• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Young Muslim leader arrested

lil angel15

Bluelight Crew
Daily Telegraph said:
Young Muslim leader arrested
Exclusive by Kara Lawrence and Luke McIlveen
December 13, 2006 12:00

YOUNG Muslim leader Iktimal Hage-Ali – a handpicked adviser to the Prime Minister – was arrested in a cocaine bust eight days before receiving the NSW Young Australian of the Year award.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Ms Hage-Ali, 22, was one of four people arrested by detectives from the Middle Eastern organised crime squad on November 22 as part of Strike Force Kirban.

She was arrested at her Punchbowl home and taken to Bankstown police station, where she was questioned over a cocaine supply ring allegedly operating in Sydney's southwest.

The leading member of John Howard's Muslim Community Reference Group was released without charge.

Police seized what is believed to be prohibited drugs, cash and ammunition from several of the homes.

Ms Hage-Ali's home was not searched, but she had been identified by police as a suspect.

The Daily Telegraph first learned of her arrest last week, but Ms Hage-Ali vehemently denied any involvement or links to alleged drug suppliers.

"If it is true, why hasn't it come out?" she said. "I am a high-profile person, I have no idea why people would be saying this."

The prominent youth leader has worked full-time as a personal assistant in the NSW Attorney-General's department for three months.

Ms Hage-Ali claimed last week that she had only been to Bankstown police station on two occasions – once to report a threatening text message after the Cronulla riots and more recently to talk to police about how to relate better to Muslims.

She did not return calls yesterday, despite repeated requests to respond to the allegations.

A Daily Telegraph investigation has confirmed that Ms Hage-Ali was taken to Bankstown police station on November 22, where she participated in a police interview.

Following the interview, police exercised their discretionary powers to allow her to leave without facing charges.

Ms Hage-Ali was one of four people targeted in the raids.

The other three, males aged 17, 22 and 23, are facing the courts on drug supply charges.

Two were arrested in Telopea St, Punchbowl, while a third was a Greenacre man.

In raids on the men's homes, police allegedly seized cash, pills and powders, believed to be prohibited drugs.

Eight days after the arrests, Ms Hage-Ali received her NSW Young Australian of the Year award from Governor Marie Bashir.

She has been considered a frontrunner for the national award, to be announced on Australia Day.

Ms Hage-Ali is the youngest member of John Howard's Muslim Community Reference Group and a former deputy chair of the State Government's Youth Advisory Council.

She has had access to the highest levels of government and works full-time in the NSW Attorney-General's Department.

The popular young Muslim made headlines last week after members of her own community attacked her for sipping a glass of champagne at the NSW Australian of the Year awards.

Yesterday Middle Eastern organised crime squad commander Detective Superintendent Ken McKay said he was unable to comment because the matter was before the courts.

Ms Hage-Ali lectures police on showing cultural sensitivity to people of Middle Eastern background.

The revelation leaves the PM's already damaged Muslim reference group in even greater doubt.

The group ceased to convene regular meetings in September and Mr Howard wants the whole body overhauled.

Daily Telegraph

Drug raid grounds Muslim high-flyer
Jano Gibson
December 13, 2006 - 2:36PM

Premier Morris Iemma has threatened to sack the NSW young Australian of the Year, Iktimal Hage-Ali, from her government job if she has broken the law.

But publisher News Ltd - which employs Ms Hage-Ali as a writer - is so far standing by her, despite publishing stories today about her alleged involvement in a cocaine bust.

Last week News Ltd hired the young Muslim leader as an online columnist, or blogger.

Today the newspaper publisher's Sydney tabloid, the Daily Telegraph, splashed her across its front page with the heading: "PM'S ADVISER IN DRUG BUST - Police arrest our Young Australian of the Year".

Ms Hage-Ali's reported arrest cast "greater doubt" over the Prime Minister's Muslim Community Reference Group, of which she is a member, the Telegraph said.

But the newspaper failed to mention that Ms Hage-Ali was a blogger who appeared on the News Ltd website news.com.au.

The Telegraph reported that Ms Hage-Ali, 22, was "one of four people arrested by detectives from the Middle Eastern organised crime squad on November 22.

"She was arrested at her Punchbowl home and taken to Bankstown police station, where she was questioned over a cocaine supply ring allegedly operating in Sydney's southwest," the paper said. Ms Hage-Ali was released without charge and denies any wrong doing.

This morning the newspaper publisher was standing by its blogger.

"NEWS.com.au hired Ms Hage-Ali as a contributor to our stable of blogs earlier this month," reported the news.com.au website.

"Her column, It's My Country Too, made a successful debut this week and will be continuing on the website."

However, that sentence has since been removed from the News.com.au website.

News Ltd representatives have not returned calls.

Premier Iemma said the Attorney-General's Department was reviewing its employment of Ms Hage-Ali. Her title as NSW Young Australian of the Year could also be revoked, he said.

"There is a provision if there's any matter found against a winner for the title to be stripped," Mr Iemma said.

"Her employment position is being reviewed by the Attorney-General's Department."

NSW Police Commissioner Ken Moroney confirmed several people had been charged by the Middle Eastern Crime Squad in relation to the alleged drug ring.

"Other persons have been arrested and charged by the Middle Eastern Organised Crime Squad and those matters are pending before the courts," Mr Moroney said.

"The police investigation by the Middle Eastern Crime Squad is continuing."

with AAP

The Age

OPINION (with comments section)

Drugs, a blog and a hair of the dog
Posted by Jack Marx
December 13, 2006 12:33 PM

In what looks like the shortest newspaper blogging career in history, Young Muslim leader, NSW Young Australian of the Year and advisor to the PM, Iktimal Hage-Ali, has notched up a staggering one day on her blog, It's My Country Too, before being boned by her employer and blog overlord, News Ltd. Iktimal kicked off well enough on Monday with a post about P-plate drivers, and a healthy reader response suggested the blog was off to a rattling good start. But I can reveal those first few days of a newspaper blog can be nervous times for the author, as phones don't ring and emails don't "ding-dong" with messages telling you you're the talk of the canteen. Iktimal's suspicions that her new employer may not have been entirely behind her were no doubt aroused this morning when she spotted the front page of Sydney's The Daily Telegraph.

The story's here, if you wish to read it - a strange tale of cocaine and folk of Middle Eastern appearance.

"The Daily Telegraph first learned of her arrest last week, but Ms Hage-Ali vehemently denied any involvement or links to alleged drug suppliers. 'If it is true, why hasn't it come out?' she said. 'I am a high-profile person, I have no idea why people would be saying this.'"

The Tele reports Iktimal "did not return calls yesterday", and I can reveal she's not answering her own blog, which is still quietly flickering in its News Limited bungalow. Guess when a news organisation's chasing you, and all other means of communicating the bad news have been exhausted, the front page doesn't look like such a bad idea after all - particularly when the next biggest story of the day's not exactly going to see record crowds at the water cooler.

She hasn't been charged with anything, and for all we know has never touched a drug in her life.

The obvious way out of this for both Iktimal and the Tele is for the truth to be told, at long, long last, in Iktimal's own words in a 12-page extravaganza on a reenergized It's My Country Too.

Worked a treat for me back in June.

I was up all night doing battle with the 'outraged' and I need to have a Bex and a good lie down.

Age Blogs: Jack Marx

Sydney Morning Herald said:
Young Muslim's Aussie title at risk
Jano Gibson and AAP
December 14, 2006

THE Premier, Morris Iemma, has threatened to sack the NSW Young Australian of the Year, Iktimal Hage-Ali, from her government job if she has broken the law.

Ms Hage-Ali, 22, a member of the Prime Minister's Muslim Community Reference Group, was questioned and released last month by Middle Eastern organised crime squad detectives investigating an alleged cocaine supply ring.

Through her lawyer, Stephen Hopper, Ms Hage-Ali said she had never been involved in supplying drugs. She said she was distressed by media reports of her arrest and had taken leave from her job at the NSW Attorney-General's Department.

The Prime Minister, John Howard, described Ms Hage-Ali's reported arrest as "unfortunate". Mr Iemma said she could lose her title. "There is a provision, if there's any matter found against a winner, for the title to be stripped," Mr Iemma said. "Her employment position is being reviewed."

Mr Hopper said police had assured him they had no intention of charging Ms Hage-Ali. "At no time has she engaged in the supply of any prohibited substances, nor has she provided assistance to any person involved in this sort of activity."

The Police Commissioner, Ken Moroney, said several people had been charged over the alleged drug ring and investigations were continuing.

The reference group, which was established to address Islamic extremism and promote tolerance, stopped regular meetings in September.

Yesterday the publisher News Ltd - which employs Ms Hage-Ali as a writer - appeared to stand by her, despite its front page Daily Telegraph headline: "PM's adviser in drug bust".

The newspaper failed to mention Ms Hage-Ali was a blogger on the News Ltd website. Yesterday the website said her column would continue, but that message was removed, along with her blog entries. It now says the blog is "under review".

SMH

I just heard she gave up her Australian of the year title because she couldn't handle the media..... yeah right lol

Hage-Ali gives up title after drug raid
James Madden
December 15, 2006

YOUNG Muslim leader Iktimal Hage-Ali has described her distress at having to relinquish her NSW Young Australian of the Year title after revelations that she was caught up in drug raids in western Sydney last month.

Ms Hage-Ali, the youngest member of John Howard's handpicked Muslim Community Reference Group, was arrested last month by Middle Eastern Organised Crime Squad detectives investigating an alleged cocaine supply ring but was released without charge.

While admitting yesterday that she had some involvement with the men who have been charged in relation to the drug raid, Ms Hage-Ali said she was shattered at the consequences of being publicly smeared by the allegations.

"I have made poor judgments and I have made some mistakes and I regret it," Ms Hage-Ali told the Seven Network. "But people forget that I was not charged and I won't be charged."

It is understood that she admitted to police that she had purchased a small amount of cocaine for personal use on a number of occasions.

An emotional Ms Hage-Ali, 22, said she "didn't think it was right" to hold the title of NSW Young Australian of the Year "while there is so much negative publicity surrounding my circumstances".

Ms Hage-Ali has also withdrawn from the Young Australian of the Year national process and has taken leave from her job at the NSW Attorney-General's Department.

The president of the Islamic Friendship Association of Australia, Keysar Trad, last night praised Ms Hage-Ali for relinquishing her award.

The Australian

Regrets? I've had a few
By Luke McIlveen and Kara Lawrence
December 15, 2006 12:00

CONTROVERSIAL Muslim role model Iktimal Hage-Ali is allegedly a cocaine user arrested in the same raid as a youth linked to the killer of schoolboy Edward Lee.

The youth – who appeared in Parramatta Children's Court yesterday charged with drug supply – was caught at the same time Ms Hage-Ali was arrested by Strike Force Kirban on November 22.

Ms Hage-Ali, 22, handed back her NSW Young Australian of the Year award yesterday and last night admitted: "I have made poor judgments and I have made some mistakes and I regret it."

The Daily Telegraph this week exposed details of her arrest in the cocaine raid.

A covert police investigation allegedly established that Ms Hage-Ali was a cocaine user.

The juvenile and two adult males, Mohammed Fahda, 23, and Khoder Katrib, 22, are accused of supplying drugs. The 17-year-old from Telopea St, Punchbowl, cannot be named for legal reasons.

He appeared briefly in court yesterday and has not entered a plea to one charge of supplying a prohibited drug.

He is linked to a man convicted of killing schoolboy Edward Lee in Telopea St in 1998.

Mr Lee was stabbed to death by Mustapha Dib during a brawl between Asian and Lebanese gangs. Dib was convicted of manslaughter.

Ms Hage-Ali was not charged after the cocaine bust. She initially denied the claims, but agreed to relinquish her award yesterday.

"It is with a heavy heart that I relinquish this award and I sincerely thank the organisers and the people who have supported me," she said.

"I do not want circumstances that affect me to diminish the status of the award or the fine reputation of people who work hard to make this award what it is."

As Ms Hage-Ali dropped out of the Australia Day honours process, more details of her acquaintances came to light.

When reporters attended Ms Hage-Ali's Punchbowl home for comment this week, a black Porsche bearing the number plate "FE1ONY" pulled up at the house.

An unidentified man began threatening reporters with violence if they did not leave.

The Daily Telegraph has established the Porsche belongs to a man who is well-known to police.

The men charged in the raids will appear at a bail hearing in Bankstown Local Court on Monday.

Daily Telegraph

A fairly unfortunate turn of events for this young lady.

It is understood that she admitted to police that she had purchased a small amount of cocaine for personal use on a number of occasions.

If every politician, celebrity, sports star or other public figure who has done the same was exposed, shamed and lost their positions, most Western democracies would probably struggle to have a functioning system of government, let alone any people to entertain them on TV.

Sydeny Morning Herald said:
Hage-Ali silent on drug-use claims
Jamie Pandaram
December 15, 2006 - 10:49AM

The embattled young Muslim leader, Iktimal Hage-Ali, is refusing to comment on allegations that she uses drugs.

Referring to an article in today's The Daily Telegraph, which accused her of being a cocaine user, an emotional Ms Hage-Ali said on ABC radio this morning: "In today's paper I've been linked to a person who drives a black Porche. I don't know anyone who drives a black Porche."

She refused to comment on the Telegraph's allegations because she may be "in contempt of court", with proceedings underway against the men arrested by Strike Force Kirban on November 22.

"I haven't been charged. I was taken [by police] but I was released a few hours later," she said.

"My lawyer and myself have received assurance from the police that no charges will be laid against me."

When questioned on radio about her association with alleged drug dealers, she said: "Poor judgement and hindsight are great things."

"There is a lot of people I associate with, many people from various areas of the community, it is impossible to know the background of every person."

She said she had decided to relinquish her NSW Young Australian of the Year title because she did not want to bring a negative element to the award.

"I didn't feel that it was right for me to be selfish and hold onto the award while there was so much negative speculation.

"I will continue my work in the community because that is what I have been doing for so long."

News Ltd, publisher of The Daily Telegraph, last week hired Ms Hage-Ali, 22, to write a blog for its website.

The blog has since been deleted, but representatives of News Ltd's website, news.com.au, have declined to say whether she has been sacked as an online columnist.

Ms Hage-Ali was questioned by police investigating a drug-dealing ring but was released without charge. However, three men apparently known to the young Muslim woman were charged.

"There have been numerous instances of inaccurate reporting," Ms Hage-Ali said.

A young Muslim leader, Nader Hamdan, has slammed Ms Hage-Ali's treatment by the Telegraph, who had earlier portrayed her as a victim of hardline Muslim bloggers - who chastised her for drinking alcohol at the NSW Young Australian of the Year award ceremony - before "exposing" her as an associate of the alleged cocaine syndicate.

"The Telegraph knew about her being questioned about this drug matter and put her on a pedestal as the fresh face of Muslim youth last week, having her on covers of their paper," Hamdan, a former Australian boxing champion, said.

"She was their darling and then they shot her down, not only doing her plenty of damage but also to the Australian Muslim community. They set this sensational story up.

"They played her, she's young, honest and she was gullible, they are parasites for doing this to her. Everyone knows Telegraph is a anti-Muslim paper."

A spokesman for the Telegraph said: "If this bloke has got a problem with our reporting he should contact us."

Hamdan, 32, is an active voice among youths in the Bankstown and Canterbury areas, working to steer troubled young Muslim men from street crime to sport and education.

Hamdan himself had troubles with the law as a teenager before turning his life around through boxing. At his peak he was the world number two middleweight behind American great Oscar De La Hoya.

He said there were Muslims who did not approve of Ms Hage-Ali as a representative of their religion, but offered his support to her.

"Within the Muslim community she isn't liked by certain sections and I'm sure they are happy with this. I say we should all support her because she was trying to do positive for the Muslim community as a whole, even though at times naively, but she's young.

"I'm sure she's learned a lot from this and next time her guard will be up. My message to her is keep your chin up - you're guilty of nothing but letting your guard down and trusting the wrong people."

Ms Hage-Ali has taken mutual leave from her job as a project manager at the NSW Attorney-General's Department, but insisted she would return "when everything blows over".

She is also a member of Prime Minister John Howard's Muslim Community Reference Group.

SMH

Former Young Australian candidate Iktimal Hage-Ali admits cocaine use, sues state
By Larissa Cummings
The Daily Telegraph
December 09, 2008 03:20pm

A FORMER Young Australian of the Year contender who says she is not ashamed of her drug use is suing the state over her arrest in a drug bust.

Sydney woman Iktimal Hage-Ali, 24, a former member of prime minister John Howard's Muslim advisory group, was arrested in a police raid at her mother's home in Sydney's southwest on November 22, 2006.

It was eight days before she was named New South Wales Young Australian of the Year, The Daily Telegraph reports.

She was released without charge after she admitted buying cocaine for personal use.

In the media storm that followed, Ms Hage-Ali relinquished her state title, ending her nomination for the national award.

Ms Hage-Ali, who moved to Dubai less than a month after she was arrested, is suing the New South Wales Government for wrongful arrest and detention.

Ms Hage-Ali claimed she was forced to move overseas after threats to her safety and that of her family.

"I'm not ashamed of the fact that I have used cocaine," she said.

"My concern is that I said I had bought that cocaine for my own personal use ... I know that I took drugs but I still did a good job."

Under cross-examination by counsel for the State Government, Patrick Saidi, Ms Hage-Ali said she bought cocaine up to three times a week "on some occasions" but denied it was a $750-a-week habit.

She said she relinquished her state title only because of bad publicity and saw nothing wrong with accepting the award after she had been arrested.

"I gave eight years to the community ... I was going to accept the recognition if it was awarded to me," she said.

The hearing before Judge Michael Elkaim continues.

News.com.au

It's refreshing to see a high profile person who has been caught up with this sort of thing say that they are not ashamed of their use... but I thought drug use was against the teachings of Islam? That's what my class was taught when we visited a mosque, that they must keep their minds unclouded.

I also don't know if she has much of a case for wrongful arrest; she admitted she bought and used cocaine - she broke the law, I don't see how there was anything 'wrongful' about the arrest, apart from my disagreement with drug laws in general.

I agree blondey ..

She is a typical muslim who will use just that as her defence I'm a muslim so i deserve special treatment blah fucking blah ..

she got death threats hahaha that was from her own kind cause she dont wear that towel around her head and she uses cocaine and who knows what else and the elder muslims would be disgusted in her....

funny how she waited for everything to cool down before jumping in the spotlight again ...

hope shes getting a family member as a lawyer so she might not have to pay them for their services cause this will cost her a bit of $$ especially paying for the courts time and police and so on...

She is a cocaine user ... she bought 3 times a week off some cousin of hers and he is the one if you remember showing up at the house in his drug dealing car and fancy numberplates threatenning the media to fuck off ... She associates with real pieces of pig shit and she got caught in a raid .. booo hooooo ...

She wont get anything from this but be shamed again & of her family etc ....

Even though I dont really like the police around , when your in need of help 80% of the time they actually do something ...

The police have a job to do and taking them to court even though you were in the wrong.is pointless unless of course your assaulted ..

Im thinking she is going to use the poor muslim excuse to win her case ... and you know what considering they changed that new movie with Vince vaugn " Four Christmases " well in Australia not to upset the muslims here they changed it to " Four Holidays " so that means she might actually have a chance of winning.

If truly muslims want peace then they had better speak up and respect our christmas carol singing and all the usual xmas stuff no matter what part of Australia ... just as we respect their way of life.

I heard that westfield shopping centre out west sydney dont even have any xmas decorations or even a Santa clause cause its a muslim based suburb ...and its also ironic that the owner of Westfields australia wide is a Jew .... and they have had xmas stuff at every westfields for years , apparently they are afraid that they would be a terrorist attack if they have xmas stuff at that particular shopping centre in that area where there is a mosque up the road etc. This Is what I have heard from radio and from people who live out that way.Christmas is near but it dont seem that way out west :( But if anyone living out west sydney could add something please do so.

Before you class me as racist I grew up in an area where in one street there where only like 4 anglo aussies living & I was pretty much only white aussie at school and have many friends of many backgrounds even muslim so before you place me in that imbred redneck category.. I'm not racist ... I hate everbody hahahahah

To any muslims reading this may you have a very peaceful christmas & peaceful new year .. and may God bless you & your family .... Merry xmas & happy New year to all :)

Last edited:
It's refreshing to see a high profile person who has been caught up with this sort of thing say that they are not ashamed of their use... but I thought drug use was against the teachings of Islam? That's what my class was taught when we visited a mosque, that they must keep their minds unclouded.

I've partied with Muslims, perhaps not devout, fundamentalist types but certainly practicing enough to observe Ramadan. Islam is no different to any other religion, followers of whom will choose to interpret certain parts of scripture in their own way.

It's only perhaps in our way of seeing the world we expect that all Muslims are devout goodie-goodies who always follow the rules when that's not the case for any faith. Australian society being what it is (hedonistic), if there were gay, pill-popping Muslims anywhere in the world, it wouldn't be a surprise to find them here. ;)

^ Yeah I should have thought of that... I'm not exactly the most religious Jew you'll find, ha ha.

First of all, unless you are Alifist (i.e. Wahhabist) you are not forbiddent to get high, only drink of the grape although it is now universally understood to mean any alcoholic drink.

You can walk through Khan Younis Camp in Gaza and if you wrre carrying a bottle of Jim Beam literally get beaten to death, or you could be sitting in front of your home with a nargileh (called "hookah" for some reasons by alot of Westerners), a chunk of chocolate Lebanese and party all day and all you will hear is A'Sala'am Aleikum Habibi.

Alternatively you could head over to Yemen or Somalia where they are very observant Muslims and chew Khat all day long, part and parcel of the culture. Khat of course being in the same family of substances of cocaine so any Muslim threatening her for her cocaine ussage better be a Wahhabi or they are an ignoramus and hyspcrite of the first kind. I will not even begin to talk about how deluded Salafist/Wahhabist Theology is.

MrBlonde: "Keeping minds unclouded...": Nope. They copped the Jewish attitude. One can "build" by using certain intoxicants. We of course are COMMANDED to get high on Simchat Torah, Purim, Pesach's first night (Pesach Layla Reeshone) not to mention, if you take it to the extreme, every Shabbat. Remember the injunction from the Purim Haggaddah, "Partake until you cannot tell Haman from Mordechai..."

Islam's big problem is with wine, and since the Middle Ages with just about all alcohol. Wahhabiism only was invented in the mid 1750s CE/AD and since then there has been that nauseating and false Saudi style moral policing, but then that is why at Hajj right now they are forced to deploy more than 100,000 23ll armed soldiers, just shows how powerful their way of thinking is...NOT.

rachamim said:
We of course are COMMANDED to get high on Simchat Torah, Purim, Pesach's first night (Pesach Layla Reeshone) not to mention, if you take it to the extreme, every Shabbat.

I, of course, consider myself an extremist. ;)

Interesting about what you are saying about their teachings regarding intoxication... so this guy that my class heard from may have been full of shit? For what it's worth he got in this debate with our teacher as well about whether Jesus was a Muslim or not.

Kingpin007, in case you didn't know, Australia is a SECULAR and multicultural society. My heritage is Irish Catholic, and I don't celebrate Chinese new year, Ramadan or Yom Kippur. Does that make me less Australian. Hell, I don't even celebrate Christmas except for lunch at mum and dads. Keep your voodoo death cult magic out of my shopping centers and schools. You have every right to believe what you want, but so does everyone else. So long as it doesn't interfere with my believes. The intolerance you spout is reminiscent of the Muslim extremism that you are obviously so afraid of. The terrorist have succeeded in spreading fear and hatred to you.

^ We are a secular society, but Christmas is now such a complete distortion from it's original purpose that I don't really consider trees and Santas in shopping centers to be religious at all. It's just a part of Western Culture; Christianity is entwined with the history of the west, and though the influence of religion has declined in our society we have still absorbed traditions from it.

Having said that, it wouldn't bother me were it all to disappear tomorrow.

^ We are a secular society, but Christmas is now such a complete distortion from it's original purpose that I don't really consider trees and Santas in shopping centers to be religious at all. It's just a part of Western Culture; Christianity is entwined with the history of the west, and though the influence of religion has declined in our society we have still absorbed traditions from it.

Having said that, it wouldn't bother me were it all to disappear tomorrow.

Thats exactly right. Other faiths find it very offensive to "cash in" on God. But it seems to me that Christianity has allowed the prostituting of christmas in a desperate final attempt to sway people to their believes. The whole santa/coca-cola thing is a good example. Faith is the enemy of reason. I worship science.

Oh dear a scientologist ...

Runs away before someone starts jumping on the lounge .. :)

I agree on christmas day I see my kid and then hang out with friends ... its just a day off to get wasted.Children love christmas and they should be allowed to enjoy it no matter where they live.

If anyone has to blame for all this political correctness it's our government but the muslims dont seem to care even though it will affect them more so in the long run.