serato scratch vs Traktor scratch

@lterEgo

Bluelight Crew
with all the downtempo i've been playing and enjoying lately, i've really started to consider some kind of mp3 mixing program. it'a honestly such a pain in the ass trying to purchase and lug around everything you might draw upon for a downtempo set, and so much of that stuff is out of print, or you have to buy the entire album (no singles), blah blah blah... i'll try not to let this degenerate into my own personal woes.

still too stubborn to give up the feel of manipulating vinyl, i'm now very seriously considering picking up serato scratch or final scratch. it's time for me to make the transition towards digital DJing or at least some hybrid thereof. i'm one of those people who likes to wait for new technologies to work out their kinks too, and i think these formats have been around for long enough and seemed to have resolved the latency/unpredictability issues enough for me to trust them now.

i'm not sure which setup i want to purchase, rane or stanton. i've done some general reading, but i'd like to hear experiences from people who actually own or have ever played on one or both of these. pros and cons? similarities and differences? is it worth the investment?

damn, that was a lot of backstory just to ask this simple question:

what should i buy?

1. serato scratch live
2. stanton final scratch
3. some other digital audio file mixing system
4. none of that shit.

I personally use Final Scratch 2 and love it. I also had a really hard time giving up on vinyl, but trust me, you'll love it. The additional features that you get, such as key lock, a detailed wave display and time markers will significantly improve your mixing and you can't beat the price difference between digital and vinyl.

As for the differences between the two, Serato was still very new when I bought FS, so I bought FS just because it was the dominant product at the time. A friend of mine back in Florida just went through both and ended up chosing M-Audio's Torque in the end. He did a huge amount of research on the advantages and disadvantages of each, which I didn't get all of from him, but this was basically what I got out of it.

Final Scratch- The timecodes on FS's vinyl are spaced further apart than Serato making for a cleaner sound because the program updates the track position and speed less often. FS is also integratable with Traktor which adds features such as looping. FS has the most features, which is also the negative side because it's the least stable. Personally, I use it on a Sony Vaio 2.8ghz with 512 meg of RAM and have never had a problem as long as I rebooted before I began playing.

Serato- Initially geared towards scratch/battle dj's, Serato's timecodes are closer together to make the vinyl more responsive at a slight sacrifice to sound quality. Honestly, I can't tell the difference. Serato is also more of a bare-bones system and is very stable. My friend was originally using Serato on a Macbook Pro (the intel based Mac laptop) and considering that he said he never had a problem (and he has residencies that cover 4 nights a week) it is by far the most stable.

M-Audio Torque- This is the newest, and the cheapest out there at $250. This is what my friend ended up using and he likes it alot. I'm not sure of alot of the specifics on it, but apparently it's built to be compatible with most other digital dj software such as Ableton, giving you the greatest amount of flexibility. And, based on M-Audio's reputation (I have and M-Audio keyboard and soundcard, both of which I love) I'm sure that it's very reliable.

Whatever you end up going with, you won't regret the transition. It takes a little getting used to, looking at a wave display instead of the lines on your vinyl, but it's much more accurate, and you just can't beat the ability to show up at a gig with your entire hard drive of music. I use mine for both electronic shows and mobile dj'ing, and with a 160gig hard drive (I have about 30,000 tracks), I almost never get a request for something I don't have.

I've always wanted to get my hands on Serato but with the lack of a laptop kinda makes it pointless. I use to have a laptop but it got stolen. I've seen a lot of DJ's use this program. You can do some really cool stuff with it.

I've used Final Scratch here and there. Definitely something I'd like to add to my setup down the road.

thats my two pennies

Rabbi said:
FS is also integratable with Traktor which adds features such as looping.

first of all, awesome post and great information. thanks so much for the helpful reply. your quote above touches on one piece of my research that has been complicating the decision for me. how much have you actually found yourself using Traktor? it seems like such a cool program/feature to bundle in with FS, and i'm otherwise leaning towards Serato. i realize Traktor could also be purchased separately, but that seems less than ideal. a lot of people i've talked to have recommended Serato over Final Scratch and i think it has to do mostly with the stability issues you mentioned. the last thing i need is to ruin a set because of my computer crashing... there are enough technical difficulties to worry about as it is when you're performing live.

the m-audio program you described (torque) is totally news to me. it would be awesome to have something that integrates fluidly with ableton live (i have live 5, though i have barely learned how to leverage it properly) so that i can have more musical freedom in the future. i have an m-audio keyboard/midi controller as well, so i can see the value in having more compatibility across products. first version products make me nervous though (can you see a pattern here? i'm paranoid about performing with new technology) and the cheaper price tag, which people should probably be stoked about, also makes me question it. still, it's good to know what my options are.

i figure i will be making a decision and purchasing one of these programs in november, so please keep the opinions/rumors/suggestions/testimonials coming. i will be checking this thread often, and i'll let you know what i eventually decide on and how it's working out for me.

I'm actually in Florida this week, and will be having lunch in a day or two with my friend who did all the research. I'll let ya know what he says. :)

i found a pretty kickass page that basically does a side-by-side comparison of serato, fs2, and the numark cdx. it's got the biases of scratch DJs, metal band DJs, and producers, so keep that in mind when reading the reviews. there seems to be a lot of good information though... check it out:

http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/showdown/showdown_xman.htm

for the record, i am still leaning towards serato. i need a program i can depend on for playing out.

well final scratch was discontinued, replaced by traktor 3.2 so its your call

Final Scratch is being replaced in January, but the new Traktor equipment will be compatible with the old ScratchAmp. Also, @lterEgo, I hung out with my friend last night at a gig he played and had a long talk about the different systems. I don't have regular internet access right now since I'm in Florida visiting (I'm online at Starbucks) but I'll give ya the rundown when I get the chance. :)

After talking with my friend this weekend, and playing on each of the systems this is what I came up with.

Final Scratch: This is the system I use. FS has the most features of all of the systems, and can also be run in Traktor for additional features such as looping. There is also an included MIDI interface and FS can be synchronized with MIDI devices, though I don't use these features, so I'm not too sure exactly how they work. I haven't experienced any of the supposed stability issues, but this is the most common complaint about the system. As far as I can tell, as long as you're running FS on a good laptop, you shouldn't have any problems. Stanton has announced that the FS system will be replaced in January, though it hasn't released any details other than that it will be compatible with the old ScratchAmp.

Serato: Currently the most popular system, but this is mostly due to the reputation on FS as being unstable. Serato is more of a barebones system, and is therefore more stable. It is also more favored by scratch dj's because of a slightly faster response. However, if you aren't a scratch dj, you'll never notice the difference.

M-Audio Torq: This is the low-cost option selling for only $250. I played around with this system this weekend, and didn't really have many serious complaints. The system was pretty stable, and the interface with the program was easy to use. Torq is reputed to be the most compatible with outboard programs such as Ableton, but I'm sure this will change as soon as the new Stanton system comes out. If money is an issue, Torq is the best option.

thanks again for the helpful information. i made a decision last week and am happy to report the results in this thread.

a week ago, on monday, i decided to purchase serato scratch live. stability was the most important selling point for me, and a lot of people that i talked to and reviews i read gave props to serato as the more stable system. there are enough things to worry about behind the decks; i wasn't interested in adding software-related technical difficulties to my list.

i challenged myself to learn the program in time for a gig i had on saturday. i work a lot so i didn't have many hours to familiarize myself with serato, but one of the things that i found so awesome about it was that it was super easy to learn. for anyone who is considering buying this, keep in mind that the ramp-up time for learning is really quick. here is a forum that i found immeasurably valuable as i was setting up the system and learning the basics: http://www.scratchlive.net/forum/ - seriously one of the best and most helpful boards i have visited in a long time. straight answers, no bullshit, and great tips. check it out.

if you are comfortable already on turntables and/or CD-Js, you will find that serato scratch is a breeze to learn. the feel and response of the encoded vinyl feels VERY authentic. switching from the serato vinyl to standard vinyl records is a snap. i was most nervous about setting up as the previous DJ was still playing (you have to set up one side at a time since it requires the RCAs being unplugged out of the mixer and re-plugged into the serato amp inputs) but it wasn't difficult at all. one of the nice things about a simple "bare bones" system is that it's nearly impossible to set up incorrectly if you pay attention. if you play in places like i do - namely crowded, dark, and loud - it is critical that setup be as straightforward and speedy as possible.

i only had about 12 hours total to learn this program before playing out at a warehouse party on saturday, and i am pleased to report that everything went off without a hiccup. not only were there no technical difficulties whatsoever, i was also able to play a lot of music that i normally don't have easy access to as a vinyl-only DJ. it was fucking stellar. this is a great toy, and easily the best $500 i've spent in a long time. i plan on getting a lot of use out of it, and i know i have only scratched the surface as far as leveraging the features of this program.

I have had final scratch v1.1 for a few years a few months ago finally managed to get the software download to make it to v1.5 and it actually worked but to be honest I don't think it is as good as I have heard serato is, also I have lost the power cable through moving which means I cant switch to normal vinyl as easy, I spent 450 on it a few years ago just before the price dropped massively annoyingly enough and its now worth practically nothing so I am going to give it away to a friend for better use and save up for serato.

I don't like cdj's have just sold mine as I never used them so I find these programs a good line between new and old, however I still seem fixated on records I have actually bought but I am sure in time when I can be bothered to order my mp3s and download stuff I already have or record it to the pc, it will make travelling so much easier with a lap top and one of those back packs which can fit in 30 records and a lap top and serato etc etc perfect! Making it much easier for you to play without having to carry around a big bag or box of records and have access to a lot more music

:) But i'd definitely go with serato over final scratch, am glad you had good experiences with it, I can't wait until I can afford it.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! Welcome to the digital dj world. :D

dr seuss said:
out of interest - can you load VST effects in SSL?

i do not believe that serato scratch live currently offers support for VST plug-ins. one of the draws of this particular program is that it is very straightforward, and as a result, incredibly stable. it is my understanding that the new m-audio torq allows the adding of VST effects, but it has other problems (hardware, poor documentation) according to what i've read.

Has anybody used Traktor 3 to control Final Scratch? I tried to switch to it today from Traktor FS2, and it displays an input in the FS controls, but the tracks aren't responding to the FS vinyl. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I just picked up Serato today. I'm psyched to get it all set up and dive into it. I'm spinning at a party I'm throwing w/ my new crew on Friday night and I'm going to try to learn how to use Serato well enough to incorporate it into my set.

As a tech journalist, I hope you take my advice to heart and go with what I'm about to tell you. It's a cheap solution and is worth every penny.

M-Audio makes a package called Torq Mixlab Digital DJ System. It retails for $130 MSRP in the US and consists of the Torq LE mixing software and the X Session Pro DJ Mixer. It uses MP3s and can be hooked up to Pioneer CD-DJs or other equipment. Very easy to use, but also very powerful.

Between the automatic beat-matching figures, cueing features, and excellent interface, you can't go wrong with this thing. It hooks up via USB and allows complete DJ control over your MP3 collection. I used to DJ with Technics 1200s and a Rane mixer blah blah blah back in the day and after using this for a week, I will never go back to vinyl, CD or anything. All you need is a laptop and this package and you're good to DJ anywhere in the world.

I suggest picking it up at a store with a good return policy. Try it out for 2 weeks and I guarentee you will fall in love with it. Hands down. My review is here if you want to read it:

http://crunchgear.com/2007/02/22/m-audio-torq-mixlab-digital-dj-system-review/

Trust me on this one. Hope this helps.

I was going to buy serato about a year ago. I loved mixing with it at my mates house. But I borrowed his set up for 2 or 3 gigs and decided that is was not worth it. great system but taking your laptop and break-out box to gigs and having to dismantle consoles to plug shit in thus disturbing the DJ that is playing before you is a hella pain in the arse.

Plus it causes problems at clubs where the booth has concealed wiring and stuff. I also used it on a boat gig and there was a MASSIVE horrble earthing problem when trying to use the "thru" port.

Just play CDs it's much easier.