• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) thread

TBritton

Bluelighter
Congrats Junglejuice...on your man Brandon Vera's victory over Frank Mir last night. He definatelty made a better showing the Monson in the heavyweight division last night. Ourheavyweight was an embarassment to both our school and Lloyd. But when you take a UFC fight on 1 month's notice and decide to train half assed...anywho, luckily Josh's fight wasn't televised.

Brandon vera will be the next heavywieht champ!

Last edited:
Hahaha!

Yeah man...he did a great job.

But it's not liike *I* actually fought Frank Mir ;)

There aren't any threads on this that I could find but I know that a few BL'ers here do MMA, muay thai and brazilian jiu jitsu. TB...My first gi was a Gameness =D

I wasn't able to see tonight's fights because I am in Spain.

Oh well.

:D

Well Brandon kicked @ss! And Jeff, well he almost got triange choked by Tim Silvia.

ill watch UFC casually with my friends, but its not something im really knowledgeable of. ive always wanted to get into martial arts but not for combat but rather just physical stamina and control, and other health reasons.

If you wanna stick with martial arts find a place that makes you pay for a full year up front. When you put down $1,600 or whatever it makes it really hard to miss a class when you realize it costs you like $80 every time you don't go.

Kul69 said:
If you wanna stick with martial arts find a place that makes you pay for a full year up front. When you put down $1,600 or whatever it makes it really hard to miss a class when you realize it costs you like $80 every time you don't go.

That's why schools prefer students to set up auto withdrawal each month for the one year contract...then set it up to auto renew unless the student cancels.

Wood: If you just want the excersise see if there is an LA kickboxing program close by. It's a cardio kickboxing class, but they actually use bags to hit and kick. A much better workout than Tai bo. But I have to say, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is VERY demanding. The first time I trained about 8 years ago I was ready to puke after the warmups.

who says we have a bluelighter cage-fight-nite?

im game

but... drugs or no drugs allowed?

Sylvia/Monson was a horrible display. Sylvia's fights should ALWAYS be a prelim and never a main event. Sylvia did attempt a triangle but it wasn't close. He's so huge and awkward you could have fit 2 more people inside the triangle.

Good job for Vera. Mir will never be the same as before the motorcycle wreck. I'd like to see Vera tested against real competition but sadly that will never happen in the UFC Heavyweight division. Andrei Arlovski still has hope as he severely injured his leg in his last fight with Sylvia, so I'm not marking him off yet.

The 170 is UFC's only competitive division and I don't think anyone will be beating GSP anytime soon.

How the hell is noone talking about Georges St. Pierre? He absolutely dominated Matt Hughes, and took the welterweight title with a 2nd round KO. Hughes, the most dominant welterweight in UFC history, didn't stand a chance. I've been telling people for a long time that St. Pierre was a force to be reckoned with, and he sure showed everyone that night. His only loss was a previous match vs. Hughes on a submission with :01 left in the first round. I don't think Hughes will stand a chance in their third go around. I'd love to see GSP transition over to Pride. He's one of the most well-rounded fighters I've seen in a while.

BreakzHabit said:
I don't think Hughes will stand a chance in their third go around. I'd love to see GSP transition over to Pride.

I would too but they don't really have a good weight class for him. Pride's 160 is too small for him and the 183lb. division is going to be too big although he would still be a very good contender against Misaki, Kang, Filho, Henderson, Gono and would probably win most of those matches. No one in the UFC is going to beat GSP for a long time.

GSP was immense to watch, the most impressive fighter ive seen in a while. I didn't understand Hughes tactics though, why stand up with a guy like that? Especially after he started getting battered, he should of been thinking, well this isnt working i'll take him to the ground and see if that works. He didn't look right at all to me but take nothing away from GSP

^ Mainly because St. Pierre wouldn't let him get close enough to attempt to take him down. His footwork is perfect, he's very elusive, and he's got so many weapons. Jabs, hooks, low and high kicks... Hughes attempted a couple of takedowns. First time at ~3:10, but St. Pierre defended it well. With ~:30 left in the round, Hughes again attempted to take him down, but again, GSP refused to go down. Again, early on in the 2nd round, a foiled takedown attempt..

Earlier in the first GSP caught one of Hughes' kicks and put him to the ground, mounted and passed, and delivered some good stikes including a knee to the face as Hughes stood up. Don't sleep on GSP's ground game. He's got a background in both wrestling and BJJ, and he's extremely stong and athletic.

GSP and Brandon Vera are the future of the UFC

And America is the future of Pride F/C

:D

junglejuice said:
America is the future of Pride F/C
Ehhh. Without kneeing/kicking downed opponents, headstomps, and piledrivers Pride just isn't the same... (I also firmly believe they should allow elbows in Pride - I think it's retarded that they don't.) Either way, Pride FC Japan is still the ultimate contest for MMA competitors.

BreakzHabit said:
How the hell is noone talking about Georges St. Pierre? He absolutely dominated Matt Hughes, and took the welterweight title with a 2nd round KO. .

Sorry, originally this thread was a shout out to Junglejuice since he is was of Lloyd Irvin's boys and so is Vera. Monson is a good friend and trained with our 6'4 heavyweight to prepare. Unfortunately as good as American Top Team trains, they don't have a good feel for things when cornering their fighters. Jeff should have jumped inside for a clinch to work takedowns, or faked a shot then jumped to Silvia's back. Or worked the body when in guard. Rant rant rant, I'm still pissed. Oh well, he got $250,000 to lose.

GSP showed why he wasn't impressed with the BJ Penn fight. And as much as I light Matt Serra, he's not going to get close enough to GSP to take him down. 170 is definately the most challenging division.

Tito's going to get knocked silly again.

update

Monson tore his peck sometime around the middle of the fight. From what I here it's pretty bad. That's why his corner was saying "you can make it one more round". He evidently was in a lot of pain.