Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Advertiser - 04/08/2006 'Students with a drug message'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Students with a drug message
XANTHE KLEINIG
August 04, 2006 12:15am

"BEST not get carried away" is the message southern suburbs teenagers are delivering in a home-grown television commercial about illicit drugs.

The advertisement, filmed and acted by 15 students to educate young people about drug use, will now be entered into a national competition "GetReel".

If successful, their production will be made professionally and aired across Australia.

Year 11 Seaford student Jules Behrens was one of the main characters in the advertisement.

"In our film the character has two different lives - one starts drugs and keeps going and the other starts it and cuts down," he said. "One lives a really great life and the other ends up stuffing it all up.

"At the end they meet up and he finally realises he shouldn't have done the things he did."

The commercial runs for 30 seconds without dialogue and deals with marijuana use.

"Drugs can ruin your life and best not to get carried away," Jules said.

Project coordinator Shane Curley said: "Drug education is essential to the reduction of licit and illicit drug use among young people in Australia."

Students from Seaford, Wirreanda, Morphett Vale and Willunga high schools and Cardijn College took part in the project, earning credit towards their SACE certificates.

From The Advertiser

If Year 11 students in Adelaide can move beyond the 'Just-Say-No' approach to the problems associated with illict drugs, what does it say about the Federal Government who can't?

Why do they always act as if its now that the drugs are on a rise. If they approched it in a way that the students intelligents arent insulted then maybe results will come.

ahhh that brings back fond memories 8).. Doesn't it though.. remember sitting in health class while the teacher tought you about the horrible dangers of all the illicit drugs, thinking "why would anyone take things that are so bad for you that don't do anything good at all"? HaHAHAHAHAHAHAH=D
It took my own iniciative to find out what they were hiding from me. Drug education always had so many holes in it, there's no wonder kids start experimenting with them then all of a sudden find their experiences are no where near these horrible case studies every kid is made to sit through. The just say no approach is a fucken relic, they should have abandoned it 15yrs ago! As long as they rely on painting a doom n gloom picture of drugs, essentially lying to kids to some extent, kids are eventually going to figure out that what they have been told is not the case, and they're just going to disregaurd everything they've learned and rely on their own experimenting to figure out what drugs are "really" about 8( I know thats what I did;)

Atleast they've made some sort of move, from "Drugs will ruin your life" to "Excessive use of drugs will ruin your life, moderate use will not" (and this is on the behalf of school children!), and i use the word "will" because people who aren't involved with drugs tend to think it's black and white. I don't think advertisements will be effective enough whilst still categorizing in the sense that "every heavy user of marajuana.." this and "every light user of marajuana.." that, etc.

That said, it's probably not easy to incorporate anything but a black and white approach in a 30 second advertisement, and the students have atleast taken a more open-minded approach than the government.

The "Just say no" campaign would be much more effective if drugs were still taboo ofcourse, but this isn't the case and hasn't been for a long time, and the powers that be need to realise that generalizations just don't wash with anyone who has an IQ higher than 70.

Hmmm... On a different note: what, if anything, would successfully sway you to quit/avoid drugs? I don't think much bar a very traumatic personal event would have much of an effect on most users.

Stick it to the man! Actually my high school PE teacher didn't take the 'just say no' approach and instead presented the (basic) facts and told us to beware of the dangers. It was pretty obvious that half the school had already tried weed by then.

"ahhh that brings back fond memories .. Doesn't it though.. remember sitting in health class while the teacher tought you about the horrible dangers of all the illicit drugs, thinking "why would anyone take things that are so bad for you that don't do anything good at all"? HaHAHAHAHAHAHAH"

I remember thinking that in year 9 and 10, then it kind of became a bit redundant after that...

What would it take to stop me using drugs? Probably a complete cessation of the avaliability of nearly everything.