• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Alprazolam and Clonazepam Solubility

I don't think there has been anyone hinting at injection in this thread. Putting pure pharmaceutical grade alprazolam in solution is about the only way to accurately dose out oral doses. Very, very few people have the necessary scales accurate to 0.0001 and even if you had one it would still be less accurate and painstaking to weigh out each individual dose.

I dosed my 20 mg/mL onto pez and it works like a charm. With 25 ul per pez, I get 0.50 mg alprazolam on each one (and with a very small margin of error).

Still I gotta say benzos suck unless you are just using them on a rare occasion to get to sleep. I use them about once a week now and they are perfect for the job, but it's easy to get physiologically addicted even after using them only 3 or 4 nights in a row.

Would it be possible to make a 0.4mg/ml solution of alprazolam solution using 80-proof vodka (100mg alprazolam in 250ml vodka) or would the solubility of the substance not allow for this concentration?

Xanax in EtOH/PEG

Hi there - I've been participating in a email discussion with other Australian needle exchange workers for the last few days about injecting Xanax - apparently it is getting big in some of the farther-flung parts of Aus. Here's a titbit so you know where I'm coming from:

Hi all

We are having the same problem with Xanax injecting in Darwin to the extent that I have been referring to it as an epidemic.

We also had a serious Temazepam problem befor the caps were withdrawn.

I can think of 5 local Darwin people with recent amputations: half a foot, a hand, 2 fingers, 3 fingers, and a fore-arm. These are people known to me, without even thinking of those I've heard of.

As a peer-educator and a human being I feel helpless.

I talk a lot to Xanax injectors, they all know the risk, some say they just can't stop, some say they don't care, some believe they're invincible.

Once, just once, a young man was going to inject Xanax and came to the Underground NSP to collect equipment. I took a chance and asked him to try taking it sub-lingually (under his tongue) just this once, as this way it bypasses your liver and is the effect is quick, and I knew he wasn't an idiot and did he really want black fingers - or none?

He looked at me, said, "Fuck it Fi, you're right!" and threw it in his mouth before he could change his mind.

He no longer injects Xanax.

But then, there's this girl who gets seriously messed up using Xanax, has just seperated from her partner (because of her Xanax use), father of her 6 mth baby, who she's rightly scared she'll lose to welfare if she doesn't get her act together.

Her best friend has black fingers and is scheduled for an amputation.

We talk, she cries, she says she's not going to do it again, she knows what it's doing and then she does it again.

I saw a slight improvement last chat, yesterday, but I'm so scared for her.

Her story is far more common than the one person who changed.

Poverty and greedy morphine dealers ($80 for 100mg MsContin since the Xmas drought) and a shortage of pot due to some serious busts is pusher more people onto benzos.

Last week I was talking to reps from other Australian states and asked if they too had the problem we in the NT we having with Xanax and everyone said yes.

No, there is no way to safely inject Xanax. And as I said, so far, telling people that alprazolam is going to do damage doesn't work.

I would be greatful for any hints on how to make some difference with this dangerous trend.

So it seems clear that for some people, actually helping them inject Xanax more safely is really going to help them. Jasoncrest suggets that an EtOH/PEG mix will do the trick of dissolving the alprazolam - presumably a pass through a micron filter would then remove any particulates left in the mix. I'm interested to know what other tablet excipients would end up dissolving in the EtOH/PEG, and how dangerous it would be to inject them.

This is so sad to read first thing in the morning :(

Micron filters are a must - I don't know about Australia, but I know that very few exchange programs in North America have those... Also, I have reason to believe that PEG should be enough, no Alcohol needed, but I could be wrong...

Sorry to hijack but the OP has an answer for his question.

Does anyone know the solubility details for phenazepam, the russian developed benzo? I'm having trouble finding much info in english.

Thanks

It is possible to dissolve a benzo pill using another liquid benzo mixture like valium,xanax or rivotril ?

^hey possibly - but you would still need to filter out all the non-soluble pill components (talc etc) if you were planning to inject it. You would need a micron filter for that.

Does anyone have any info of benzo solubility in DMSO?

tocris.com is a great information resource, but not perfectly complete.

Thanks

Sorry to hijack but the OP has an answer for his question.

Does anyone know the solubility details for phenazepam, the russian developed benzo? I'm having trouble finding much info in english.

Thanks

"
Solubility: Not dissolve in water and ether, slightly soluble in 95% in ethanol
soluble in chloroform.
Clarity: 0.1g sample dissolved in 5ml chloroform, the clear and transparent.
Color solution: 0.1g sample dissolved in 5ml chloroform, the colorless
"

I have inquired about more extensive data and I will get back to you as soon as/if I get any wiser.

Be well.

update----
The only info I got was what I already knew (in this post already)

Last edited:
In my year of psychological breakdown and benzo addiction I used to IV the oral drops of Rivotril (Clonazepam) mostly for the rush and the potency (plus IVing started to fascinate me).
I knew it wasn't reccoemended..but back then i couldn't care less.

The solution contained propylene glycol, sodic saccharin, peach aroma (a very strong minty peach aroma that, incredibly, I could 'taste' even when IVing), glacial acetic acid and water.

How bad could that have been for me?

peach aroma (a very strong minty peach aroma that, incredibly, I could 'taste' even when IVing

It's not incredible at all, IV:ing anything that has a strong taste gives a strong taste sensation. For example, IV:ing suboxone gives you a taste of lemon, probably because of the citric acid and flavouring in it.

How bad could that have been for me?

Probably not very, if you haven't noticed any long lasting symptoms. Although it's not recommended to inject oral solutions, it may still in some cases be healthier than injecting street drugs.

I myself have long ago injected diazepam oral drops, which were ethanol based IIRC... No harm done. Although I have to say, diazepam is worthless as an IV drug, you feel the alcohol more than you feel the diazepam...

It's not incredible at all, IV:ing anything that has a strong taste gives a strong taste sensation. For example, IV:ing suboxone gives you a taste of lemon, probably because of the citric acid and flavouring in it.

Probably not very, if you haven't noticed any long lasting symptoms. Although it's not recommended to inject oral solutions, it may still in some cases be healthier than injecting street drugs.

I myself have long ago injected diazepam oral drops, which were ethanol based IIRC... No harm done. Although I have to say, diazepam is worthless as an IV drug, you feel the alcohol more than you feel the diazepam...

Most likely a suspension and not a solution, right? But on the other hand I don't think the pharm company uses lighters and cotton balls either so shoot away!

edit---
btw I'm about to try sublingual clonazepam+lorazepam dissolved in DMSO. Speaking of which; I'm surprised I haven't heard more about DMSO here. It's a great solvent for lots of stuff, and low toxicity. Unless you're into ocular injections...

Last edited:
It is possible to dissolve a benzo pill using another liquid benzo mixture like valium,xanax or rivotril ?
Thats a good question and I reckon that would depend on whether or not the solution is saturated. IV Ativan comes disolved in propylene glycol (has an interesting sickly sweet taste). Anyway, seems easy on the veins. I be careful with some of the other solutions- some of these may act as vesicants and cause phlebitis which is horrible and very painful- red streaks going up arm tracing vein is a classic symptom- also one needs to think about balancing pH- very important for preventing phlebitis/ extravation/ overall irritation. The drug phenergan is a classic culprit- small dose did this too me (had patent IV with good blood return). Last drug I did after dilaudid, MSO4, ativan. Passed out woke up with arm throbing. Thought I had developed compartmental syndrome. Horrible pain lasted for weeks. I was lucky- people have been known to loose limbs this way. IV ativan pharm preparation dosen't require a filter before use in hospital. IV valium I heard burns- but that has gone into disuse- last heard of this used like 5-6 years ago. I would strongly advise against trying to IV PO ativan/clonopin preparations. The risks far outweigh whatever benefits you might get from the meager high- and sublingual route works so well with eather drug.

Sorry to revive a dead thread but I'm curious about clonazepam's solubility in DMSO as well. I found a PDF from a DMSO manufacturer that shows that 9g/mL of lorazepam will go into solution and I am curious about clonazepam.

My reasoning for this question has nothing to do with injecting. I have been on benzos for years... since 2004... I managed to cut a 5-8mg a day habit of Xanax down to just 2mg of Klonopin but now I want off the Klonopin entirely. I've heard that liquid titration is the best way to do this but I don't trust the "blend the fuck out of it and quickly toss the excess dose" method of liquid titration. Switching to Valium is not an option (I have benzo rage from Klonopin which is MUCH less likely to induce that than Valium) and I'm very sensitive to cuts. I tried cutting .25mg and had to go up to 2.75mg 36 hours later because it was too fast of a cut.

My doctor won't write me a compounding pharmacy prescription either so that's not an option.

Does anyone have solubility data for clonazepam in DMSO? DMSO is very cheap and easily found - I would just have to make sure not to get it on my skin as I'm not quite sure what would happen if clonazepam got sucked in through my skin :O

Sorry to revive a dead thread but I'm curious about clonazepam's solubility in DMSO as well. I found a PDF from a DMSO manufacturer that shows that 9g/mL of lorazepam will go into solution and I am curious about clonazepam.

My reasoning for this question has nothing to do with injecting. I have been on benzos for years... since 2004... I managed to cut a 5-8mg a day habit of Xanax down to just 2mg of Klonopin but now I want off the Klonopin entirely. I've heard that liquid titration is the best way to do this but I don't trust the "blend the fuck out of it and quickly toss the excess dose" method of liquid titration. Switching to Valium is not an option (I have benzo rage from Klonopin which is MUCH less likely to induce that than Valium) and I'm very sensitive to cuts. I tried cutting .25mg and had to go up to 2.75mg 36 hours later because it was too fast of a cut.

My doctor won't write me a compounding pharmacy prescription either so that's not an option.

Does anyone have solubility data for clonazepam in DMSO? DMSO is very cheap and easily found - I would just have to make sure not to get it on my skin as I'm not quite sure what would happen if clonazepam got sucked in through my skin :O

I would like to know the solubility of clonazepam in DMSO.

Have not been able to find out though.

A few thoughts anyway:

The solubility in DMSO should be decent.

Acetone might be a viable alternative for extraction. Someone cited 31mg/ml in acetone, at RT. Sigma-Aldrich rounded the number to 20mg/ml.

3µg/ml is a conservative estimate of the solubility of clonazepam in water (39.7µg/ml is the upper bond by the same logic).

In practice it probably largely depends on how much of a hassle you're willing to go through for this.

A PEG like PEG 400 or PEG 800 would probably raise the solubility quite a bit.

If you find a simple answer - let me know!

I guess I'll just grab some and try it out... couldn't be any worse than doing a water titration...

I guess I'll just grab some and try it out... couldn't be any worse than doing a water titration...

Roche makes 2.5mg/ml sol. that gives 0.1mg/drop. Any way to get that? Or try quarters of 0.5mg pills?

From what I can tell the only solvent they use besides water is propylene glycol, I believe the solution is a bit acidic too.

I had a feeling that propylene glycol would be the answer to solubility... Miralax here I come LOL.

I don't know if they have that in the US - nor do I know if my doctor will prescribe it to me (though he has no problem giving me 4 pills a day - go figure)