• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Safe drugs? Is there even such a thing?

Bluelighter
I know there is no such thing as an absolute safe drug. But what are the names of the drugs generally considered to be quite safe?

Drugs with least side effects, both physically and mentally. (This also includes a near-impossible OD.)

I'd say weed is probably the safest drug that produces a high that I have encountered.

Last edited:
Define 'safe'. There are drugs that are easy to overdose on (opiates, GHB, alcohol), drugs that induce a mindset/intoxication that can be very dangerous to interact with certain aspects of the world from (alcohol, GHB, benzodiazepines, ketamine, PCP, DXM, nitrous oxide, psychedelics), drugs that can be toxic to your brain or body (PCP, amphetamines, MDMA, PMA, alcohol, steroids, Demerol, cocaine), drugs that instigate psychotic episodes or encourage sleep deprivation to the point of psychosis (amphetamines, psychedelics), drugs that are physically or mentally extremely addictive (cocaine, amphetamines, opiates, alcohol, benzodiazepines, ketamine, GHB), etc.

Personally I consider all drugs except alcohol, PCP, and methamphetamine to be harmless when used recreationally in a responsible manner.

900 said:
I know there is no such thing as an absolute safe drug. But what are the names of the drugs generally considered to be quite safe?

No drug is generally considered to be "quite safe".

ketamine is safe to use in a safe environment. depends how exactly do you define safe drugs?

sn0wburt0n said:
ketamine is safe to use in a safe environment. depends how exactly do you define safe drugs?

I was gonna say. little chance of ODing on K. but it does mess with your brain. this is true for most psychedellics. LSD and shrooms wont kill you or give you heart or kidney or liver problems, but it might make you a little more eccentric if you know what i mean

ecstasy by itself is very safe, but it can cause speech pathology problems

no drug has no negative side effects, but i would say of the most common rec drugs, these are the safest

It's got to be pot. No chance of OD, pretty impossible to make yourself sick, no hangover, it's not addictive, doesn't screw with your liver, and it won't make you a zombie. Not great for your lungs, but comparatively speaking, it's pretty safe no matter how you look at it.

ecstasy by itself is very safe, but it can cause speech pathology problems

Isnt MDMA a known neurotoxin? meaning its NOT very safe by itself?
Im pretty sure you can run into more problems than "speech pathology" with MDMA use.

At the risk of getting too technical - you can't determine the safety of any activity without also considering the characteristics of the person doing the activity, and the environment in which said activity takes place.

It's interesting to compare risks of other common human activities to drug taking:

Attachments

• Risk of Death from Various Recreational Drugs.doc
    44.5 KB · Views: 275
Chaya said:
It's got to be pot. No chance of OD, pretty impossible to make yourself sick, no hangover, it's not addictive, doesn't screw with your liver, and it won't make you a zombie. Not great for your lungs, but comparatively speaking, it's pretty safe no matter how you look at it.

everything is subjective. i know lots of people that get quite sick from only 2-3 puffs on a joint, myself included. i also get high levels of paranoia which are extremely unenjoyable and i certainly wouldnt say i feel safe when stoned

Heroin is safe.
Cocaine is safe.
Methamphetamine is safe.
Sleeping pills are safe.
Marijuana is safe.
LSD is safe.
Shrooms are safe.
Ecstasy is safe.

Just watch out for Alcohol and Cigarettes.

hmm

pot isn't safe', it makes me teeths hurt :(

and ketamine is defently NOT SAFE, I had about 6 months love affair with the drug and afterwords I was dumb as a door knob. Is a miracle I was able to pass my university exams.

I would say acid has the least side effects. But this stuff changes you.

I'd have to say Benzodiazapine drugs, ie: Diazepam, Clonazepam, Temazepam, etc... now, when I say safe, I don't mean there's no consequences. It's quite easy to get up to violent behaviour whilst under the influence and do foolish things you'll regret later. And the potential addiction and withdrawal you could experience is definitely far from safe. What I'm trying to say is, that in-order to completely die from Benzos alone is quite rare, they usually have a pretty high LD50.

Then of course, there comes the obvious, Cannabis.

In a nutshell though, no psychoactive is completely "safe". Unfortunately.

Diacetylus said:
I'd have to say Benzodiazapine drugs, ie: Diazepam, Clonazepam, Temazepam, etc... now, when I say safe, I don't mean there's no consequences. It's quite easy to get up to violent behaviour whilst under the influence and do foolish things you'll regret later. And the potential addiction and withdrawal you could experience is definitely far from safe. What I'm trying to say is, that in-order to completely die from Benzos alone is quite rare, they usually have a pretty high LD50.

Then of course, there comes the obvious, Cannabis.

In a nutshell though, no psychoactive is completely "safe". Unfortunately.
LSD's LD50 is 1000s of times the standard dose.

thesean001 said:
Isnt MDMA a known neurotoxin? meaning its NOT very safe by itself?
Im pretty sure you can run into more problems than "speech pathology" with MDMA use.

neurotoxicity is really the only thing you should be too worried about with long term ecstasy use. dehydration, hyponutremia, and kidney failure can occur, but not if you take the right precautions. the chances of you having a heart attack or liver failure and becoming sick or die are very slim

ketamine is safe for the same reasons. it causes olney's legions, although the extent of brain damage is debatable. for more info see this thread http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=262775

but the dosage responsible for respiratory arrest on K is like 50 times the amount you need to get high. again, not cardiotoxic and wont lead to organ failure. thats what i mean by relatively safe

i mean if we really want to get technical then weed could be considered dangerous to people with a family history of scizophrenia

Chaya said:

Well then you would be wrong.

I for examp[le find that it is easily the worst drug I have ever tried and just a few puffs will destroy me in a very unpleasant way.

Good side lasts ten minutes and from there its down hill to paranoia, violent vomitting and the most horid expoerience I could imagine.

It should also be noted that it is addictive.

I would porobably put my money on Nos to be honest..........unless u are stupid enough to get hold of a big bottle and close the windows in the car before opening the bottle up.

Chaya said:

"Pretty impossible to make yourself sick"? I have not smoked it much, because almost everytime I do, I become nauseous. The smoke smells and tastes nice, but that's about the only positive thing I can say about it.

That it's not addictive doesn't seem to be correct either. Not that I have been close to becoming addicted myself, but others sure seem to have developed a need for it.