Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Australian defence force

volume-A

Bluelighter
Hi, does anyone know for sure which drugs you are tested for? I will apply for a position in the ADF and while i have a legal prescription for a benzodiazpine, i do not want this to impare a posible career hence not mention it.

If they do test for benzos i will simply stop taking them, but if they only test for the usual rec drugs ill continue to take them.

Thanks!

Im pretty sure they test for Benzos. But you have a script so it should be fine.

Try writting an annomous email to the ADF asking if its ok if you have a perscription to benzos and if you still pass the test.

After some quick research it appears that they do test for benzos. Have a look at the information below and the links for further details.

ILLEGAL USE OF DRUGS AND DRUG EDUCATION IN THE ROYAL AUSTRALIAN NAVY said:
ANNEX A TO
DI(N) PERS 13-1

LIST OF EXAMPLES OF PROHIBITED SUBSTANCES D

CAUTION: This is not an exhaustive list of prohibited substances. For a full list of prohibited substances see the Customs Act 1901 definition of ‘narcotic substance’ and items S1, S2, S3, and S5 of The World Anti-Doping Code, 2005 Prohibited List.

1. The following list provides examples of prohibited substance by type:

a. Narcotic substances including amphetamine, cannabinoids, cocaine, codeine,
heroin, hydrocodone, morphine, methadone, opium, pentazocine and pethidine;

b. Anabolic agents (steroids) including androstenediol, androstenedione and
dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA);

c. Hormones and related substances including erythropoietin (EPO), growth hormone (hGH), gonadotrophins (LH, hCG), insulin, insulin-like Growth Factor (IGF–1) and corticotrophins;

d. Beta–2 agents including bambuterol, clenbuterol, fenoterol, formoterol and reproterol;

e. Diuretics and other masking agents including acetazolamide, bumetanide,
etacrynic acid, frusemide (furosemide), triamterene, epitestosterone, alpha-reductase inhibitors, and plasma expanders; and

f. Benzodiazepines including diazepam (valium), temazepam (normison), flunitrazepam (rohypnol) and oxazepam (serepax).

ILLEGAL USE OF DRUGS AND DRUG EDUCATION IN THE ROYAL
AUSTRALIAN NAVY

All the answers on drug testing

15-drugs_lo.jpg

If they use the test in the image above it would be safe to say they test for THC, Cocaine, Opiates, Methamphetamine and Benzos. The InstaCheck® Drug Screen is a 5 Panel Screen Cassette designed to allow up to 5 drugs to be screened. The following link will provide you with further information on the InstaCheck® Drug Screen.

Last edited:
I would HIGHLY doubt that you would get stung for using benzos when they are legally prescribed... Remember, the ADF has full health benefits (some of my mates are medicos and dentists in the Navy etc.), and they prescribe them.

I'll bring your attention to the bolded text in the following.

Air Force News said:
What drugs will be tested for?

ILLICIT drugs that can be tested for under this program include:

• Narcotic substances as defined in the Customs Act 1901 (e.g. marijuana, cocaine, opiates, LSD, and methylamphetamines);

• Those drugs whose possession or use is prohibited or restricted by:
  • Commonwealth, State or Territory laws which are applicable to a member;
  • The law of any country to which a member is deployed and is bound to observe;
  • Or as prohibited by order of a commander of a force deployed overseas
  • Any drug the use of which is inconsistent with, or is unrelated to, its prescribed use (for example benzodiazepines); or
  • Any other drug or substance (e.g. steroids and magic mushrooms) allowed for testing under DI(AF) PERS 4-26-Illicit Drug Testing in Air Force.

Air Force News

If you are using Benzos for a medical condition than it would be highly unlikely that you would face legal consequences in Defence, as long as it wasn't recreational. I imagine the Instacheck would simply be an initial test with quantitative testing taking place if any positives are returned.

Keeping this in mind, I would also imagine that Defence would be hesitant in employing someone who has a pre existing medical condition that requires medication. Although Defence have full health benefits, someone with a medical condition that requires medication may be considered a liability and unable to carry out their duties.

The information detailed below provides guidance on what would be required medically prior to joining the ADF. A determination will be made on how pre existing medical conditions may effect your performance during training and employment prior to enlistment.

I know of an instance where an individual was rejected from enlisting to Defence due to a pre existing medical condition that required medication. Although the medication could be foregone with no ill effects, Defence determined that the individual was still unsuitable for enlistment.

Defence Jobs said:
MEDICAL EXAMINATION

As part of your application you will be required to complete a detailed Medical History Questionnaire and undergo a full medical examination by a qualified medical officer at the Recruiting Unit.

EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITIONS

If you have any existing medical condition you must disclose it to allow a judgement to be made on the relevance of that condition to your training and performance. Failure to disclose it may result in your discharge from the ADF.

Such conditions include:

asthma or other breathing problems
diabetes
epilepsy or other seizures
recurrent back pain
migraines
any condition which requires regular visits to your doctor, or
any health problem for which you take regular medication.

Any reports that you can bring from your own doctor will help the medical officer to make a fair and timely decision. You should consult medical staff through your local Recruiting Centre if you wish to obtain advice about any of these conditions and how it may affect you.

Defence Jobs

Im not worried about legal consequences obviously because i have a script and they are legal.

The thing is it certainly isnt going to to me any favors tho being on benzos in regards to getting employment with the ADF, so i won't have them in my system when i apply.

Thanks alot for the help guys n gals.

they probably wont let you in so just dont tell them and dont take any benzos before the recruitment shit becuz they test u but after that take em if they test you again show them the script and explain that you believed you would be discriminated against because of your mental condition so you lied at recruitment

Hater said:
they probably wont let you in so just dont tell them and dont take any benzos before the recruitment shit becuz they test u but after that take em if they test you again show them the script and explain that you believed you would be discriminated against because of your mental condition so you lied at recruitment

I don't think that is a particularly good idea. The OP has obviously been prescribed Benzos by his doctor to assist in the treatment of some sort of condition. If the OP does gain entry into the ADF, continues to use Benzos and is then tested, he will return a positive result which could mean he would face some type of disciplinary action or even be discharged.

I'll bring your attention to information detailed below.

Defence Jobs said:
EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITIONS

If you have any existing medical condition you must disclose it to allow a judgement to be made on the relevance of that condition to your training and performance. Failure to disclose it may result in your discharge from the ADF.

If the OP tested positive to Benzos and had not declared it at initial enlistment, the ADF would consider the result inconsistent with prescription use as they had not prescribed the drug to the OP and were not aware of any condition requiring a Benzo prescription. See information detailed below.

Air Force News said:
What drugs will be tested for?

Any drug the use of which is inconsistent with, or is unrelated to, its prescribed use (for example benzodiazepines);

I hope this information helps. :)

I was in the Navy for 6 years. Im fairly certain they test for pretty much the most common stuff i.e THC, amphetamines, XTC etc. I just stopped doing drugs all together for three months before joining. I also went and got an independant test done to make sure I was clean. And dont worry about after you get into the ADF because in the 6 years I was in I never got tested once. They have a random testing policy I think 5% of the defence force gets checked over a whole year. The thing is if the ADF tested everyone at one time there wouldn't be a defence force and they know that. I had 2 mates that were notorious pillers and potheads and they were getting warnings from their bosses to be careful. The Navy was a sea of drugs when I was in. I remember working in FIMA (fleet intermediate maintenance activity) Cairns in their Shipwrights department. There was 12 junior sailors working there and 9 of them I knew were into drugs. Good times.

^^^
oh yeah great work again lil angel, your a really handy moderator keep up the excellent work :)

I was forwarded this information that might be useful here:

anonymous said:
...clearance within the adf also determines how, what and how often they will test him for drugs. any position with a security clearance higher than restricted will score him tests at least once every 2-5 years. having a desk job rather than being out in the field reduces this.

the stats posted don't apply to adf civilians also, i believe they're the ones for reservists. as a general rule of thumb, the army are the most diligent.

drugs in the ADF

They test for all drugs, you have to tell them of anything you have taken prior to having the test. Things like memory boost, gym drugs etc can show higher than normal levels of certain substances. If a test shows up positive, it is then sent away to be tested again to let them know exactly what the substance was and how much. Some people don't get kicked out the first time, it depends on how much they need you and how well you work etc. You will also be volunterred for all random testing and if you come back with a second positive ever again you will be booted.

Log onto a website that explains the new tests ( they can tell if you tamper with them) and it will tell you what they test for but the one your taking is definitely on the list I think. If a doctor prescribed it then they will then go into the medical reasons of whether or not you will be fit to join so be careful.

Thanks for all the info guys, always noticed a fair number of ADF people around. :)

Yeh once again thanks everyone for the replies was interesting and gave me a pretty clear indication that i need to go in there clean as a whistle! :)