• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

is topamax recreational?

wesmdow

Bluelighter
well, the title says it all... i have a bottle of it here, and i wanna get high(er)....

but i dont wanna fuck myself up.

i cant find much on in here or anywhere... so i ask all of you: is topamax at all recreational?

Topomax is an anti-convulsant/mood stabilizer. It is used for seizures and in bipolar disorder. It definately is not a recreational drug. 8(

I have taken it before (it was rx to me) and it made my hands and feet fall asleep and messed with my taste buds.

Last edited:
No. I've taken it mistakenly thinking it was something else and all it did was make my lips tingle.

If find blocking a cocaine high recreational, yeah, sure.

I'm jealous as hell of you. Topa is a onwder drug for the psychiatric ills of a certain subset of people, but apparently (at 300 bucks a mon'th!) it'st just not worth thr trouble to the FDA.......

Recreational. . . jeezus! Go hit yourself over the head with a stick.

^ please elaborate...

i got presrcribed these for anxiety.... interestingly. i havent taken any of them.

are you seriously jealous?

do these really block a cocaine high? (BLOCK A COMEDOWN???)

Its not recreational at all but it is good for epilepsy, migraines, and its used off label for bipolar. It's also supposed to suck much less then other anti-convulsants. It also doesn't make you gain weight like other anti-convulsants and can actually make you lose weight.

On the other hand ive read a few sites saying that it can cause alot of cognitive problems such as memory loss and generally feeling like a zombie.

Yeah my sister used to take that and she acted like a zombie

and no it will do nothing for you.

topamax 25mg

i have a slew on medical probs as well as oxy/ fent addicition probs...and just recently my doc put me on topamax (25mg 2 x day) for headaches....personally i think this dose is bullshit and ive upped it myself to 3 pills a day 3 x a day. whats the dose you guys recommend if i want to feel something,ANYTHING< from thse things? thanks!

I think the recommended dose to help migraines is 50 mg 2x a day.

You are supposed to increase it like this though:

# First week -- 25 mg once daily in the evening
# Second week -- 25 mg twice daily
# Third week -- 25 mg in the morning and 50 mg in the evening
# Fourth week -- 50 mg twice daily.

Going from 25 mg 2x a day to 75 mg 3x a day is kinda a big difference. I'm not sure what you are expecting to feel, but if you go too high, too fast it won't be anything good.

ive read some erowid trip reports saying it can be somewhat recreational but we all know how innacurate those can be sometimes...

On the other hand ive read a few sites saying that it can cause alot of cognitive problems such as memory loss and generally feeling like a zombie.

For real. I was rx'd it briefly, and found out there is a reason it's sometimes called "dope-a-max". It caused the weirdest side affect (my doc had warned me that it might): it made me forget words. I'd be telling a story, and I would forget a COMPLETELY basic word, like used to describe something, etc. Who ever I was talking to at the time would end up having to watch as I pretty much played charades to get them to figure out what I was trying to say. I got off that shit quick!

Not recreational (for me, anyway) in the least.

Not recreational, may help anxiety particularly social, my experience.

ratgirl said:
For real. I was rx'd it briefly, and found out there is a reason it's sometimes called "dope-a-max". It caused the weirdest side affect (my doc had warned me that it might): it made me forget words. I'd be telling a story, and I would forget a COMPLETELY basic word, like used to describe something, etc. Who ever I was talking to at the time would end up having to watch as I pretty much played charades to get them to figure out what I was trying to say. I got off that shit quick!
My experience also. It is so frustrating to have one's ability to compose speech completely shot. I also had anger and frustration most of the time I was on it.

Topomax is Sketchy...not fun

So this is my first post ever so bear with me. I actually came out of the woodwork just to respond to this question. I have the marked (dis)/advantage of not only taking just about every imaginable black/grey area substance abused at; clubs, festivals, fuck man in the lots for the people who can't afford tickets to shows, but I've also in the tenure of my drug abusant life have been prescribed just about every psych med their is with the exception of phenobarbital (goddamn it). Anyway about two weeks ago a new and eager psychiatrist wanted to cut down my benzo intake by adding "topomax", she said this would do fundamentally the same thing without addiction but may cause "spaciness". So whatever when a doctor halves your klonopins your kinda bent over the pickle barrel until further notice. So I started taking it, the one thing I can say say without out a shadow of a doubt from the viewpoint of a senior drug abuser is their is no potential for a "high" here. You feel dumb and in my case become so social-phobic you become afraid to leave your own home. Any way The medicine builds in your system in your system over time and the spaciness becomes more pronounced and as was the case with me and what happened was; I parked my car at a local library and after sometime left, WALKED HOME, went to bed, awoke the day, and discovered my car missing only to fly into a paranoid rage call 911 and REPORT MY CAR as stolen. I later went to the library to get my shit together and only upon leaving did I see my car and suddenly remember WHAT A DUMB ASS I AM. Then I had the supreme joy of going into the police and explaining to them that my meds made me walk past my own car and report it stolen, but it all good now. I wonder if they'll search me if I get pulled over or they see me merking down the sidewalk. Long story short, stay the fudge away from topomax! I wasn't even tryin to get high and it made a douchbag out of me, I can't imagine what it would do to a recreational user user ..warcrimes?..pedophilia..I'm not tryin to be overly sarcastic or dramatic and I'm making up 0% of this, this shit can cause blackouts, so dude just be careful!

This actually sounds weirdly fun.
I had a teacher on this for migraines, and she was so talkative, forgetting words, explaining that the whole world felt like a cartoon. She even asked questions over and over again every five minutes. Her eyes were always super glossy. She acted like she was completely new to the world.

I've taken Topamax; my friend had a prescription so we all took four (The doctors had her on SIX at the hospital!). It was a weird trip, an extreme downer. It was somewhat recreational to me, it just lasted too long and had a lot of anxiety on the come down. However, unlike xanax or barbiturates, there wasn't any emotional withdrawal. It acts on GABA, like xanax and alcohol, as well as kainate and AMPA receptors, but not NMDA (the target of PCP). The kainate and AMPA receptors are glutamate receptors, just like NMDA, so the drug has a similar effect. AMPA and NMDA are crucial in brain activity and memory transition, so this drug inhibits that, causing such an intense effect. Hasn't anyone here taken Xanax? (I mean a LOT of Xanax)