• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Diets ~ Honestly how do i loose weight?

Angelface

Bluelighter
I know that i reply to everyones post and i have alot of sound medical advice...truth is i have a BA in psych and I'm currently getting my BSN (Nursing Degree)I have taken 2 courses on nutrition, and O chem. BUT STILL I DON'T KNOW HOW TO LOOSE WEIGHT
Here is the deal:
Im 5'7 and weigh 185 It doesnt look that bad but I HATE IT! I hate how i feel ya know?
I have tried:
All the fad diets
Regular nutrition
Slimfast
Pills
Even spend 1 grand on a personal trainer
NOTHING got me below 160!
I talked to my doctor and she said that i should only eat when my body is really hungry and only it enough to satisfy the hunger.
That is basically starvation. So y don't i just try starvation?
Then my p-trainer told me to eat more little things througout the whole day to boost my metabolism.
Basically i know proper nutrition and regulation etc. I don't care anymore how i do it i want to loose 50lbs. What i'm doin here is searching for responses.
What i want is replies from people who lost 50+ LBS and kept it off!!!
How did you do it?

I have a friend who actually lost 80lbs from Weight Watchers. She has kept off ~60 of it for the last 2 years. It's basically just counting calories/portions. You can eat any foods you like, just don't eat as much as you normally would. I actually just started a diet today with my friend. We are each keeping a food journal that we will trade with each other so we'll feel guilty about cheating. I hope it works b/c I'm trying to lose about 20-30 lbs. I just don't feel healthy anymore and that bothers me. Good luck with yours!
`kizool

^^^ I second the Weight Watchers idea. I know LOTS of people who have lost weight and kept it off with WW. At WW, they teach you how to modify and change your life style, not just diet and lose weight. I think it is definitely worth checking out.
:)

You say you have had a personal trainer...have you tried exercise? How about running?
I'm talking about 3+ miles, 6 days a week. Obviously you won't start at that, but you should work up to that over the course of a month.

Originally posted by Angelface:
i don't have $$$ for that + i have my best friends moms stuff f/ her program
Have you looked at your friend's Mom's stuff? If you were exercising for 2 hours/day and not seeing the results you wanted, then it sounds like you need to incorporate dietary changes into your life, in addition to exercise. I would seriously suggest looking at the WW stuff or, as insearchofpeace suggested, look at sugar busters.
:)

there was this lady that i would pass all the time while i was rollerblading and she was jogging last summer. she was well over two hundred pounds. i admired how she got her ass out there and jogged, as i hate jogging thats why i skate.
well i havent skated in over a month because i got lazy over the holidays and yesterday i went out and i passed her and i couldnt believe it. she looked so good. very fit. probably 150 or so. i am still shocked.
if you cant jog try jumping on a trampolene. do a search on the benefits of rebounding, thats what its called. 7 or 10, i cant remember, minutes of jumping on a trampolene is equal to 30 minutes of jogging. plus it flushes the toxins from your lymphs and is excellent for putting weight on your skeleton. (building strong bones). i dont have time to find any links for you but if you do a search on it,the benefits are quite impressive. plus, its so much fun.

Two words: Weight Watchers. It is the only program I could, in good concience, recommend to anyone.
I've been where you are before, and tried everything you've tried. I don't know what it is in pounds, but I lost 13kg on Weight Watchers and the 'food mentality' it taught me have changed my eating habits for life.
After your weight has gone down, to keep it down exercise is the only way. Then you can eat a little more, splurge a bit, in other words, live a "normal" eating existance - and stay slim.
Good luck hon.
SLM

Even if you have 'worked out' for two hours a day, have you GONE RUNNING daily?
Other types of exercise won't get me thin, only running will.

I have a degree in Dietetics, I wilL can say that I have spoken to a*LOT* of doctors who agree that the *BEST* way to lose weight is by eating a ton of Protien and no Carbs!! The Atkins diet is GREAT. I'm sure some people will disagree but they haven't done a disertation on the benefits of high protien/low carb dieting!!!!!Anyway to put in in simple terms.....The body has a an energy source, Carbohydrates, when the body has no carbs to get energy from, it resorts to its primary energy source stored fat. If you take away the carbs, you will burn the stored fat for energy!!!! It is that simple!!! It takes 48 hours of eating only Protien to rid the body of all crabs, in order to burn fat. I personally lost 31lbs. in 52 days using this same approch. I ate only egges, meat,fish and cheese all the time!!! I *ONLY* walked 1 mile a day and the fat melted away! I stress that you need to stick to the dieting plan!!!! Remember that the more you exercise, the faster you will lose the weight!!!!!Weight Watchers is good if you want to lose 30lbs. is 6 monthes!!!! But I dunno I wanted to lose the weight IMMEDIATLY!!!!! And I did! Good luck in any road you choose to take!!!!MIKE

^^^ a qusetion for you. I was thinking of trying out this high protein diet to lose 10kg.
Are you not aloud 2 eat any carbs at all?
What about fruit? Veges? Garden salads? And is it jus limited 2 meat, eggs, cheese & fish?
Im worried i would get bored with that.

Angelface, off the top of my head, I would encourage you to focus the following:
Lifestyle alteration as it applies to:
1) Maintaining sanity in general
2) Setting reasonable initial goals
I would have to describe a lifestyle change as the, potentially best, way to go about this.
I can expand greatly, but I would request that you please provide some information here on:
-Your history of being over/under/ideal weight up until now.
-The length of time you have spent on any particular diet plan before deciding it didn't work for you
-Please try to describe your eating habbits, as random or hard to summarize as they possibly are. I can't stress this one enough. Even water or fluid intake. This is what you would consume while not following anyone elses diet, but just naturally.
-Please describe any substance use before/during your efforts.

This requested exchange also provides me with a grace period to sober up :)

Last edited:
ok well as a child i was a fat baby but not too fat
then from preschool till about 8th grade i was really really skinny like a twig
then 8th grade till my sophomore year in highschool I was like 50lbs overweight
then sophomore year h.s. till my senior year college i was moderate like 5' 7 and 130-140 lbs
It was this last year that I put on like 50lbs in one year. Yes i became a little bit more stagnant but not much...i dance, and Im an avid surfer plus i do alot of swimming in the off season at the gym...i think that my weight gain has more to do with my age and my body slowing down than it does my eating habits and exercise :(
Unfortunately this is the only conclusion i have come too...drug use has been on and off I would say over the past 3 years i have used cocaine 2x for 1 day and E about 3 times and tweak only once for 1 day.
So i don't know what the deal is but if it really is age as Im assuming WHAT THE HELL DO I DO???
i mean should i spend ALL of my waking hours physically active and never eat or what the hell?
My grandparents on both sides of the fam are pretty low weight and my dad is. My mom really isn't overweight but she has diabetes, hypertension, asthma and heart disease she is not active
So i have no clue what to do...my fat is not in one place it is pretty evenly distributed over my body. So i don't look like a heifer but i feel fat in places i don't like!!!!!! AGGGHHHH!

I have spoken to a*LOT* of doctors who agree that the *BEST* way to lose weight is by eating a ton of Protien and no Carbs!!
Besides Atkins, what quack would suggest a diet like that? Sure your gonna lose weight but complete starvation will yield some noticeable results as well. Your kidneys will eventually fail if you stay on a high protein, no-carb diet. As a dietician you should know this.
Angelface, are sticking to your program or giving up too soon? If you were working out for 2 hours a day you certainly should have lost a significant amount of fat unless you quit after a wee or two. Stick with it.
Dont diet. Eat healthy foods whenever you are hungry and dont over induldge. It's that's simple....unless you have a health issue that your not aware of.
Water intake is a huge help with weight loss. I drink a half gallon to a gallon daily. Also, try to avoid salt and sugar. Try to keep carbs and fat seperated. I eat ahigh complex carb breakfast. And for lunch and dinner eat fats and protien. Throughout the day I eat as much veggies as I want. I juicer is a great investment.
That's my 2 cents. I've been fightin fat since I was a kid.
[ 28 December 2002: Message edited by: Bonecutter ]

Angel -- You didn't respond, so I'll ask again -- have you tried RUNNING on a daily basis? Running is NOT the same as other forms of exercise. I can work out for 2 hours a day and I won't burn any fat, I'll just build muscle. Whereas, after a month of running I'll lose about 1/2 of my body fat!

why dont you listen to your doctor ??
u say u dance ,swim ect.. that will keep you fit ..all u need to do now is loose weight.. only eat when youre really hungry and even then eat only the products that will give u the basic vitamins.

bonecutter, I eat 3,000 calories a day!!That is not starvation, rather more than the reccomended 1,600 calories as the USDA!!! I also take a muti-vitamin/mineral pack everyday. And to those who say that the Atkins approach is unhealthy, What is worse(more unhealthy) in the long run, Being morbidly obese or going on a high protien diet for 6 months???That's a no brainer!!I do not have to tell you ALL of the health risks that are involved with being obese!!!!!!!!! A man who is 400lbs or 180lbs?Hummmmm? let me think!! MiKE

well ur not looking at bulk mass removal by the sounds of it? just got extras in places that u dont want them to be in? hmmmm think we all think that about ourselves lol unless ur on the other end of the scale of course and have trouble putting on weight which is apparently just as hard if not harder then removing it....wish i had that problem :p ok started to ramble....concentrate concentrate hehehe been up for about 24 hrs and am in a chatty mood so bear with me
anyway ok i have personally lost 32kgs myself (think thats about 70 pounds??...not sure of the metric diff's)
i was a really really big girl and i didnt get that way from eating a little bit so what i did was i went to the doctor (after many many attempts naturally to loose weight) and got some 'help'
ask 4 duramine which is an appetite supressant...which in my case i needed it cos i ate alot!! what this done 4 me was made me stop being hungry but not only this it made me not really very interested in food at all...nothing was really very appealing anymore 9not like it was previously anyway) so i ate a lot less in bulk which gave my stomack time to shrink back to normal size so that when i did eat it took alot less for it 2 get full
it also made me focus and concentrate onm other things apart from food, calories, fat content, diets, what i could and couldnt eat etc etc etc u know when ur on a diet u are just obsessed with it :0 well i was anyway...pretty sad really cos it was the main focus in my life at the time thinking that if i got 2 the size i wanted 2 be life would be perfect :-/
anyway rambling again sorry :p
so while i wasnt focused on what the next thing was gonna be that i was eating was i actually thought about what i ate (havin lost interest in food quite a bit anyway) so i ate what was low in fat and good 4 me insead
sunstitution is a big key in loosing weight!!! ex skim milk instead of full cream, low fat butter or avacado insrtead of margirine, rice crackers instead of chips, salad rolls instead of burgers, yougurt instead of ice cream....u know all that sort if stuff....suprising how much fat content u save on eating if u actually substitute everything u previously ate and u soon get used 2 the tatse diff anyway and the mere smell and look of fats and oils will just turn ur stomach
eat lots of fruits and vegies, yogurts and soups, drink lots of water, cut out soft drinks cos there just wasted calories
the catch is with duramione tho is that its basically speed based so u have lots of energy 2 do exercise etc and hence the focus and concentration on other things so u will have lack of sleep sometimes, u will have to drink heaps of water anyway cos u'll be hydrated and u'll be speeding pretty much every day :0
must be actice!! walk every day for 20 mins if u can....around the block a few times even or whatever but do it!!! its amazing what 20 mins of walking will do a day 4 u :) and go 2 the gym just once a week and do some sort of arobic workout 4 only 40 mins...i did body pump which was arobics with weights pretty much which burnt fat and toned muscle at the same time...was fantastic and within a few weeks could seriously see results!!!
so its not really the 'healthy' way to go and i only suggest it if u have quite a lot of weight to loose otherwise do all the stuff i have talked about without the duramine
its also highly monitored by doctors cos itys apparently addictive (mmmm maybe :-/ could be if u let it i guess) and that its basically legal speed!!!
i used it as a kick start and only used it for a few mths to change my eating habbits and get into an exercise regime etc
i lost 70 pounds or there abouts in 18mths (slow and steady is the key if u want to keep it off tho) and have keapt it off 4 a yr now :) good luck :) its very hard work and u must be motivated and focused on ur goal but dont get what i got like and think that loosing weight was the most important thing in ur life...after i found inner peace thats when i was truly happy and im still not the size i want to be and would like to loose another 10-15kgs but if i do its a bonus if i dont well its no biggie cos its just the shell i carry my personality in :D
sorry about the long post....in a chatty mood like i said hehehe
loosing weight is a lifestyle change bot a diet so try and do it without drugs although i do have to agree that dancing on the weekends helped tone me up and keeps me toned up :) and is way fun! :D