• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: 35 drug arrests after Melbourne rave party

Tronica

Executive Director
Staff member
35 drug arrests after Melbourne rave party

October 8, 2006 - 10:00AM

The Age: Link

Thirty-five people have been arrested for drug offences after police targeted a Melbourne rave party.

The ravers were part of a group of about 7500 who attended the [event] dance party at Melbourne Park overnight.

Police with sniffer dogs targeted people entering the dance festival and found some with ecstasy and speed.

Senior Constable Mia Paterson said police welcomed the small number of arrests.

"Police are generally happy with the crowd behaviour," she said.

The [event] has recently been held in Brisbane, Perth and Sydney.

Related Article from Friday's Mx, p. 2. not available online

Sniffer dog fear at rave

A drug expert has called for a review of the use of sniffer dogs at dance parties as revellers gear up for tomorrow's [event].

Police have flagged the use of sniffer dogs at [event] to reduce possible drug overdoses.

But Turning Point research fellow Dr Jen Johnston said today there was evidence to suggest the dogs could do more harm than good.

"It certainly is a concern that there's some anecdotal evidence to suggest that sniffer dogs do impact on people's drug behaviour and patterns of use in ways that potentially can cause more harm," she said.

"There are reports that people are taking all their drugs at once when they see sniffer dogs or hiding them in ways that can cause harm.

"It certainly is a concern and something that needs to be looked into."

Johnston pointed to a recent report from the NSW State Ombudsman which said that state's sniffer dog squad should be scrapped.

The Ombudsman found more than 10,000 people were singled out by the NSW sniffer dogs in pubs, train stations, on the streets and at dance parties in two years, but only 19 were prosecuted.

Ravesafe co-ordinator Purple Hazelwood said party goers could overdose when confronted with sniffer dogs.

"People react to sniffer dogs by taking a whole bunch of drugs before they go, or when they see the dogs, dropping everything that they have got on them," she said.

Victoria Police drug and alcohol strategy unit head Insp Steve James said the concerns were "urban myth".

He said police were trained in first aid and worked closely with event organisers to ensure the health of revellers.

Did anyone that went last night have any comments about the sniffer dogs and how they influenced your night, if at all?

Thanks for posting the MX article, I saw it on Friday but wasn't able to find online version, the comments from police about people taking all their drugs at once being an "urban myth" are pretty revealing.

The point where ravesafe is mentioning the dogs doing more harm then good.

I think these stupid comments are better left unsaid - the idea is drugs are illegal thus you should have them on you in the first place - if you overdose and die as a result of your own stupidity/risk taking - good luck to you.

removing the dogs will never happen.

The sniffer dog situation is rather true..

On my way up to a day time 'event' late last month in Melbourne, I had already dropped one about 10 minutes prior to arriving.. I had one on me to do me into the event, before I left..

As I approached, I saw the police and their parade of dogs.. I calmly walked to the shore and took my camera out, took a few happy snaps of the brown yarra and swallowed the one I had on me.

I knew I wouldn't OD or whatnot, but it was inconvenient and the dogs did compel me to take more than I wanted to at once..

hmmm...

yas.

Just park your car somewhere not close to party, leave drugs in car, pass outs allow you to take drugs as needed, then walk back to the event even if its a fifteen minute walk. It's not that hard. That or drop some sassafras oil all around the dance event a few hours before the jacks come to make the dogs go schizo :p

Splatt said:
That or drop some sassafras oil all around the dance event a few hours before the jacks come to make the dogs go schizo :p
I like this idea.

Drug dogs crash the party
Matt Cunningham
October 09, 2006 12:00am

POLICE detected 35 people carrying drugs during the God's Kitchen dance party at Melbourne Park early yesterday.

Police used a sniffer dog to help detect various drugs including speed and ecstasy.

Those caught possessing the drugs will either face prosecution or be forced to attend a drug diversion program.

One person was arrested and charged with assault and theft.

More than 7500 people attended the overnight event, part of a worldwide rave festival.

Despite the drug busts, police and emergency services said the crowd was generally well behaved.

The Metropolitan Ambulance Service praised partygoers for showing restraint, with no reports of drug overdoses.

MAS spokesman Ray Rowe said paramedics had helped treat some people at the scene for dehydration, but no one was taken to hospital.

Police say they believe the number of people overdosing at rave parties has decreased since the introduction of sniffer dogs.

In March 2004, at the Two Tribes dance party at Rod Laver Arena, 10 people overdosed.

Insp Chris Duthie said: "I put the lack of overdoses since we have been using the dogs down to the fact that people are wary of using drugs when they are coming to these parties because they know they could get caught."

The dogs are trained to smell certain drugs and sit next to people with a drug-related scent. With the dogs' help, police caught 35 people in possession of drugs at Summadayze at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl last New Year's Day.

In February the dogs helped police catch 69 people during a Two Tribes dance party at Melbourne Park.

"I hope people are getting the message that these drugs are not fun and it isn't a game," Insp Duthie said. "If they take these drugs they have a good chance of getting sick, or worse."

Some nearby residents complained about the loudness of the God's Kitchen party. Lynette Stewart, of Toorak, suffers migraines and said the noise woke her several times. "I could hear pounding coming through the floor all night," she said.

Herald Sun

In March 2004, at the Two Tribes dance party at Rod Laver Arena, 10 people overdosed.

Insp Chris Duthie said: "I put the lack of overdoses since we have been using the dogs down to the fact that people are wary of using drugs when they are coming to these parties because they know they could get caught."

The dogs are trained to smell certain drugs and sit next to people with a drug-related scent. With the dogs' help, police caught 35 people in possession of drugs at Summadayze at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl last New Year's Day.

As I recall, there were ten hospitalisations at Two Tribes '04 but I think only eight were GHB-related.

The lack of overdoses could have as much to do with the stigma that GHB now has in the dance scene and this could have just as much to do with efforts from dance clubs and promoters. It could also have something to do with the growing popularity of meth.

Finally, in the overwhelming majority of cases, the dogs are catching a scent of marijuana and busting people carrying personal amounts of pot and sometimes speed/pills. Not often do they catch large trafficable amounts or drugs like G that can cause more problems in a dance party setting.

I recall reading something in the paper about them considering not using sniffer dogs because the risk of overdose is higher cos people get scared and eat all their drugs or something like that.. Stupid i know but i guess it could happen

I doubt they will but honestly 35 out of 7,500 thats pretty poor effort on their behalf considering majority of people going would have had a lot of drugs on them.
If they were that serious about raves being drug free theyd strip search everyone before they went in.

i was at the event on saturday night.

there was 1 labrador and 4 cops at the gates. As for inside i never saw any police at all unlike at two tribes, were they seemed to be everywhere.

ive been to a few of these events and i must admit (personal opinion) i have never seen a crowd more wired up than on Saturday, drugs were flowing around everywhere out in the open.

but it was alright night, i got to meet Mr Eddie Halliwell, get a photo with him and he signed a mates shirt.
he rocked it, best set of the night by far=D

I recall reading something in the paper about them considering not using sniffer dogs because the risk of overdose is higher cos people get scared and eat all their drugs or something like that.. Stupid i know but i guess it could happen
The NSW Ombandsman report took this idea very seriously, it's shocking that the police can just palm this fact off as an "urban myth"! Their results are ridiculous! Yeah, 35 "arrests"(more like 35 with a cution to go into a drug education prog) from a total of maybe 6000 people actually on drugs has stemmed the use of drugs at large raves.. are they insane! I can't wait till someone actually fights this thing out in court and a Victorian Judge recognizes that we are the only state drug dogs are able to operate without a official 'act'!

there was 1 labrador and 4 cops at the gates
Was the dog sniffing everyone? I went to last years and that didnt happen, it would've peaked me out so hard if it did!

ilikeacid said:
Was the dog sniffing everyone? I went to last years and that didnt happen, it would've peaked me out so hard if it did!

Nah it was just sort of hanging round the front where you line up to go in when i saw it.. I had to wait out front for a good half hour & didnt see anyone get done.

^^^ pretty much what she said.

When my brothers mate went at 10pm there were dogs, we turned up at 12am and there wernt any dogs at all, at 12:30 i went to wait for a mate and there was 1 dog, during those 15 min i waited, the dog seemed to have a intense burst of sniffing 5min of trying to sniff everyone and then sorta backed off after, the cops even had a break moved to the back of the line, they had a chat and the dog just sat there. funny how everyone hurriley tried to get thru during this time. Not to mention like 50 people on the top of the steps on their mobiles giving live updates to their friends.
and then there were those fucking retards, yelling into their mobiles "THERES DOGGSSSS MAN WHAT ARE WE GONNA DOOOO" so the whole 6000 people could hear them.

Not to mention like 50 people on the top of the steps on their mobiles giving live updates to their friends.
lol!! gotta love the live update!

I didn't see any dogs but ran into some undercovers at the car parks just next to Vodaphone. I thought there might have been undercovers inside GK as well but I have no clue as to whether the police would have bothered putting them in there.

Last edited:
ilikeacid said:
lol!! gotta love the live update!

lol im not kidding the guy next to me was like.

"the dogs moving left hes going to the far left line, hes sniffing someone, JUMP IN LINE QUICK JUMP IN NOW!"

lol

i didnt see any trouble inside though, no one being arrested or anything.
im suprised because at two tribes, there was alot of uniformed cops around, they even came onto the dancefloor and started dancing, and took photos with all the ravers, even let some chicks wear their hats in the photos. Made me feel real comfortable knowing they were laid back.

Hoptis, your explanations are much more likely than the concept that sniffer dogs are acting as a deterrent such that no-one takes drugs into raves anymore (!). It's laughable (it would be if it wasn't actually taken as a serious view).

hoptis said:
As I recall, there were ten hospitalisations at Two Tribes '04 but I think only eight were GHB-related.

The lack of overdoses could have as much to do with the stigma that GHB now has in the dance scene and this could have just as much to do with efforts from dance clubs and promoters. It could also have something to do with the growing popularity of meth.

Finally, in the overwhelming majority of cases, the dogs are catching a scent of marijuana and busting people carrying personal amounts of pot and sometimes speed/pills. Not often do they catch large trafficable amounts or drugs like G that can cause more problems in a dance party setting.

Drugs don't sniff out G so how can they say the dogs have stopped overdosing? dumb...
It's because there's not much of it around at the moment, i'm guessing.

Isn't there always G related OD's at melb raves?

trancegirle said:
35 out of 7,500 thats pretty poor effort on their behalf .

If thats a poor effort then whast would you call this?

The Ombudsman found more than 10,000 people were singled out by the NSW sniffer dogs in pubs, train stations, on the streets and at dance parties in two years, but only 19 were prosecuted.