Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: News.com.au - 27/10/2006 'Two men jailed over record fantasy sale'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Just thought some people might be interested in the details...

Two men jailed over record 'fantasy' sale
October 27, 2006 03:40pm

TWO men involved in Australia's largest ever sale of the drug fantasy have been sent to jail by an Adelaide court.

In the South Australian District Court today Adam Robert Lawrence was ordered to serve a minimum jail term of one year and four months, while Mario Trevor McDonagh was given a minimum term of 10 months.

They had both pleaded guilty to three counts of selling the drug 4-hydroxybutanoic acid, commonly known as fantasy.

Judge Gordon Barrett said the two men sold 100 litres of fantasy to an undercover policeman in three separate trades.

The trades occurred over a five week period in 2002 with the officer paying $58,000 for the drugs, later found to be 55 per cent pure.

Judge Barrett said Lawrence, 37, was not charged with manufacturing the fantasy, but was not just a street dealer, having been actively involved in transporting or purchasing a key precursor ingredient.

He said McDonagh, 35, played a lesser role, but he rejected defence submissions that both men should get lighter sentences because they were caught by an undercover police operation.

"It is put that the quantity involved in each transaction, particularly the large quantity of the last transaction, was only provided because that is what the undercover officer ordered,'' Judge Barrett said.

"While that is strictly correct you were able and willing to supply those quantities.''

Judge Barrett said the minimum jail terms for the two men would run from today.

News.com.au

It's interesting to see that people are still able to get their hands on real 'G' rather then 1-4 or GBL. Just from reading this, it acts as a reminder to always be careful when getting a new batch and to ensure that all the necessary precautions are taken when dosing. Just because your previous batch allowed you to take X ml charges doesn't mean the next batch will be the same, even if it is from the same supplier.

Sadly most dealers are not concerned about the wellbeing of their clients and will dilute batches to make more money. When there is an excess of product they will sometimes not dilute the product as much, which in turn will often lead to problems.

The dealer should be telling the buyers if it is stronger than usual.

Wouldn't it be a nice world if things like that happened, rather then dealers telling you things are strong when they are weak. In my opinion you should never trust what someone else tells you, you should test, then adjust accordingly.

This was 4 years ago though, things may have changed?

The pure stuff is a solid, afterall, not a liquid. zOMG they cut it with water!

Yeah I imagine when they say 55% pure they are probably talking about dilution with water. I can't imagine what else you'd "cut" GHB with heh.

Yeah, I would do it as solid weight. Otherwise you could dilute it further and claim it was 1000 litres. :-D

beamers said:
^ no, they'd be referring to the liquid being 55% GHB and the other 45% being water and the like. Water isn't really am impurity, it is facilitating drug absorption, it would be like call the HCl molecule on methamphetamine hydrochloride and impurity.

Otherwise it means they would have dehydrated the sample before testing, which mean they would be charged with a solid weight rather than the 100 litres stated.

nice post.

beamers said:
^ no, they'd be referring to the liquid being 55% GHB and the other 45% being water and the like. Water isn't really am impurity, it is facilitating drug absorption, it would be like call the HCl molecule on methamphetamine hydrochloride and impurity.

Otherwise it means they would have dehydrated the sample before testing, which mean they would be charged with a solid weight rather than the 100 litres stated.

erm no.

It is quite likely that they tested the GHB because of the quantity and not only to see what it was but to see how pure it was quite common if they get 100 litre's wouldn't you think, I know water is not an impurity no need to go on about methamphetamine and the HCl not being an impurity, that has nothing to do with this and I said nothing about that.

I would guess the reason why they used 100 litres instead of the exact weight of the GHB that was disolved in the solution would be because it would not sound as much!

Also 55% purity would be quite common if the GHB was converted from GBL by a home cook, which it from the article sounds like it was.

100 litres of GHB, how much would that be anyway, what would be the general concentration for G in Australia? Even at say something like 2ml per gram of GHB, 100 litres would only contain 50 kilos of GHB. So what sounds more when reporting, 100 litres or 50 Kilos, especially when people in general don't have a fucking clue about concentration etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
50 kilos sounds like a shitload to someone who doesn't know that it can be dissolved so easily.

i think your confused (maybe I am...)

the fact that it was butanioc acid (sp) seems to me that it was watered down GBL, to convert it to gammahydroxybuterate(GHB)., is reactied with a strong base. And that it is sold by the litre, suggests that it is watered down gbl Gammabutylacterone

it says in the article that the 'fantasy' is 4-hydroxybutanoic acid, otherwise known as freebase GHB.. which has a nasty habit of spontaniously reforming the original lactone, like all gamma and delta hydroxy carboxylic acids ;)

also GBL is an organic solvent, which doesn't dissolve all to well in H2O, works better in ether.. or ethanol for thoose who kicked the ether habit already.

this suggests to me that its more than likely going to be a dissolved GHB salt and they are just ignoring the associated cation.

without knowing the particular salt variety(they all weigh a little different), the concentration and pH of the 'fantasy solution' i wouldn't even bother trying to work out how much active ingredient is actually in the 100L

i don't encourage anyone to to use any drug on anyone but there informed selves (even then i'm not encouraging anyone, to do anything) this is purely a discussion on what the police/media is trying to say they have prevented from hitting the streets... while they want the public to think that a massive amount has been removed from the streets, recent investigations have shown that not all of what some police officers have seized has made it back to the station.

tho if you want to know.. all you needed was a calculator, a periodic table and a little knowledge of organics... any questions?

density of GBL 1.12 g/mL
FW GHB 104.104
FW Na.GHB 126.086
FW K.GHB 142.194
FW Mg.GHB 127.401
FW Ca.GHB 143.174

freebase refers to the standalone basic form of an alkaloid, as opposed to its water-soluble salt form. Most alkaloids are unstable and corrosive in their freebase form, and thus are usually stored in salt form, such as their HCl salt.

freebasing also refers to the process of freeing the active ingredients of a drug from its adulterants with which, in the slang term, it has been "cut".

thats the wikipedia definition.. in this case you have the salt ie Na.GHB, take away the Na and your left with 'free' GHB

Appeal lost on drug duo jail term
SEAN FEWSTER, COURT REPORTER
March 31, 2007 12:15am

THREE senior judges have ruled a minimum 30 months in jail is adequate punishment for one of the largest designer drug hauls in Australian history.

Supreme Court Justices Ann Vanstone, Tim Anderson and Trish Kelly yesterday refused to impose new sentences on Adam Robert Lawrence and Mario Trevor McDonagh.

They ruled there had been "no error" in the duo receiving sentences of more than seven years and four years, respectively.

Lawrence, 37, of Unley Park, and McDonagh, 35, of Fullarton, admitted selling 100 litres of the drug fantasy to undercover police officers on three occasions.

It was estimated the amount sold would have been enough for 20,000 doses of fantasy, with a street value of about $1 million.

Lawrence was also found with a receipt for 224kg of GBL, a precursor to the drug that could produce 428 litres of 50 per cent pure fantasy.

District Court Judge Gordon Barrett ordered Lawrence serve five years and seven months' jail, with a 2 ½ year non-parole period.

He jailed McDonagh for four years, with a 22-month non-parole period.

The Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions lodged an appeal, saying the sentences were manifestly inadequate.

In a unanimous decision yesterday, the Court of Criminal Appeal disagreed.

"No error of approach has been made out, nor is any matter of principle at stake," the court judgment said.

"We consider that the sentences imposed were within the range of sentences appropriate to the serious offences committed by the respondents."

AdelaideNow

Lawrence was also found with a receipt for 224kg of GBL, a precursor to the drug that could produce 428 litres of 50 per cent pure fantasy.

What was he keeping the receipt for? His tax return? 8(