• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

1.4 - Butanediol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaz_hmmmm

Bluelighter
Hi
I'm thinking about about ordering some 1.4B but the place I'm getting it from says's it's 98% pure and doesn't say what the other 2% is.
I hoping the other 2% is water, do you think i will be this, if not what do you think it will be?
Thx for the replies in advance. ;)

Damn, that's a hard question.
I wouldn't know, I can speculate though;
1) that the yield of the 1,4butanediol synthesis is not that great. So the other 2% contains some byproducts.
2) there are some poisonous substances added (so you dont wanna ingest it).
3) it contains some 'special' ingredient that isn't harmfull (i.e. water?).
Maybe there is someone who has tried some 1,4butanediol and could shed us some light.

Well I'd imagine it would be water.
Thats what they added when I used to purchase GBL for my around the house cleaning jobs ;) .

Originally posted by ksi:
Maybe there is someone who has tried some 1,4butanediol and could shed us some light.
I've had 1.4B before but got it from a different website and that was diluted with water, but that site was selling 1.4B as 'cleaner' ;) , where as this site isn't.
What would a acetone-based nail polish remover do to me if I were to drink it?
Cheers for the replies! :)

Well I doubt small doses of Acetone are gonna kill you. So if you consume a few mls, and 2% is acetone; you won't do any harm I guess.
For more information; Acetone.
It is even found in the human body,

Ksi you must be right cause it says here:-
How can acetone affect my health?
If you are exposed to acetone, it goes into your blood which then carries it to all the organs in your body. If it is a small amount, the liver breaks it down to chemicals that are not harmful and uses these chemicals to make energy for normal body functions.
Sallycow you say an acetone-based nail polish remover, what, if anything would the other chemical be?
Cheers for the replies! :)

The other 2% most likely consists of impurities produced in the synthesis of the 1,4-BD.

hmmm, might be dangerous, might be fun... dilemma...I would try it, but that`s just me...

Ordering is VERY risky to say the least, that is if your Stateside. Order and just make sure you GC/MS test before you ingest.

Model

Thx for the replies but I've found a GBL supplier. Won't be touching 1.4B ever again unless all my suppliers get busted. :)

This thread can be closed now, if the mod's want! :\

1.4 butanediol

I own an industrial solvent company edited (see below comments)- impimp. the anwser to 1.4 butanediol as far as 98% to 99% pure, is not diluted with water nor any other chemical added, this is due to the fact that it is an industrial solvent that less than 1% may contain water contaminates and/or foreign particles. Water nor any other chemical is added to pure 1.4 butanediol. This chemical does have the potential to retain water due to the air quality, humidity and other natural factors if it is not properly stored.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good info.
Remember, though, that we have a "no sourcing" rule, so you should not mention the name/contact info of your firm on here. :)

^You're new to the site, but please edit your link as no sourcing is allowed here.

edit: @ not-ebola? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.