Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Mercury - 20/11/2006 'Babies born on ice'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
I think this was in all the News Ltd papers yesterday.

Babies born on 'ice'
PHILIPPA DUNCAN
November 20, 2006 12:00am

NINETEEN babies born at the Royal Hobart Hospital had to be given morphine last year to withdraw from hard drugs including the deadly illicit amphetamine cocktail ice.

Traces of other drugs found in their blood included heroin, methadone, speed and valium.

Babies also showed signs of drug withdrawal.

RHH neonatology director Peter Dargaville said drug-addicted babies had a "shocking start to life", suffering irritability, sweatiness, fever and seizures.

"It is horrible to watch," he said.

"They have a piercing high-pitched screech."

It can take up to eight weeks to wean a baby from drugs and doses of morphine every four hours are needed to dull the painful symptoms.

Dr Dargaville said that "quite often" drug-addicted mothers had already lost a child to state care as a result of abuse or neglect.

"Then, she comes in and has another baby," he said.

The babies are poor feeders and are often underweight.

Dr Dargaville would like to introduce drug screening at the RHH to ensure parents are free of illicit drugs before they take their babies home.

The mother of a six-month-old baby girl who died last weekend in Hobart is suspected of taking drugs through and after the pregnancy.

The coroner is investigating the cause of the death, but early clinical advice suggests Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

The number of babies born at the RHH with drug withdrawals so severe they needed morphine and weeks in hospital has hovered around 19 annually for the past five years.

But in the past three years, the types of drugs involved have changed.

"The complexity has increased," RHH pediatrician Liz Hallam said.

"Ten years ago, it was only one drug, usually heroin.

"Now a mother may be using two or three drugs, not just one.

"We are seeing an increasing problem with amphetamines."

Dr Dargaville said nurses in the special care nursery had to carry the babies in front pouches because they demanded constant attention.

"They're inconsolable," he said.

Nurses had to deal with the families of the babies, who were often "very abusive".

"One can't say that a drug addiction does not mean you don't care for the child," he said.

"But, it tends to take preference in your life.

"I have seen parents who are prepared to compromise their baby to feed their habit."

Dr Dargaville has welcomed former children's commissioner David Fanning's recent recommendations to reform the failing child protection system.

The recommendations have been accepted and include new laws to allow doctors and nurses to notify the system about unborn children.

Dr Dargaville said hospitals currently had to wait until babies were born, leading to delays of days or weeks before their concerns were acted on.

He also supported the review of take-away methadone supplies for parents, prompted by the death of a baby boy in the South from a methadone overdose last year.

The RHH has also been promised a dedicated child protection worker based at the hospital to foster closer links between the two organisations.

The Mercury

Thats horrible:(
I recently saw an old friend of mine who told me she was 3 months pregnant, she was so happy about it & seemed as though she was really looking forward to being a mum.
She told me she's not smoking or drinking anymore, i was actually proud of her & thought its awesome she's getting her life on track.

Then i saw her again later that night & she was smoking ice?! It made me so angry i cant explain! i felt like ripping it out of her hand but its her selfish choice and unfortuantly her baby has to live with the consequences.

Last edited:
Thats a pretty sad article, but it does happen and only will become a worse problem. In "Naked Lunch" William Bourghs discribes how only one shot of junk can make you an addict for life, which is fairly true. I hope it's not the same if the shot is had pre-nately. Its pretty sad that someones prediosed to drugs even before their even born.

They should be drug-screened before getting pregnant. All drug users should be given long-term contraceptives. Then they can become drug-free first.
Jolanda Antkowicz, 40, Lenah Valley

above is not the right idea to go about things!!

Last edited:
^reminds me of that program in the US that offers money to crack using women if they get sterilised.

Neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS) is fairly common in babies born to mothers who use opioids. It's easy to manage and rarely life threatening. The standard protocol for opioid dependent pregnant women is to get them on methadone. Methadone in itself is a cause of NAS, but this is a minor issue compared with the benefits.

Babies born to mothers who use stimulants rarely experience NAS - however, they have a high likelihood of admission into neonatal intensive care.

It's common for the straight world to get on its high horse about women who use drugs while pregnant/parenting, but I expected a little better here (Or did I??). People who use drugs can be good parents. Remember also that the drug most associated with foetal abnormality is alcohol. Some groups (such as NOFASARD) advocate that even 1 alcoholic drink during pregancy can harm the foetus. Foetal alcohol syndrome is very serious, with far reaching consequences that easily outweigh the common effects of NAS.

It would be nice to see a bit more compassion and empathy on this forum for our fellow drug users who become parents. Stigmatising people rarely leads to good health outcomes

Why are they trying to make such a big deal out of ice? (including all other media articles on it)

Ice is so obviously bad & fucked up that I really dont think anybody I know thinks its cool, apart from the dodgy people who were already drug abusers beforehand.

Pregnancy and Opiods *my two cents*

What some of these articles fail to mention is that alot of women who use opiods and fall pregant actually seek help in trying to quit to "do the right thing for their unborn child." Unfortunatly for alot of these women, especially ones who are currently using methadone, stopping their substance use while carrying an unborn child can actually do more damage then continuing use.

It is actually necessary (for the health and well being of unborn babies) for mothers to be prescribed higher doses of methadone during their third trimester of pregnancy.

It's a sad reality that this happens however knowing that it is often unsafe for mothers to quit using opiods while pregant is more dangerous for the unborn child then to continue using, I believe it is unfair to judge them for the drug use while pregant (especially since drug use is renound for unsafe sexual practises which of course can lead to pregnancy) but more so on what course of action they decide to take regarding their drug use after their baby is born (ie if they decide to continue using while trying to care for that child).

/*my two cents*