• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Support Salvia legalisation in Oz!

I have 5 plants here in NZ ..
Apparently you can get a permit to import dried salvia into Australia.. some guy was talking to me about it

Its good to see people trying to get drugs like these legalised but unfortunately I think its all going to be to no evail. The Australian Government is FUCKED!!!, they will never allow any type of recreational drug to be legalised in australia. I guess everyone is just going to have to stick to alcohol and cigarettes so the government can get their cut of the money and we can get lung cancer and liver failure. Why doesn't the government ban those substances? thousands upon thousands of people die in Australia each year and its common knowledge that these substances are harmful to the body but they dont ban them. Its because smokes and alcohol are socially acceptable so the government can make a tidy profit from selling it to australians. Unfortunately anyone who uses drugs recreationally in Australia is labled a druggo and thus any recreational drug is considered socially unacceptable. It fucken sux. And things are never going to change. :X

As great as it would be, Salvia is too intense a drug to be legalised IMO.
But if it is, sweet, I'd be buying it.

The Australian Salvia Crusaders

In June 2003, unaware of this hidden 1 year old Australian law, The Australian Salvia Crusaders, yet un-named, discovered Salvia Divinorum and began to explore its wonders. So impressed with what was found, and with the belief that Salvia Divinorum was unregulated, it was decided to create a website where we could report our findings and reports from our salvia induced journeys/trips and the other benefits we have received. The name Salvia Crusaders appealed to us so we went with it, little did we know it was to have a much more real meaning than we first thought.

On the 18th of August, The first version of this website was placed online. It featured only a few pages about, Salvia Divinorum, Salvia Crusaders members, pictures and photos, as well as a couple of trip reports.

While researching the Internet for more information, we discovered that Australia had been the first country to ban Salvia Divinorum, a year earlier, and we were shocked beyond belief. On researching the banning process and the published findings of the TGA it became clear that we do in fact have a crusade on our hands. A crusade to bring honesty and rationality back into Australian Law, and return the freedom to Australians to use Salvia Divinorum in peace.

So our website was transformed into bringing attention to how the Australian people are hoodwinked into loosing more of our freedom by unelected, selfish, ego driven, burocrats, who, it seems, have little regard for facts.

I like their attitude but I doubt they will get far with the Australian government and the drug they have chosen to campaign for. :\

its not gunna happen tho why care if its legal or not its one of the easiest drugs to get hold of

^^^
I've never came accross the stuff or ever or heard of anyone getting hold of it and I know alot of different dd's, I guess it all comes down to the area your in and the people you know but it cant really be that common or easy to obtain.

Before the bans were imposed, dried salvia preparations were sold in headshops throughout the country. From memory, 10 x and higher concentration extracts were also available. Some people appeared to enjoy the salvia experience, some hated it, and some, despite repeated administrations, couldn't seem to decide :\

I agree with comments regarding the legalisation of the drug. IMO it won't happen, or at least not for many years to come.

I fear that an unprofessional attempt to legalise salvia will only serve to reinforce prejudices and myths.

Image is important because if we come across as irresponsible, unemployed dole bludging punks with little idea of the bigger picture then our points of views will be discounted and forgotten before we even open our mouths.

Ironically its the people with the most to lose, by criminal and social sanction, those with jobs, middle class aspirations and whom live their lives sensibly - albeit using substances that are illegal - that are the only ones that can really change the law.

Its a war - and we have to stand up for what we believe otherwise why should society let us use these substances if we're not prepared to put it on the line to show them how important these things are that we're prepared to risk it all.

I know for certain that my in-laws would never speak to me again if they knew what i did (which would effectively end my marriage) - I know I’d would be fired from my job for taking the drugs I do.

That’s why we get pushed around for our victimless life choice of taking drugs. We’re too scared to be ostracised by our friends, family and employers - criminal penalties are just the icing on the cake really – we’re just too scared to stand up for what we believe in.

In some ways Bluelight aim of responsible use of drugs (well at least minimising the harm caused by irresponsible drug use) will affect ultimately curb behaviour of extremist drug takers in the sub-cultures who's own ethos are utilised by anti-drug crusaders as an argument as to why drugs should remain illegal.

If we can get rid of the dirty hippy, the criminal smacky and the psychotic meth user image then perhaps the middle class will get up but at the rate of change i'd say it'll take bluelight at least another 50-100 years before anything significant happens.

I believe that targeting one drug for law reform is fraught with problems. Drug law reform needs to target all drugs. All drugs have the potential to cause harm and all drugs used within a harm reduction framework have the potential to benefit individuals and societies alike. I think if you put all drugs on a sliding continuum of legal through to illegal it creates the ridiculous, biased system that we have at present. An example of this is the cannabis drug law reform movement at present. Rallying to move cannabis along this continuum to join alcohol and tobacco in the legal basket and still keeping the same flawed system. A Salvia law reform movement runs similar problems. Focussing on Drug related harm within a health framework as opposed to a legal framework helps deal with the potential harms in a far more effective humane manner. Targeting a particular drug at the expense of other drugs is playing by the crazy rules that we already have . Throwing the whole system out and changing our fundamental philosophy of how we deal with what is, after all a basic human right and something that humans have done since the beginning of time ie. the consumption of drugs, regardless of cultural bias or beliefs is the challenge that we face.

Doesn't it suck that we all know that we're fighting a losing battle! I wish calmer heads would prevail and rationallity n fairness would be the the factors to decide the legallity of issues such as this... but we all know its not happening in the current political/social environment :|

As long as Oprah has daily shows featuring, "The drug scourge that destroyed my family and my happy suburban existance and is now on it's way to your house" then we're all fucked. 8(
People don't wanna have to think about these issues, thinking too deeply into something like this would only unravel a heap of other hypocracracies..
Its so much easier for them to just ban it, leaving it up to the govenment/police to deal with people like us.

i fear that a unprofessional attempt to legalise salvia will only serve to reinforce prejudices and myths.

Image is important because if we come across as irresponsible, unemployed dole bludging punks with little idea of the bigger picture then our points of views will be discounted and forgotten before we even open our mouths.

Ironically its the people with the most to lose, by criminal and social sanction, those with jobs, middle class aspirations and whom live their lives sensibly - albeit using substances that are illegal - that are the only ones that can really change the law.

Its a war - and we have to stand up for what we believe otherwise why should society let us use these substances if we're not prepared to put it on the line to show them how important these things are that we're prepared to risk it all.

I know for certain that my in-laws would never speak to me again if they knew what i did (which effectively end my marriage) - I know I’d would be fired from my job for taking the drugs I do.

That’s why we get pushed around for our victimless life choice of taking drugs. We’re too scared to be ostracised by our friends, family and employers - criminal penalties are just the icing on the cake really – we’re just too scared to stand up for what we believe in.

In someways bluelight is sort of working towards responsible use of drugs - the harm miminisation moment in itself affects the sub-cultures that use drugs for their way of life (art, entertainment, music etc). Macro-strategic attempts to curb the extremist drug takers in these sub-cultures will ultimately serve to remove some of the tainted generalised image of a drug taker but that sort of change takes decades, if not hundreds of years to work.

chugs said:
i fear that a unprofessional attempt to legalise salvia will only serve to reinforce prejudices and myths.
Seems the professional approach had little effect either :(

Check out this excellent essay on the prohibition of the mighty sage in Oz: The Prohibition of Diviner's Sage

And the Therapeutic Goods Administration's response to parts of it are on p89 of this pdf (or here).

Last edited:
Thanks. Response from the TGA was pretty much as I'd expected.

Last edited:
Support Salvia legalisation World Wide

Hello and thanks
I think we should stay positive on this one, history has shown prohibition, like all attempts at oppression to be short lived and never looks favourably upon them. Though, yes it is going to be a slow process.

There is no written law in Australia that states “Salvia Divinorum is illegal”, if you know of one, please point it out to me. I have not been able to find one anywhere after 3 years of searching (Do not include media reports, it must be Australian Law).

Currently individual states carry different laws that follow the recommendations of the TGA, who are not the government and do not ‘make’ laws.
This is very interesting as the TGA has demonstrated that they have not instigated any valid research or investigation to produce their findings regarding Salvia Divinorum. Originally they even used uncredited information plagiarised from the internet to add weight to their proposal to list it. Not only was this an illegal reproduction and publication of somebody else’s work but it was flawed and far from correct. They did not evaluate it.

Salvia Divinorum is an herb with known and documented medical usage
Salvia Divinorum is non-toxic
Salvia Divinorum is not a drug of dependence
So, why is it on the TGA list? What did they base their decision on?
Nothing! They were asked to add it by the Department of Complimentary Medicine and they did. No questions.

This my friends, is the can of worms I have been trying to open more so than “legalising Salvia”, the very fact that Australian law depends on a group of seemingly isolated individuals making up a list of things to outlaw. It is farcical that they do not require honest justification for adding anything to their lists. The way they handled Salvia Divinorum undeniably proves they do not demonstrate an adequate level of integrity expected from any organisation that has such an influence on Australian Law.

Laws are designed to ensure the safety and happiness of all Australians and the TGA has now shown that our safety is now in question. They ignored honey, and they had documents and medical evidence to prove that it can be fatal. I guess like most of us they also enjoy their honey on toast and didn’t want to tread on their own liberty.
How can we trust that anything on their lists deserves to be there?
We can not!

The TGA have reduced Australian Drug laws to a lesser value than the paper they are printed or not printed on.

Namaste
- Shayman
¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
http://www.geocities.com/salviacrusaders/
http://360.yahoo.com/salviacrusaders
http://www.geocities.com/aust_gov_drugs/