• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Air Jordan Appreciation Thread (nike)

L2R

Bluelight Crew
Being a teen of the early 90's, my heart lies in the pop culture of the time and slightly earlier.
Rapp IMO, attained perfection with Public Enemy's "Apocalypse 91 The Enemy Strikes Black", NWA's "Efilrofzaggin" and Ice Cube's "Amerikkka's Most Wanted" and "Predator" albums.
But what I fell in love with just as much are Air Jordan (previously Nike Air Jordan) basketball shoes.
Ever since i bought my first pair of all black Air Jordan VI's
Air_Jordan_VI_AJVI0002.JPG

which i still think are the most awesome designs ever (circa 1991), i've been a rather large fan, and currently own several (not sure exactly how many) pairs.

There were several lackluster designs from XII - IXX (they're numbered one each year since the first model in 1985), so i'm not as hardcore a fan as many (I also actually wear mine), but despite this, I've happily purchased a couple of tshirts to make the following statement:
deletemefx8.jpg

Anyone relate?

i've currently got on my all white Carmello V.5's. which are hard on inducing to say the least.
de_2.JPG

Despite being a cross between the best two Air Jordan designs V's and VI's, and being the most comfy pair ever, they have serious design floor: their soles squeek.
I've returned and exchanged these shoes twice, which ultimately afforded me the time to upgrade from the black/blue to all white, and fine tune the size, but still, every single pair fucking squeeks!
There's no forum on the official nike or air jordan websites that i can find, so i'm spilling my guts here hoping that at least one person feels my pain.

slight off topic...

If you watch The Fugitive, with Harrison Ford, when he jumps out of that pipe over the waterfall, he looks exactly like the Air Jordan silhouette as he's falling/flying through the air.

I could never wear Nike shoes, my feet were too wide, what a waste...

pain felt...

being reminded that I'm a teenager of the 90's made me feel warm and fuzzy. Thanx L2R, I think I'm gonna go get stoned and watch Freddy Krugeur movies now :)

ah... memories...

oh, and I never got Jordans... my mum was a tight ass... I got aerosport until I was like 16, when I got my first nikes... now I'm on the Airwalks... best, shoe, ever!

I wore black leather steel toe/plate Terra shoes for a job a couple years ago, now I wear them daily, best non-dress shoe's I've ever had.

^
Pic of the month from "WC Weekly"

I fuckin LOVE XI's. I've still got my (just about dead) original release pair.

Have you seen the Defining Moments Package? You get special versions of both VI's and XI's. I've seen one on sale here in sydney and it's great and all but not $1100 great.
DMP.jpg

still, god damn gorgeous.

L2R, I don't know you at all....

but I would've never gussed u to be the type of guy to sport jordans or Melo's lol

cheers beagle :)

Oh i'm excited!
according to www.niketalk.com all i have to do is rip out the inner soles of my melo v.5's, sprinkle baby powder inside and replace the inner sole the next day.
apparently the squeaking is from the glue keeping the inner soles in. damn, i can't wait till tomorrow!:D:D:D:D

god damn i want the melo all stars something bad!
melo55_all_star_3.jpg

for anyone's info, my belated engagement party is this saturday and they're going for AUD$105 on ebay ;););););)

oh, and size 10 please :p

i am a kid of the early 90s as well....hiphop exploded in atlanta when i was about 11-12 and of course with that came all those damn air jordans. ;)

i didn't like the ones that came out in...90-91 i think it was. kinda meshy if i remember. but the ones after that, or maybe one or 2 years after those, i absolutely loved. they were all-black, and part of the sole was like this red/pink color and that was it. i'll find a pic. anything after i graduated high school is lost on me...didn't keep up with it and wasn't exposed to it as much in a mostly-white small town college.

haha....L2R i don't know ya very well either and even seeing your pic i still wouldn't have pegged you as such. :)

ok the ones i really didn't like that were HUGE were the V's:
Air_Jordan_V_Black_Silver_001.jpg

and i guess what i liked were the VI's, but i got the description a little wrong in my post:
77T3SPT7T2J669PZA3.jpg

Last edited:

Yep, these ^^ are the ones I had when I was a kid. Michael Jordan was my hero until I was like 14. I used to argue with my grandad for hours trying to convince him that Mike really could fly. This guy was like a superhuman - nobody like him has come across since, with such a huge impact on the world.

It's like he took the red pill, and everyone else on the court was trapped in the matrix for real. %)

These are the sickest Jordans ever made, though, but I couldn't afford them and my dad sure as hell wasn't going to buy them for me:

Jordans I Have

air-jordan-4-iv-fire-red-mars-1.jpg

4 (Mars)
jXgrey.jpg

106-0632_IMG.JPG

17+
review_jordanxviii_sole.jpg

18 (MY first and Favorite pair of J's)
review_jordanxviii_low_34.jpg

18 Lows (the only Jordans I regret buying)
aj19_flint_side_400.jpg

XIX
4511_b.jpg

Carmelo 1.5

^i dig them melo's dude.

my second pair of black VI's are on their deathbed. :(

FB, i recently picked up a pair of IV's in shanghai (real ones too):
dsp_aj_016.jpg

i'm wearing them today, now that i've cleaned the sick i got on em at the staff xmas party a couple of weeks ago