Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Australian - 22/11/2006 'Bali locals dobbed in ice woman'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Bali locals dobbed in ice woman
Stephen Fitzpatrick, Jakarta correspondent
November 22, 2006

A MELBOURNE woman arrested in Bali for possession of the drug ice was dobbed in to police by locals suspicious of the 35-year-old's behaviour.

Michelle Dawn Condon, a regular visitor to the Indonesian holiday island, was arrested in the tourist precinct of Sanur last Thursday, police said.

She was in possession of 0.2g of the drug, a type of methamphetamine also known as crystal meth - and locally as shabu shabu - whose use initially produces euphoria but is highly addictive and can produce paranoid rages in users.

"According to her confession, she is only a user, not a dealer," police spokeswoman Sri Harmiti said.

The distinction is important because it is often used in drug cases to escape the far stiffer jail terms that go with trafficking charges. However, Ms Condon could still face five years' jail if found guilty.

Ms Harmiti said Ms Condon, who had an Indonesian boyfriend and was staying with him at a cheap guesthouse in Poppies Lane, Kuta, was reported by locals through an SMS dob-in-a-crook service.

Ms Condon is being held in Bali's central police headquarters during the interrogation phase of the case, but will probably be transferred to Kerobokan jail, where her fellow inmates will include Schapelle Corby and Bali Nine heroin courier Renae Lawrence.

The jail is basic, though probably more comfortable than most Australian prisons.

The Australian

No surprises there. It is a widely accepted fact that when travelling to parts of Asia, especially Indonesia and Thailand, that great care must be taken if you are to indulge in the local drugs. The locals get kick backs from the police for dobbing in the foreigners and more often than not the police get kick backs from the accused.

Anyone who is planning a trip to parts of Asia, please be careful if you want to indulge. :)

lil angel15 said:
The locals get kick backs from the police for dobbing in the foreigners

I would hate to live in a country that had policies like this. there is nothing i hate more than the type of people who 'dob' others in. sure if you see someone breaking into your neighbours house, call the cops, but if you think someone is breaking a law that in no way affects you or anyone else, then mind your own fucking business.

All I can honestly say is you're a f***ing idiot to use drugs in these countries and deserve your 20 years to life or death penalty if you're so stupid to risk it.

Why would you even take the slightest chance, it's mind boggling.

poor bitch, how unlucky. I hope she gets a lenient punishment. But for fucks sake how dumb is she? Surely she knew about bali's draconian legal system. Why gamble with your life for a lousy 2 points?

^^ HOLY SHIT! I knew Indonesia's laws were tough when it came to trafficking, but possibly facing five years jail for 2 points of meth?

fuck!

If you can't go on a holiday without needing to take drugs then there's someting wrong with you I reckon.

I don't have much sympathy for her, she knew the score when she puchased them.

Aussie drug user freed from Bali jail
From correspondents in Denpasar
February 15, 2007 09:11pm

AN Australian woman convicted on drug charges in Bali has been freed from jail after serving her three-month sentence.

Michelle Dawn Condon, 35, joked that she would "go eat durian first" as she left the Kerobokan prison in Denpasar, referring to the notoriously pungent fruit native to South-East Asia.

Wearing a white shirt and jeans and carrying a sports bag, Condon was driven away by immigration officials.

Condon's lawyer Muhammad Hussein, who was present at her release today, said she would fly home to Australia later in the day but gave no specific details.

The Denpasar state district court ruled on February 6 that Condon was guilty of drug use but cleared her of trafficking. She was sentenced to three months minus the time she had already spent in detention.

The Australian was carrying 0.2gm of crystal methamphetamine when she was arrested. Prosecutors said a medical examination revealed Condon was a long-time addict.

Condon is the latest Australian to be convicted on drugs charges in Indonesia.

Six of her compatriots have been sentenced to death for drug trafficking.

They are members of the so-called Bali Nine gang convicted of smuggling heroin.

The other three were given life sentences.

Schapelle Corby was convicted of trafficking marijuana into Bali and jailed for 20 years.

Indonesia has been handing down stiff penalties for drug traffickers and users, with 35 other convicts on death row for narcotics offences.

News.com.au

May I just reiterate warnings to those who are thinking of possessing drugs in South East Asia.
Some friends and I recently went back packing across thailand. To my great annoyance several of my friends decided that they could not travel around the country without smoking bud. The main way we used to get around from town to town was via my friends car (he is an American citizen but has lived in thailand all his life, so he is familiar with the laws and police practices so should have known better). The problem with driving around in thailand is that have police and army checkpoints on the roads, where they can stop and search cars whenever they want. My friends were inconsiderate dickheads and put the entire group at risk of heavy jail time as at times they were travelling with up to 2 onces of bud! I constantly complained about the danger of this and yet they still wanted to smoke in the car whilst driving around heavily checkpointed areas, even on the boarder of thailand and burma, where there are thorough inspections due to the level of drug trafficking in the area. I was not listened too, and was even accused of being paranoid and annoying!

Anyway to cut the story short, two of my friends (one of them the american who lived in thailand and the other an aussie) where travelling back from Laos and were driving through thailand back to bangkok. They had a small amount of weed on them. there is a strong possibility that they were stupid enough to be carrying weed across the Laos/thai border which could of landed them in very severe trouble. Anyway, they passed through a checkpoint and were told that the car was going to be searched. Around 3grams of bud was found and both were imprisoned for a short amount of time. they had to share a cell with 50 other people, some of whom were murderers and rapists. The aussie friend was let go with no charge, but the other friend, who owned the car was detained further. Though been able to speak fluent thai, and having plenty of money he was unable to secure a bribe to be released without charge. He has been charged, is currently on bail and will face court in a few months. he may face jail time, or he may be fined and deported to the states and have his student visa to australia revoked. either way he is screwed.

The point of this story? Be fucking careful with drugs in Asia! Don't travel with drugs, don't carry drugs on you in public. In many of these countries police can search you for no reason at all. they are also corrupt and have been known to plant drugs on you. the police go undercover and pretend to be dealers, particulalry at the full moon parties at Koh Phagnan thailand. dealers will also dob in tourists for a cut of the bribes. If you can't afford to pay the bribes ( 50,000 baht in thailand = $2000), then you will be charged and probably go to jail. and remember you must have the language skills necessary to negotiate a bribe.
My advice do not take drugs in South-East Asia. if you do take the risk, don't carry in public, do it in private, be very careful who you buy off and maybe just stick to mushroom shakes that can be bought at some places. they are still illegal but are more tolerated by the police.

Thanks for that psytaco... such warnings can never be reiterated enough, especially with so many young Aussies choosing SE Asia as a holiday destination these days.

psytaco said:
May I just reiterate warnings to those who are thinking of possessing drugs in South East Asia.
Some friends and I recently went back packing across thailand. To my great annoyance several of my friends decided that they could not travel around the country without smoking bud. The main way we used to get around from town to town was via my friends car (he is an American citizen but has lived in thailand all his life, so he is familiar with the laws and police practices so should have known better). The problem with driving around in thailand is that have police and army checkpoints on the roads, where they can stop and search cars whenever they want. My friends were inconsiderate dickheads and put the entire group at risk of heavy jail time as at times they were travelling with up to 2 onces of bud! I constantly complained about the danger of this and yet they still wanted to smoke in the car whilst driving around heavily checkpointed areas, even on the boarder of thailand and burma, where there are thorough inspections due to the level of drug trafficking in the area. I was not listened too, and was even accused of being paranoid and annoying!

Anyway to cut the story short, two of my friends (one of them the american who lived in thailand and the other an aussie) where travelling back from Laos and were driving through thailand back to bangkok. They had a small amount of weed on them. there is a strong possibility that they were stupid enough to be carrying weed across the Laos/thai border which could of landed them in very severe trouble. Anyway, they passed through a checkpoint and were told that the car was going to be searched. Around 3grams of bud was found and both were imprisoned for a short amount of time. they had to share a cell with 50 other people, some of whom were murderers and rapists. The aussie friend was let go with no charge, but the other friend, who owned the car was detained further. Though been able to speak fluent thai, and having plenty of money he was unable to secure a bribe to be released without charge. He has been charged, is currently on bail and will face court in a few months. he may face jail time, or he may be fined and deported to the states and have his student visa to australia revoked. either way he is screwed.

The point of this story? Be fucking careful with drugs in Asia! Don't travel with drugs, don't carry drugs on you in public. In many of these countries police can search you for no reason at all. they are also corrupt and have been known to plant drugs on you. the police go undercover and pretend to be dealers, particulalry at the full moon parties at Koh Phagnan thailand. dealers will also dob in tourists for a cut of the bribes. If you can't afford to pay the bribes ( 50,000 baht in thailand = $2000), then you will be charged and probably go to jail. and remember you must have the language skills necessary to negotiate a bribe.
My advice do not take drugs in South-East Asia. if you do take the risk, don't carry in public, do it in private, be very careful who you buy off and maybe just stick to mushroom shakes that can be bought at some places. they are still illegal but are more tolerated by the police.
How on earth could you let yourself travel in a car in Asia with friends who were carrying 2 ounces of weed. ARE YOU INSANE!!!!

Even if it were my best friends I was travelling with I would have straight out refused to get in the car with them.

college_dropout said:
How on earth could you let yourself travel in a car in Asia with friends who were carrying 2 ounces of weed. ARE YOU INSANE!!!!

Even if it were my best friends I was travelling with I would have straight out refused to get in the car with them.

it was either that or hitch hiking (some of the places we went to were very remote). At the start of the trip, my gf and I took a bus from Bangkok to Koh Phagnan because we didn't want to be travelling with them. The stretch from Bangkok to the islands is heavily check pointed around the time of the full moon parties and new years due to all of the drugs that are transported to these huge parties. At this stage they were planning on bringing enough coke and pills for a weeks worth of partying for 5 people!8o . Thank god that fell through. ironically, not a single checkpoint was operational when they drove down, yet our bus went through over 6 operational checkpoints and the bus got searched twice! Go figure:\

The point I was making is that me and others were forced to do something that we were quite uncomfortable with due to the inability to travel in any other fashion. I could have travelled seperately, and caught buses everywhere but this wouldn't of been possible. I took a risk and luckily nothing bad happened, although my friend was not lucky.

A few of my mates spend two months in Thailand every year and are all stoners in one degree or another. Basicaly what they say is that if you want weed then buy some, smoke your joint and then LEAVE however much remains behind you.

It's cheap and plentiful, just don't carry the stuff.

Agreed with Pete Gasparino.

Many, many people do take drugs in South East Asia. They are cheap and readily available and you have access to drugs that aren't easy to get hold of in Aust. like shrooms, coke and opium that are only a fraction of the cost and plentiful.
If you are quite cautious the risks of getting caught are the same as they are here, and although the penalties are very severe by comparison, alot of the time the police can be paid a bribe (provided you can afford it) which is something that cannot be done in Aust.
That said, the police really do target you if you are a tourist and being stopped and searched is often done for no reason other than you being young and white. So being in posession of drugs whilst in public is very risky.
Drugs in South East Asia is a risk that many people do take, but it is definately not something that you should ever do as complacently as you do in Aust.

Note: I am not advocating the use of drugs whilst in SE Asia, I believe that it is better to just get pissed and have a hassle free holiday! But many people do indulge, and for the most part will be ok, but when caught shit really hits the fan.

Maybe have some spare money in the back pocket like $100 usd, so you can bribe the cops, thats there lunch for 6 months, as pathetic as it sounds, it still works these days. But got to add, why bother when in corrupt countries? have all the enjoyment when you get home??