• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: News.com.au - 13/10/2006 'Pot 'as dangerous' as alcohol' (Drug driving)

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Pot 'as dangerous' as alcohol
October 13, 2006 02:21pm

WHILE cannabis manifests differently to alcohol, it can be equally as dangerous when used before driving, the author of a new study said today.

The three-year study conducted by Swinburne University of Technology with Victoria Police tested 80 Victorians aged between 21 and 35 who were either regular or irregular users of cannabis.

Study leader Dr Katherine Papafotiou, from the university's Brain Sciences Institute, said the study found participants who smoked cannabis were more likely to lane-weave and stop too close to vehicles in front of them.

She said while people tended to be aware of the effects of alcohol on driving, there was not the same understanding of the effects of cannabis smoking on driving.

"The general public need to appreciate that these drugs are different to alcohol and don't impair you like alcohol but can still effect you on the road," Dr Papafotiou said.

"We need to continue to treat each drug as a different substance. We need to look at them separately, at how they affect behaviours."

The study also found that driver errors occurred more frequently when the driver was under the influence of cannabis and alcohol.

Dr Papafotiou said the Institute had just received an Australian Research Council grant to look at the effects of methamphetamine and ecstasy use on driving.

News.com.au

Drug Driving? Dangerous?8( 8( 8( 8( 8(

No really, i have noticed that stoned drivers tend to think they are driving alot better than they are but don't drunk drivers as well?

I'd say alcohol is more dangerous. That said I still hate it when people drive while stoned but I'm no angel so I can't really tell anyone off about it.

I'm interested in how they conduct the tests. Do they just say to the subjects "smoke a bit of weed before you come in today, then we'll test your driving skills"?

I'd say alcohol is more dangerous.

Depends entirely on the person and the way the drug affects them. While cannabis use may result in most people failing a driver alert/ safety test, some users are arguably safer behind the wheel after a puff or 2. However, as this would be impossible to distinguish and the risk of erratic behavior or distraction is potentially higher, an across the board rule is required.

It would certainly be interesting though, to see the results of a study that looked at chronic users of marijuana and whether their driving was improved at all by cannabis. Mind you, any positive results could never be made public. It would after all be seen to send the wrong message... 8)

I once knew a guy who was a chronic 20 joints/day man. He usually drove under the speed limit, was patient, courteous, and always stuck well behind cars in front. Due to a shortage of weed he decided to give up. Some weeks down the line I had the displeasure of traveling with him. He was erratic, impatient and abusive. Some poor senior citizen passed him and slowed down in front of his car. He started screaming and cut the poor old man off before stopping and threatening him with violence. Needless to say that was the only time I got in his car when he was straight. After a previous flawless driving history, a month or so into giving up and he'd had 2 accidents.

I also knew a rally driver in NZ who smoked before driving off road. He'd never had a nasty accident - in fact he had the best driving record in the club - for accidents that is; he never actually won anything though :\

What if we compared weed and other illicit drugs to some of the pharmaceuticals? I was once given oxycodone for back pain. I downed a couple and as my back felt better I decided to drive out to a mate's place. Wrong decision! That was one scary drive and I waited until I was straight again before embarking on the drive home. Now just how many people are out there on the roads with pharmaceuticals in their blood which would result in impaired driving? Lot's I reckon.

How about a proper screening program where these drugs are also tested for? Such tests might scare so many into staying off the road that it could well solve all our problems; traffic congestion, fuel shortage crisis, and pollution all in one!

I'd say it goes without saying. It's all about your level of intoxication.

Although I do think Alcohol makes people far more stupid and reckless than pot.

fuck it - we shud all demonise weed.. its probably almost the single one most problematic substance abused.. and it ruins lives too.. why does everything think its okay coz it grows frm the ground? its a load of crock shit - ur getting high off a chemical all the same right?

i hate weed - for all ive seen it do to fucking so many dif ppl - and my family members (mum/dad/brothers) and i fucking hate it.

Phase Dancer
What if we compared weed and other illicit drugs to some of the pharmaceuticals? I was once given oxycodone for back pain. I downed a couple and as my back felt better I decided to drive out to a mate's place. Wrong decision! That was one scary drive and I waited until I was straight again before embarking on the drive home. Now just how many people are out there on the roads with pharmaceuticals in their blood which would result in impaired driving? Lot's I reckon.
Thats so true PD. I have a mate who is perscribed valium and xanax for anxiety. He takes up to 20-40mg of valium a day and 1-2mg of xanax on top of that. Now he's not dangerous behind the wheel, never breaks the speed limit and very rarely drives after dark 8) However, his driving senses are so dulled sometimes that he forgets road rules like indicating to change lanes! It's just like driving with a stoner!

I agree totally, if they're gonna enforce these drug driving laws it should be across the board! There are so many suburbans who drive around on their different benzos, then go home and read the Herald Sun and watch Today Tonight and shake their heads at how reckless ppl are driving on drugs 8)

And yeah, I want to see this study. The news papers are so ready to just pick and choose the bits they can create some hysteria around that the overall conclusion of the thing may be toatally hidden by their crap. 8(

Who cares. Not one person has died or overdosed from marijuana. Circumstances such as driving intoxicated is something else, and besides you can sit at home and drink alcohol in a safe environment and still die.

the study found participants who smoked cannabis were more likely to lane-weave and stop too close to vehicles in front of them.
perhaps its just me but lane weaving (most likely meaning 'changing lanes without indicating') and not slamming on the breaks is a little different to drifting on and off the road, and not braking at all...