Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Plan to combat ice drug scourge

dls

Bluelighter
The Age - Plan to combat ice drug scourge said:
October 19, 2006 - 5:02PM

NSW Premier Morris Iemma has asked Prime Minister John Howard to help draw up an urgent national action plan to tackle the growing scourge of the drug ice.

Mr Iemma today said he had written to Mr Howard and all state and territory leaders to hold a national forum on "this ice plague" before the end of the year.

He said the leaders could use the forum to draw up an action plan to work out ways to rehabilitate ice addicts and reduce crime and family breakdowns associated with the drug.

"While there are no easy answers, we are determined that law enforcement and health officials will work together as will state, territory and federal jurisdictions," Mr Iemma told parliament.

"It is appropriate that we take strong action to minimise the damage caused by the use of this drug and its supply.

"It is a dirty, filthy, pervasive chemical cocktail and Australia needs more prevention, more enforcement and more treatment options.

"We want to know our kids are protected from this drug, that young people who fall prey to its evil effects can be rescued in time and that the vermin who pedal this menace on our streets are crushed with the full and overwhelming force of the law."

Mr Iemma said he hoped the national leadership forum on ice could be held before the Ministerial Drugs Strategy meeting in Sydney in December.

He said the forum should examine how ice is imported to Australia, transported across the country, the equipment involved in manufacturing the drug and how foreign police tackle the problem in other countries.

The forum would also consider the best ways to prevent the illegal manufacture of ice, increasing penalties for ice dealers and users, and the broader health and social implications linked to the drug.

The highly addictive drug is known to cause violent psychotic episodes among some users, putting themselves, police and healthcare workers at risk.

Mr Iemma told parliament a recent survey of 3,000 emergency department records in NSW hospitals showed 56 per cent of ice users were addicted to the drug and 45 per cent had committed a crime in the past month.

Ice users were also 11 times more likely to suffer a psychotic episode.

The premier also outlined the case of an unnamed ice addict's troubling addition to the drug.

He told of how within three months of inheriting a six-figure sum, "J" had blown it all on his $3,500-a-day ice habit and lost his job, family and friends in the process.

"J" also had developed serious health problems and suffered from chronic depression.

"This drug and its growing prevalence in Australia puts a user on a direct pathway to crime and violence, social disfunction and serious health problems," Mr Iemma said.

His call for a national action plan on ice comes after a new report released today showed the drug can cause violent behaviour in users, but is not behind a dramatic rise in assaults in NSW.

The report was compiled in response to speculation among police and frontline health professionals that the increasing popularity of ice had resulted in a corresponding increase in violent behaviour.

The report, by the NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research (BOSCAR) and the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre (NDARC), says the number of people arrested in NSW for methamphetamine offences rose by 253 per cent between 1995 and 2005.

Over the same 10-year period, the general assault rate in the state jumped from 522 assaults per 100,000 people, to 942 per 100,000.
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=45

All I have to say about that is $3,500 a day? That is ridiculous on so many levels...

dls said:
All I have to say about that is $3,500 a day? That is ridiculous on so many levels...

Now that is what I would call heroic.

But seriously, I would like to know exactly how they came to that sum.

he highly addictive drug is known to cause violent psychotic episodes among some users, putting themselves, police and healthcare workers at risk.
Ever seen a drunk person doing this? Funny the papers are never fixed on the "dangerous drunks" reports.. I think if they'd look closely they'd find their are by far more reports on drunk bashings than ice ones... maybe a ratio of 20:1 :|
45 per cent had committed a crime in the past month.
HAHAHAHA, fuck haven't we all. Love the way my "tax dollars" are being spent on conducting such insightful research! 8)
Over the same 10-year period, the general assault rate in the state jumped from 522 assaults per 100,000 people, to 942 per 100,000.
These hack journo's don't learn do they. The greater majority of experts have already said that this is not linked to ice.. see age article "In fear of Ice age"

Maybe people are becoming more violent because they're sick of living under the constant theat of "terror", Interest rates are scary, petrol costs more, or our society is every day moving closer to that of the U.S - wouldn't these links be more plausible than a few more thousand people getting into Ice? Or maybe its just cause after 8yrs of Howard people just want to bash anything they can!! :X I really hope intelligent ppl out there can see you can link anything with anything!

Did you know during the period 1990-8 youth suicides increased by the exact same proportion that young people started eating more carrots!!8o It's the absolute truth! Everyone lets write a letter to Howard telling him how carrots are killing our young people! This maddness has got to stop, carrots are everywhere!! 8o

For $3500 you would be well on your way to buying an ounce of ice. I wonder how long this habbit lasted. A whole 2 days until he was broke?

He was probably getting totally owned because he bragged about how much money he had to dealers.

45 per cent had committed a crime in the past month.

100% acutally. Last I checked, buying, smoking or posessing crystal meth was a crime... =D =D

Jimity said:
100% acutally. Last I checked, buying, smoking or posessing crystal meth was a crime... =D =D
Damnit that's exactly what I was gonna say when I read this article. Way to go stealing my mildly amusing comment :p