• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Daily Telegraph - 25/10/2006 'Random car stops for drugs'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Random car stops for drugs
By Simon Benson, State Political Reporter
October 25, 2006 12:00

0,,5284148,00.jpg

POLICE will be given the power to randomly stop and search any vehicle for drugs using sniffer dogs. / The Daily Telegraph

POLICE will be given the power to randomly stop and search any vehicle for drugs using sniffer dogs.

The controversial crackdown will force drivers to be subjected to stop and seize blitzes by police across the state.

The Daily Telegraph has been told the trial will be announced today following a report which the Government has been sitting on for more than two years.

The police have claimed that until now they have been restricted in their ability to control drugs coming across the border.

It requires a warrant to be issued by a court to set up a drug-sniffing operation on the roads, and police were limited to a specific location.

Under the trial expected to be announced today by Police Minister Carl Scully, they will now be able to conduct snap raids without warrants.

The trial will be announced today ahead of an Ombudsman's report due to be released which is expected to be critical of the lack of action by the Government on its previous report from 2003.

The report of the Ombudsman's review of the legislation in 2003 has not been released by the Government and is still being sat on.

Police intelligence has identified road transport as being the major supply routes for drugs coming into NSW.

A trial covering the state's borders has been underway for some time. But now it will be extended to cover all roads outside Sydney, Wollongong and Newcastle.

Mr Scully claimed the screening of cars would take about one minute.

Drivers will be required to stop and park with the driver's side window wound down while a drug sniffing dog passes around the vehicle.

"NSW Police will be able to stop and screen any vehicle on any rural main road across the state," said Mr Scully.

Daily Telegraph

Maybe the war on drugs will be over once the sniffer dogs catch a gram of marijuana or ecstasy.

NSW laws suck! I'm glad I live in the ACT, unfortunately I get their shitty laws thrust upon me on a regular basis when visiting. They have really taken the whole sniffer dog thing wayyy too far in my opinion, especially considering the ombudsmen's report issued not too long ago.

Government logic in action:
Our own reports say targeting individuals in the street doesn't stop dealing, hmm..
*thinking... thinking*
Eureka! We'll keep the dogs on the streets to harass everyone, and we'll enact policy to target individual motorists, report says nothing bout that.. why didn't we think of that sooner :D It was obviously what the NSW Ombandsman report ment when it said targeting public spaces with dogs dosn't work! Problem solved :D

Everyone else:

Fuck off and stop invading my personal space! :X

They cant possibly check EVERY single car that goes into NSW.
For some reason, i dont see this lasting long

Portillo said:
Maybe the war on drugs will be over once the sniffer dogs catch a gram of marijuana or ecstasy.
lol

trancegirle said:
They cant possibly check EVERY single car that goes into NSW.
For some reason, i dont see this lasting long

lol

You would assume it will be the same type of setup we see with the RBTs and also the drug buses. They will set up on the side of the road and pull random vehicles out of the traffic. I imagine at times it won't be so random but will be set up to appear that way, if you know what I mean.

^ yeah thats what i imagined it to be like.
The chances of that random car that they pull to the side of the road being full of drugs i think is unlikely. It all just seems a bit like pot luck to me

I'll bring your attention to the articles detailed below. The way they have been reported, you would be safe to assume that the police were fairly random in their approach and these were in fact lucky finds. Do I for one second believe the police were just lucky, NO.

$150,000 worth of cannabis found in car
Routine check nets $2m drug haul
$4m heroin uncovered in booze bus stop
$3.5m heroin haul found inside car

It is my belief that these measures have been introduced to make it easier for police to conduct snap searches when information is made available to them. This in turn, will ensure convictions that would have been placed at risk in the past by the illegal search defence, are successful.

Just my 2c :)

lil angel15 said:
It is my belief that these measures have been introduced to make it easier for police to conduct snap searches when information is made available to them. This in turn, will ensure convictions that would have been placed at risk in the past by the illegal search defence, are successful.

Just my 2c :)
you're spot on there!

Victorian and NSW Police have been aware of drug movements via highway between the two states for some time now. In the last twelve months there have been quite a few operations targetting major roads between the two states and as you can see, they've had some pretty big results.

Police intelligence has identified road transport as being the major supply routes for drugs coming into NSW.

A trial covering the state's borders has been underway for some time. But now it will be extended to cover all roads outside Sydney, Wollongong and Newcastle.

Mr Scully claimed the screening of cars would take about one minute.

Note that it says this is to be applied in roads outside Sydney.

Also, if anyone noticed, NSW Police Minister Carl Scully was sacked today... lol :)