View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DXM Scraps & Redundancies

Re: DXM - Your thoughts

goodkarma said:
Your thougts on dextromethorphan aka DXM. Bad, good, your first expierences - hell, even if you've never tried it, what are your impressions of it?
Me, I love it, I like it as much as ketamine and shrooms, I find it to be a very useful tool like marijuana to ketamine. Just because it happens to have another tool of reducing cough doesn't effect my thouhts upon the drug in the least.
For those who enjoy use, how long do you use?
And have you had any adverse effects from your DXM usage. Lets be honest. =)
I try to keep my dosing in the 900mg area and about twice a week maybe even longer, hopefully.
Thanks all.
[ 06 September 2002: Message edited by: goodkarma ]

If I had to describe DXM in one word; it would be -nasty.

I like DXM a lot. The entire experience is not altogether pleasurable, I vomit each time I take it (I've only used pure powder, my friends who have chugged cough syrup also say that cough syrup is much less harsh of a trip). Once the nausea/vomitting passes, I always feel incredible and cleansed. Someone under the influence of DXM will be much more open and direct, avoiding the social lies everyone has a tendency to say. The next day after dexing, I feel reborn and in an incredible mood, with an increased appreciation for life. DXM was also the only drug that I've had an enlightenment experience (attaining Satori, or a brief moment of truth, whatever you want to call it). Overall, DXM rocks.

1)drinking so much syrup sucks

2)the high is too unsteady/dirty, sure it feels kinda good thats why its prolly bad for you. I cant stand the next days slurred speech problems, makes me feel fried.

3)I enjoy the CEVS and OEV patterns!

I cant imagine hitting a 3rd platuea. A high end 2nd pleatuea at a night club felt kinda good. Way better than coke, and depending on the experience, you can force yourself to feel roll like qualities from this. 3rd platoe sounds plain crazy and harmful.

PassMeTheVicks said:
you can force yourself to feel roll like qualities from this.

With butter, jelly, or both?

I've never taken DXM. It doesn't interest me because I'd say less than 50% of the reports I've read are positive and of those, even fewer said they would ever take it again. This chemical seems to have a high rejection rate. It's loved by those that love it, but those people seem to be few and far between.

Also, I just don't like the idea of being in a dissociated state for so many hours. That's what I love about ketamine. I take the shot, I am out ten minutes later visiting other universes and dimensions, and less than an hour later I'm home. Can't beat that! I'm curious to see how alike/different ketamine and DXM are, but I'll just have to leave it to mystery.

I've done DXM twice, both 4oz bottles with only DXM as the active ingredient.

First time felt like being drunk and tripping, but with a horrible underfeeling that I couldn't shake, and the worst itchiness of my life (literally scratched my arms, legs, scalp RAW). overall- hated it, but thought their might be some potiential so I figured id try it again eventually.

Second time, more than a year after the first attempt, same dose. Chugged the bottle and played GTA3 until i felt the effects coming on strong. From that point on I felt like my brain was being dipped in a vat of acid (not the good kind), and images of "this is your brain on drugs" frying eggs accompanied my absolutely horrible experiance. Basically ended up walking around my house and trying to pass out and end that piece of hell.

I know some people love DXM but personally, I tried it out and it went from bad to worse.

Now? You couldn't pay me to ever touch DXM again.

"This chemical seems to have a high rejection rate. It's loved by those that love it, but those people seem to be few and far between."

True, but you should remember that DXM is used more often by kids and people who want to get "fucked up" than traditional psychedelics which may be more of a hassle and more expensive for this group of people.

Personally, I think DXM is a useful tool and a great psychedelic. However, as a substitute for getting drunk/stoned/fuckedup, it sucks!

People need to go into the DXM trip with an intent... something they hope to get out of the trip. Although it can be used for pure entertainment value (I have several times and loved it) I can see why people with less psychedelic experience who are simply looking to get wasted would find this a possibly frightening experience.

I'll put it this way:

Out of people I know who have tried DXM when I wasn't around or guiding the trip to some extent, about 50% really enjoyed it.

Out of the people I introduced it to, or have tripped with, a full 100% absolutely love it.

Its all about how you do it, and why you're doing it, in my opinion. DXM has a lot to offer, but if you're not ready to make the most of it you'll most likely get a dud or a difficult trip.

i enjoy it sometimes, i hate it sometimes. the reason most people reject it is probably because they drink the cough syrup (refering to what mgs said). when i started experimenting, i liked it a lot, like ketamine, but with more of a psych feeling than other dissasociatives. after going above the 1g range it is very intense (dont try this unless youve experimented with the lower plateaus), but also wonderful. i have incredible amounts of energy, and my vision is just downright WACK. extremely high tolerance for pain, i love talking to people when im on it too, much like e. also, the body buzz is amazing, especially when people lightly punch you when youre not paying attention. the worst part in my opinion is the come up, which does usually suck. nausea USUALLY, sometimes i vomit but rarely, especially if you eat the right stuff at the right time. although i did overdose on it a while back, i still do enjoy it. mixing it with weed too is just insane, you go CRAZY!

spectre:

Tell us about your "overdose". What exactly happened and how much did you take?

I am curious because I may have had an "overdose" to some extent recently, although it was only on 360mg... I think it may have been more like a panic attack / allergic reaction combonation.

I have done DXM probably 70 times in the litttle over 2 years since I first tried it. Mostly high 2nd plateau and maybe 15 3ps and 1 low 4p, usually combined with pot. Obviously not much compared to the amount some people have done but it definitely affected me quite a bit when I was using it regularly, though it was not ncessarily bad except my memory was definitely affected during peroids of heavier use, though I rarely used it more than once a week. DXM definitely profoundly altered my philosophical views, and temporarily altered my thought process in interesting ways. I started noticing many perceived coincidences, for example I would be thinking of something and would see something related on TV. This would often happen while I was high but also quite a bit when I was not. I would often see it as a possible message about something. I often felt a bit stoned almost as if I was on a small dose of DXM. All these affects gradually went away when I stopped using DXM for a month or so.

I love the effects of DXM, and have had some wonderful nirvana type experiences from combining a mid to high 2p with pot. I have never had a bad experience on DXM, and find it takes away the anxiety I normally get from pot.

I recommend trying magnesium for bringing back some of the magic of those first trips. I tried 400 mg of DXM with 600 mg of magnesium recently and had one of the best trips I have had in a long time. I will definitely experiment with this more.;)

everlost: i get the same stuff too. i think it's just because DXM makes you INSANE. as for the overdose blue, long story short:

took about 4-5g in 3 hours
convulsions, probably a stroke
mad brain damage
soul being ripped to shreds
reality = 1 dimensional (not fun if you think it is)

u can read my trip report in there somewhere.

hah, im not. well maybe a little. tweaked me out hardcore for months. if i smoked pot, id start trippin balls. dxm is the most god forsaken evil fuckin thing in the world. think im gunna dose another gram in a few days tho q=0). moderation is definately the key when it comes to dxm. thats why buying mass quantities off the internet is a horrible idea for someone who loves to leave there body, entirely.

^^
Dude I can go OBE with 354mg. Have you tried smaller doses and practicing meditation techniques at the same time? I've had larger doses (up to 700mg) but I found it just increased the body load and side effects.

I think most people should be able to tap into 3rd plateau on 354mg unless they are a pretty big person.

If you want to hallucinate on DXM, smoke(or vaporive) some pot on a 3rd plateau and be in a dark place. I get amazing CEVs and sensations of moving and flying through tunnels from this combination. I dont just see the visuals but I am a part of them. You probably won't have hallucintaions unlesss you are in the dark. I have had CEVs from DXM alone, but they were not nearly as impressive. I rarely use pot more than once a week and usually less than that, so when I do(usually with DXM)my tolerance is very low. This is probably partly why I get such strong effects from this combination.

And if you find you enjoy DXM, powder is much cheaper than cough syrup.

I drank a bottle of Tussin (something like 350mg of DXM) and had OEV's and CEV's with minimal body load and few side effects the next day, or after I came down.

If you aren't tripping very long on DXM, preload with some grapefruit juice. It always extends the length of my trip for a long time.

I love DXM. Personally I can't get enough of it. The only advice I have to people is not to take it every week, space it out a little bit. I used to take it every weekend and then it started getting boring and I had to almost double my doses to feel the same as I did before.

Last edited:
i love it ;)

but i cant stand the syrup, it makes me gag to think of that rotten cherry flavour :p so i usually extract DXM from robo max. the DXM hydrocitrate solution is HEAPS nicer. it eliminates much of the nausea that having a stomach full of syrup gives me.

i am fairly new to it, only exploring the first two plateaus. I started with a 150 mg dose, and found it fairly amusing. enough to try again. the slight stimulant effect, combined with some slight dissociation of the body made moving around great fun. i think it fells like your body is a puppet! :) also, everything looks normal (no hallucinations), yet somehow surreal in a dream-like way

i then tried 300mg for a second plateau, but found the movement euphoria turned into movement nausea and i puked cherry red next to a shopping centre, and about 4 times on the way home. the CEVS were pretty intense and amazingly clear, and when i opened my eyes everything looked out of proportion.

i havent smoked much pot on it, as i find that i cant figure out whats doing what and get confused.... 8o
but *consumed* cannabis with DXM goes off, it gives you an unreal body buzz that makes your flesh feel like buzzing electricity

I've never tried the syrup before, it always seemed stupid. I started out doing DexAlones which if you don't know are cough supressant pills with 30mg of Dextromethorphan Hybromide in each pill. Then after I finally got sick of swallowing 20 pills everytime I bought some pure powder. The trip is different with each source.

I'm not a big weed smoker seeing as I barely know my name as it is so I've never tried mixing weed with DXM. I get confused enough while tripping WITHOUT smoking hehe.