Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Australian - 27/09/2006 'Young turning from ecstasy to ice'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Young turning from ecstasy to ice
Simon Kearney
September 27, 2006

INCREASING numbers of teenagers as young as 16 are becoming social smokers of the stimulant drug ice, as they look for alternatives to the party pill ecstasy.

The latest monitoring of ecstasy users by the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre has found that young people are smoking ice with their friends as drug syndicates deliberately seek a younger market.

The Australian National Council on Drugs said yesterday it was concerned the syndicates were shifting their business base away from heroin to the equally addictive ice.

"We underestimate the marketing ability of illicit drug manufacturers. They're targeting younger people. We're seeing this in Asia with young, affluent people," said council chief executive Gino Vumbaca.

The demand has prompted drug syndicates to convert industrial factories overseas to produce the drug in massive quantities. Australian authorities were recently involved in investigating the biggest such operation so far uncovered - a converted shampoo factory capable of producing 60kg of ice a day worth $2.7million.

Australian Federal Police took part in the operation in Malaysia in June and found the 21 people arrested were using a relatively new recipe that enabled them to make the drug from freely available chemicals. "It's the largest clandestine laboratory that we know of globally," AFP acting national manager of border and international Tim Morris said. "There are links to this seizure to all around the Asia Pacific region. It's reasonable to conclude that some of the product would have found its way into the Australian market."

The bust netted about half a tonne of finished and partly processed ice as well as 80,000 ecstasy tablets. The AFP sent chemists and federal agents to Malaysia after the bust to comb the facility for intelligence and clues to other operations.

Mr Morris said ice was becoming one of the most prevalent drug types the AFP's overseas officers were dealing with.

In Australia the picture was becoming grimmer with the highly addictive drug becoming attractive to a young, affluent party set who were taking it with friends as an alternative to ecstasy.

Monitoring of users by the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre has found that increasing numbers of young people aged 16 to 25 are smoking ice as a social way of taking the drug.

Senior research fellow Rebecca McKetin said methamphetamine as a drug class was now second only to cannabis in its use among young people in Australia.

"Smoking ice has become popular with young drug users," she said.

"The emergence of ice has been accompanied by a noticeable shift in the demographic.

"It's a pretty young group of drug users. They take ecstasy, smoke pot and they're starting to take ice.

"The thing about smoking ice is it's much more addictive and a lot of young people are naive to the addictive tendency of ice."

The United Nations and the Australian National Council on Drugs will release reports today detailing the spread of the drug across the Asia Pacific and the health risks, particularly HIV and AIDS.

The Australian

Yeah, well it's not surprising, ice still - despite media attention - doesn't carry the stigma of drugs like G and Heroin.

E to some degree has the 'pillpopper' stigma, which is/was easily over come - but with declining ecstacy quality, methamphetamine abuse is only likely to rise. Especially within the younger groups - it's becoming widely available aswell.

Judging by the (albeit slow) turnaround in opinion from a few younger friends of mine, I think there may be a backlash against ice in the coming years. Several of them have stopped smoking it and are now coming to the realisation of how much a hold it had on their lives. Whilst their drug taking in general has slowed (nothing new there) they've absolutely dumped ice.

around my area ice is the first drug most people try, many of my mates were way more scared of pills than ice, most of them are turning to pills now though.

I think alcohol is the real problem here, in the last few months 80% of my mates have become alcoholics, 50% of my mates are minors.

the_ketaman said:
around my area ice is the first drug most people try, many of my mates were way more scared of pills than ice, most of them are turning to pills now though.

I think alcohol is the real problem here, in the last few months 80% of my mates have become alcoholics, 50% of my mates are minors.

Reading shit like that pisses me off. Most start off on ice because they are afraid to try pills? What morons!

Bent Mk2 said:
Judging by the (albeit slow) turnaround in opinion from a few younger friends of mine, I think there may be a backlash against ice in the coming years. Several of them have stopped smoking it and are now coming to the realisation of how much a hold it had on their lives. Whilst their drug taking in general has slowed (nothing new there) they've absolutely dumped ice.
I've experienced similar things with my friends, ice is definitely losing popularity in my scene.

Meth is da evil

I blame the lack of proper drug education.
Joe Ignorant parent only knows the difference between legal and illegal.
So the kid is told 'all illegal drugs are bad' instead of 'in the inevitable scenario that you experiment, stay the fuck away from X, Y , Z'

Small brains only see black and white :(

What confuses me is that the media is allways saying that Ice is Methamphetamine but I was under the impression the Ice was 4-MAR. Is the media wrong or me? Or maybe their trying to put both smokeable Meth and 4-MAR under the same name so the evil stigma that Ice is gaining for itself will apply for both drugs. That would be nice demand reduction.

Whats the difference between speed and ice? I hear there cousins, i do speed and everyone has said they like the speed better than the ice.

freebase meth is an oil and isnt smokable. Ice is slang for crystal meth. No one refers to 4-mar when they say "Ice" in Australia.

The Weekend Australian mag had an article on the issue yesterday. Got to say if its real and not media hysteria, some of the psychosis one bloke in particular was having was pretty bloody evil!

TVs and newspapers were apparently telling him he's commited a ton of murders so he wandered in to the police station and confessed to everything. So they put him in a psyche ward.

Basix was right. From Erowid:

Chemistry
Powder methamphetamine is the hydrochloride salt form which is strongly hygroscopic (absorbs water from the air quickly). The HCl salt is smokable as is. Crystal meth "Crystal Meth" or "Ice" refer to methamphetamine grown into crystals. Though many people believe that Crystal Meth is the freebase form of methamphetamie HCl, this is not true. Methamphetamine is smokable in its normal HCL form, but taking the time to grow it into crystals makes it easier to smoke. Meth in visible crystals (rather than powder) is likely to be relatively pure as it is difficult to grow crystals from impure material. Methamphetamine freebase is an oil and is uncommon on the street.