissed! ive since forgiven them, but they are a DISTANT second from columbus. i cheer for the wings, but not with anywhere NEAR the intensity that i cheer for the jackets.

the wings are having a good season though. congrats on that! im going to joe louis to see the wings and the flames play on feb. 11th so ill be donning my red wings apparel for that game. if they were playing columbus it would be a different story. hehe.

Go Senators

Huge hockey fan. I talked about hockey a few times, but not many other people on here seem to be fans.
I for one am enjoying the season this year. I have the Centre Ice package and I get every televised game (nice for watching Crosby...man that kid is awesome)

that would be nice to have (the center ice package). i live in the cleveland region, so whenever both the cavs and the jackets are supposed to be televised at the same time, i ALWAYS get the cavs. its a HUGE disappointment! lets say 75 CBJ games a year are SUPPOSED to be televised for my viewing pleasure, i might only actually get 30 and thats a big MAYBE. all the rest i have to resort to the live internet streaming audio. dont get me wrong, i really enjoy listening to the games on the radio because it gives me this old timey sense of self worth like back in the day when my dad had to listen to baseball games on the radio because they didnt have a television set. so its not THAT bad, but i'd like to be able to watch the games that i expect to see damn it!

but yeah. i saw dany heatley bust out that hat trick in the 2nd period against buffalo last week. that was ridiculous. he's goin places fast!

anybody see when the jackets came back against anaheim in the final 10 minutes from a 3-0 defecit??? that was unbelievable, i LITERALLY lost my mind for a moment hah! im just keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that they dont run out of time to make a play off run. times winding down and they're not helping themselves out enough right now, they're looking much better than before (sans the game against san jose the other day), but still have some improving to do.

Sorry to hear about the bad experience with Wings front office. Corpo has no love, no matter who you support. Maybe feigning a terminal illness or incurable disease? That stuff seems to get results and everybody leaves happy. (with autographs)
Still, Calgary/Detroit sounds like a great matchup. Should be a super time. For that matter, let me express my love for Canadian clubs. If I had it my way, the original sixers would play against and among the extended Canadian roster all year long - Vancouver, Calgary, etc.
Hockey in Florida would be banished as a crime against nature and God.

Haven't followed it for a while, but ... go Montreal !!!

that said, i've been staying in NYC, so have jumped on the following bandwagon;

puddy.jpg

oops i suck! i even tried searching by nhl, i may have missed it or something, but word up. both of those teams are sweet to watch. i like watching ovechkin rock the mf'ers cause that dude is hardcore. 50+ goals his rookie season and on pace to get 50+ again. the devils are a team full of bad asses.

^Rick Nash is due to breakout again. He's a good player.

I was on holidays from work during the Christmas break and watched the World Juniors. Great tournament. The game against the Americans was just awesome. Eight rounds of a shootout to decide the winner. Crappy way to end a semi final game, but excited nonetheless.

The Centre Ice package is great. I get at least one if not two games a night in HDTV as well. Hockey in HDTV is amazing. Out of the four major league sports (baseball, football, basketball and hockey) hockey by far the best "upgraded" experience.

why is it, no matter where you go, you mention the word "hockey," and some douchebag has to belt out "Detroit" and/or "The Red Wings?"

Fuck "Detroit."
Fuck "The Red Wings."

there isn't an NHL franchise I passionately hate more than the "Detroit Red Wings."

i only cheer for the Stars and the Lightning.

who cares... if they like detroit, they like detroit. shouldnt you just be happy that you dont?

on that note, how is dallas much different? ever since their cup win in 99 theres plenty of bandwagonners sucking their nuts. and what about the lightning... correct me if im wrong, but didnt they JUST win a cup in 04? who's to say who the real fans are and who the followers are? eventually columbus is going to win a stanley cup, then all the blue jackets fans are gonna be front runners to all the non blue jacket fans.

either way, i dont particularly care for either the stars or the lightning, though i dont dislike either team.

Lane said:
why is it, no matter where you go, you mention the word "hockey," and some douchebag has to belt out "Detroit" and/or "The Red Wings?"

Fuck "Detroit."
Fuck "The Red Wings."

there isn't an NHL franchise I passionately hate more than the "Detroit Red Wings."

i only cheer for the Stars and the Lightning.

perhaps because they are a really well known team?
<3 the red wings.

It probably has something to do with the 10 Stanley Cups they've won.

ryanlaughlin said:
who cares... if they like detroit, they like detroit. shouldnt you just be happy that you dont?
it's just a rivalry i have with Detroit.
rivalries are fun.

on that note, how is dallas much different? ever since their cup win in 99 theres plenty of bandwagonners sucking their nuts. and what about the lightning... correct me if im wrong, but didnt they JUST win a cup in 04? who's to say who the real fans are and who the followers are?

i live in Tampa. been here for 19 years.
i'm a 10 min drive from the St Pete Times Forum, where the Lightning play.
gotta support my home team.
plus, you can't beat $19 tickets.
mmm... stadium hot dogs and beer.

but the Stars was the first NHL team i started to follow when the sport first peaked my interests.
i was a Dallas Cowboy's fan, because i was born and lived in Texas for a bit, so when the Stars moved in '93... i took up watching hockey and haven't looked back.

hockey is awesome.

Last edited:
how dare you talk smack about my beloved red wings?!?!?!? they are the greatest franchise in nhl history.

hopefully this year they'll actually make a run in the play-offs. it has been very disapointing to see them get beat by the oilers, flames, and ducks the last few seasons. but at least all of the teams that beat them went to the finals.

so anyone have any predictions on who wins the cup this year? i don't think it'll be the wings, sadly. i think its gonna be nashville and buffalo in the finals.. and the winner is kind of a toss-up if you ask me....... but within the next couple of years the wings will be back.

^ everytime the wings win the presidents trophy they lose in the first round of the playoffs. i think the fact that they arnent on pace to win the trophy is a big help if youre a superstition person hah.

i think your prediction for nashville and buffalo in the finals is right on. unless of course columbus squeezes into the playoffs cause then they wont be beat hehe. bitches.

Today is "Hockey Day In Canada" 14 hours of hockey programming starting at noon and running until 2:00am. All the Canadian teams play each other. Look forward to this day every year.