• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzo Withdrawal......

CrazyDiamond0107

Bluelighter
Jesus this is bad

I am writing as my withdrawals from Ativan are getting the best of me. No amount of advil can cure this headache. I took 3/4 my average dose and I'm still in huge amounts of pain. What the hell can I do to ease the pain? this hurts so much, I don't know how much longer I can fight off these urges.

TO ANY OF YOU WHO ARE FOOLING AROUND WITH BENZOS, STOP BEFORE YOU GET ADDICTED. ITS NOT WORTH IT!

ok man, i have MUCHO experience with this. my aim is the same as me handle here: wesmdow, if you wanna talk more personally about it.

my first few questions:

1) how severe is your habit? whats your daily dose?

2) how often were you taking them?

3) how long have you been on ativan?

4) do you have any left? if so, how much?

5) IF you have some left, do you have anyone you can confide in? you CANNOT overcome this alone.

if you have someone who is sympathetic to your cause (in my case this was my dad), give them your ENTIRE stash NOW. explain to them that you are addicted and need to taper down. WRITE DOWN a tapering schedule (i can help with that if you need), give it to them, and tell them NOT TO GIVE YOU ANY MORE THAN YOU AGREED, NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU BEG.

benadryl helps slightly. drinking a beer or 2 is very nice also. dont go overboard, tho. you dont wanna get drunk... it might lead to a relapse.

another thing that really helped me was being in the company of loved ones. watch movies and TV. laughing is the BEST medicine.

as hard as it sounds, TRY YOUR BEST NOT TO THINK ABOUT ATIVAN. every time the thought creeps into your head, concsiously change your train of thought. i chose to think about sex.... which brings me to my next point.

if youve got someone, sex is a great form of relief. if you dont, then MASTURBATE. this cures the w/d symptoms for at least 5-10 minutes, which is better than nothing eh?

if you wanna talk to me more about this (ive w/d'd from benzos twice), feel free to PM me or hit me up on aim... im gonna be cleaning my room today so im here all day..

good luck :)

Stop taking 'Advil'.

Consider opiates and alcohol for pain and muscle cramp management. This is what always worked for me; a pint of good lager in a nice pub, after some codeine, morphine, opium. Whatever.

Don't take any stimulants.

Have plenty of hot baths.

Try and enjoy the patterns you see as you lie awake in bed, sweating, looking straight up and wide eyed at the patterns and shadows flashing across the ceiling.

You've got to button your lip and ride it out.

It's what men do, because we're stubborn bastards who refuse any and all help.

It's because we have balls. And you're going to do this.

It's not getting the better of you; believe me, I've gone through this many times and it's quite reaffirming: "Why did I start these drugs in the first place? Oh, because reality is like this."

It will appear as though time will have slowed down and days will feel like weeks. Weeks will feel like months, and well, months will feel like years.

You'll get no sleep because you can't.

You won't eat because food is disgusting.

You'll have constant vomiting and diarrhea because your body wants to get whatever is making you feel like this out of you; it's natural, as far as I know. Your brain's confused.

Your brain is also lacking a chemical that it has come to rely on; a very dangerous chemical.

Just brace yourself and hang onto the ride.

Don't break. Don't talk to anyone. Turn off anything that will make any loud noises. Avoid people. Avoid light. Keep in warmth. Do not move. If you move an appendage after it has been in place for some time then it will have cramped up. Leave the NSAIDs because your headaches and muscle pain aren't caused by the things NSAIDs are meant for, and by that I mean no 'Tylenol', no 'Advil', no 'Aspirin', no 'Ibuprofen', get the picture?

Soon, perhaps, if you're not experiencing it now, you'll experience a rapid increase in sensory perception; light will burn at your eyes, you'll be able to smell, hear and taste everything in the air. Your sense of touch will be great.

You may come to hate your own body. Avoid mirrors. You'll look distorted and surreal.

Just try not to move, and experiment with binaural audio: I've always wanted to know about that. Cheers. Enjoy your withdrawal and the living hell that proves you are human, and also a man.

Take care.
%)

Damn Kerrigan... I don't know what to say.

Being a Junior in High School its going to prove to be quite tough to avoid bright lights... loud noises... people... moving...

ahh man it just hurts so much. I'm going to start tapering, cold turkey doesn't even seem like a possible option for me.

It is never good to go cold turkey off benzos....especially if you have a decent habit. Death is a possibility. But it seems that you don't have that big of a habit, thank god.

ull get through it man

How old do you have to be to be in 'Junior High', 'cause you probably shouldn't be taking benzodiazepines that young; it's what I did and now I've ended up with my brain at the age that I started, even years after.

Taper. Tapering will still hurt, but things will eventually get better. You can't lose your focus on things getting better eventually. Of course it'll take time, but if you want to do this then you'll have to suffer in some way. That's simply how it is with physically addictive drugs...

They hurt when you pull them off your back, 'cause they like to dig their claws into your back. Deep. And in all honestly, I love that in a woman.

^He said junior in high school, so that would be 17 years old in the US.

'Junior high' is usually around 12-14, but he is a junior in high school which is usually around 16-17.

Edit: Stella beat me to the punch.

You can overcome benzodiazepine addiction alone. You are an island, and you can do it if you make sure to schedule and organize your tapering and refuse to give in to your desires for short-term rewards and long-term pains.

The reason I bring that up, is of course the want to just eat the rest of the pills and temporarily relieve the pain, perhaps get some rest or enjoy a meal.

i talked to him on aim. hes 16.

diamond~

kerrigan's first post is dead-on. the level you are on will not kill you and shouldnt require rehab.

you will go through HELL.

one of my favorite aspects of benzodiazapines is their time-acceleration factor. ESPECIALLY at first after quitting, minutes seem like HOURS, etc.... this makes the 2 weeks of hell EVEN MORE fun.

do not give up. i am quitting benzos too, for good. please feel free to hit me up on aim whenever. i will probably need support too at some point, and not too many people understand the ins and outs of benzo addiction....

Kerrigan said:
Stop taking 'Advil'.

Consider opiates and alcohol for pain and muscle cramp management. This is what always worked for me; a pint of good lager in a nice pub, after some codeine, morphine, opium. Whatever.

Don't take any stimulants.

Have plenty of hot baths.

Try and enjoy the patterns you see as you lie awake in bed, sweating, looking straight up and wide eyed at the patterns and shadows flashing across the ceiling.

You've got to button your lip and ride it out.

It's what men do, because we're stubborn bastards who refuse any and all help.

It's because we have balls. And you're going to do this.

It's not getting the better of you; believe me, I've gone through this many times and it's quite reaffirming: "Why did I start these drugs in the first place? Oh, because reality is like this."

It will appear as though time will have slowed down and days will feel like weeks. Weeks will feel like months, and well, months will feel like years.

You'll get no sleep because you can't.

You won't eat because food is disgusting.

You'll have constant vomiting and diarrhea because your body wants to get whatever is making you feel like this out of you; it's natural, as far as I know. Your brain's confused.

Your brain is also lacking a chemical that it has come to rely on; a very dangerous chemical.

Just brace yourself and hang onto the ride.

Don't break. Don't talk to anyone. Turn off anything that will make any loud noises. Avoid people. Avoid light. Keep in warmth. Do not move. If you move an appendage after it has been in place for some time then it will have cramped up. Leave the NSAIDs because your headaches and muscle pain aren't caused by the things NSAIDs are meant for, and by that I mean no 'Tylenol', no 'Advil', no 'Aspirin', no 'Ibuprofen', get the picture?

Soon, perhaps, if you're not experiencing it now, you'll experience a rapid increase in sensory perception; light will burn at your eyes, you'll be able to smell, hear and taste everything in the air. Your sense of touch will be great.

You may come to hate your own body. Avoid mirrors. You'll look distorted and surreal.

Just try not to move, and experiment with binaural audio: I've always wanted to know about that. Cheers. Enjoy your withdrawal and the living hell that proves you are human, and also a man.

Take care.
%)

pretty much

wow..i'm speechless...

benzo withdrawal is HELL and I can't believe they prescribe this to people. i've met so many people who take xanax and klonopin (the devil's own very brand) for years not knowing what lies ahead when they try to stop. hell, if u've taken klon's 2mgs for 4 months everyday, your still in HELL.

and to CrazyDiamond0107, sounds like your withdrawal is going good. i'd taper with valium. don't do cold turkey no matter what or you may, and I hate to sound all negative, your symptoms can last for years, depending on how long u took em, but it can be 'almost' painless with a good taper.

taper on valium. it's the ONLY way. but then again, your withdrawal sounds really mild.

Kerrigan pretty much broke it down so there ain't much else to say. i don't wanna scare you, but just wait till the sensory perception hits, and if your 2 weeks cold turkey and you havne't had this or hallucinating at this point, yes it is mild.

if your not experiencing a garbage truck down the block sounding like Optimus Prime transforming in your ear drum, u've got it pretty darn good.

Hold on. I went through klonopin withdraws cold turkey. It wasn't the smartest thing I have done, but I feel it's been the right thing, just know it gets easier with time.

i talked to him on aim, and i think its important not to scare him too much in this situation.

his addiction is not THAT serious. while i think he should taper, and withdrawals will be difficult, he is so young & his habit (2mg ativan/day for 16 weeks) while not trivial isnt SEVERE.

he CAN overcome this, and i tend to agree with kerrigan here. this will be a learning experience. it sure taught me a LOT.

think of it as a coming of age type thing. a trial.

Solksjaer said:
Hold on. I went through klonopin withdraws cold turkey. It wasn't the smartest thing I have done, but I feel it's been the right thing, just know it gets easier with time.
how severe was your habit?

a cold-turkey withdrawal from a long-term benzo like klonopin is especially dangerous...

This is the closest tapering schedule on benzo.org.uk to 2mg/day ativan. It could be good as a guide....but you might find you can taper a bit faster given you've only been on them 4 months.....good luck

I've been on ativan for 4 months, but benzos for 2 years. And yeah, the headaches get so bad that I can no longer listen to music. thanks for the responses ya'll, i'll update you guys on how im doing as the weeks pass.

dude or dudedette, and/or dude or dudette (i'm being really PC here).

benzos are the worst drug EVER created. EVER! nothing will EVER compare. EVER! EVER! EVER!

something you should give yourself a pat on the back on is only doing this for 4 months, which ain't bad and you can do a nice little taper for 2 months and it would most likely be totally painless.

your pretty much FUCKED if you've been on them for like 5 years.

new era, are you not considering other physically addictive drugs such as barbiturates, alcohol, cocaine, tobacco and chloral when considering what the supposed "worst" drugs are?

Barbiturates have a very small margin of safety between their effective dose and their lethal dose. Chloral withdrawals killed people. Alcohol can cause a similar, if not worse, withdrawal situation just as barbiturates can. Oh, and I think a lot of people with holes in their own throats know about the problems associated with tobacco.

Benzodiazepines may appear benign and that is how people get into situations such as this.

Coming off should be alright as long as you taper, original poster. Please continue to taper and reduce only when you feel that you can.