• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Please help me, Dark Siders! (Meds FAQ)

indelibleface

Bluelight Crew
Great idea!

I was thinking, since results with these antidepressants are so subjective and vary wildly depending on the person, it might be nice to include two or three short testimonials per drug -- perhaps a few good and bad experiences so people can see the range of effects as told by the individuals. What do you think?

^maybe a mod could link the experiences under each drug, like the recipe thread in SO. the first post serves as an index to the rest of the thread

^^Don't forget tiagabine (Gabitril) and pregabalin (Lyrica) if you're discussing gabapentin. ;)

As I'm sure most of you have noticed, I've started a psychiatric medication FAQ which has been stickied at the top of the forum. Obviously, trying to cover all the pertinent information on every psychiatric drug is a pretty big task, and I'd like to enlist all of you to help me. If you see any mistakes or have any info for me to add, or if there is a way you think I could improve it, please let me know either in this thread or by PM (mods, if you would rather this thread just be closed right away, that's fine - I just want to get the word out). As we all know, these medications sometimes have some crazy effects, and I'd like to make sure that that kind of stuff is covered for each chemical. So if you've had some side effects or unusual experiences that I haven't covered, let me know! Or if you're using any of these drugs to treat a condition I haven't listed, or if you know of a drug I haven't listed, or if you know drug interactions I haven't listed, etc etc etc :)

Thanks in advance. :):):)

awesome thread kitty! isn't seroquel also an antipsychotic? though widely used more for insomnia....

edit, nvm, i saw it after rereading it again, sorry!!

i have a question, you can address it in the ssri section if true...my doc told me that insomnia on ssri's is a sign of bipolar disorder? do you know anything about that? tia

I was thinking you could give a mention to the drugs used to treat certain addictions

Nalaxone- alcoholism
Methadone- opiate addiction
Subutex- opiate addiction
Bupropion- general stimulant addiction (My doc told me anyway)

Theres probably more. My apologies if you already had this in mind.

I Love Candy Bracelets! Enough With Useless Threads Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a good thing, I personally know fuck all about psych meds so it is potentially a good resourse for me.

zophen

might be better if you place a link to teh thread, I know its at the top but I can be lazy or daft

We know but so what so am I regarding lots of things.

zophen

Jeez, I had no idea that these drugs can be so detrimental....

I take Lexapro 20 mg, Klonopins 1.5 mg, Xanax 1 mg, Neurontin 1800 mg & Methadone 90 mg. This is on a daily basis. I have depression, anxiety attacks, & spinal stenosis, from a work-related back injury.

I also have coronary artery disease, which I'm prescribed Toprol XL 100 mg & Ismo [time-released nitro] 120 mg.

Now all these docs supposedly know all my medications, but I'm now wondering how closely monitored these Rx's are....or if the docs are just prescribing without taking into consideration all my medicines.
This really blows!!

^ Ah squidhead I much preferred your old avatar man go on switch it back.
Hows you doing anyway old timer???

zophen

squidhead said:
Jeez, I had no idea that these drugs can be so detrimental....

I take Lexapro 20 mg, Klonopins 1.5 mg, Xanax 1 mg, Neurontin 1800 mg & Methadone 90 mg. This is on a daily basis. I have depression, anxiety attacks, & spinal stenosis, from a work-related back injury.

I also have coronary artery disease, which I'm prescribed Toprol XL 100 mg & Ismo [time-released nitro] 120 mg.

Now all these docs supposedly know all my medications, but I'm now wondering how closely monitored these Rx's are....or if the docs are just prescribing without taking into consideration all my medicines.
This really blows!!
The only thing about your medication regimen that I would question is the use of two benzos instead of just one (I'd stick with Klonopin and drop the Xanax, or just use xanax for acute panic attacks at a 0.5-1 mg dose), and the combination of Lexapro and methadone (the two can interact, but you're on reasonable doses of both, so there shouldn't really be a problem). I'd ask your doctors about both those things though. Neurontin doesn't have interaction problems with very many chemicals, and the Toprol isn't too bad either. Just make sure to stay away from Tagamet (cimetidine) and cocaine without your doctor's knowledge, and don't go on Paxil.

great thread, i just don't understand why it's in The Dark Side?

Because it's trying to draw attention to the thread linked above regarding psych meds. I for one know sweet fuck all about psych meds so if some random person comes on saying "ooh the doctor gave me ********** what side effects can I expect (apart from advising them to read the label) I /whoever can go to that thread and read the info therein or direct the OP to that thread.

zophen

US Brand Name: Risperdal

Other Brand Names: Neripros (Indonesia), Noprenia (Indonesia), Risperdal Consta (United Kingom; Ireland; New Zealand), Rispid (India), Rizodal(Indonesia), Tractal (Colombia), Zofredal (Indonesia)

Generic Name: risperidone

Other Forms: Orally disintegrating tablets. Oral solution (tastes horrible and cannot be chased by colas or teas). Intramuscular injection.

Class: Antipsychotic, specifically an atypical antipsychotic.

FDA Approved Use: Psychosis. Schizophrenia. - Approved 1993. Bipolar Disorder - December 2003

Off-Label Uses: Autistic Spectrum Disorders and Pervasive Developmental Disorders in children and adults (Risperdal has been submitted to be approved as the first medication officially approved to treat autism). There are more studies for kids, of course. Many more. You get the picture. Also - Augmenting SSRIs to treat OCD. Augmenting SSRIs to treat major depression. Treating Tourette's syndrome (but watch out for depression and dysphoria). Stuttering. Panic/Anxiety.

What is the most important information I should know about risperidone?
-Contact your doctor immediately if you experience fever, sweating, severe muscle stiffness (rigidity), confusion, fast or irregular heart beat. These could be symptoms of a potentially fatal side effect called Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (NMS).
-Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Risperidone may cause dizziness or drowsiness. If you experience dizziness or drowsiness, avoid these activities.
-Avoid alcohol or use it with caution. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness while taking risperidone.
-Avoid becoming overheated in hot weather and during exercise. Risperidone may increase the risk of heat stroke.
-Do not mix the liquid form of risperidone with cola or tea.

Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you have:
-had a heart attack, low blood pressure, an irregular heart-beat, or any other type of heart disease; epilepsy or another seizure disorder (or a history of this); diabetes; ever been diagnosed with breast cancer; liver disease; or kidney disease.
-Hyperglycemia (increased blood sugar) has been reported in patients treated with atypical antipsychotics including risperidone. Talk to your doctor if you experience any signs of hyperglycemia including excessive thirst, frequent urination, excessive hunger or weakness.
-The risperidone (Risperdal) orally-disintegrating tablets contain phenylalanine.
-Risperidone is in the FDA pregnancy category C. This means that it is not known whether risperidone will be harmful to an unborn baby. Do not take risperidone without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or could become pregnant during treatment. It is not known whether risperidone passes into breast milk. Do not take risperidone without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.

What are the possible side effects of risperidone?
-Contact your doctor immediately if you experience fever, sweating, severe muscle stiffness (rigidity), confusion, fast or irregular heart beat. These could be symptoms of a potentially fatal side effect called Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (NMS).
-If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking risperidone and seek emergency medical treatment or contact your doctor immediately: an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives); uncontrollable movements of the tongue, face, lips, arms, or legs; muscle spasms of the face or neck; severe restlessness or tremor; severe drowsiness or fainting; or irregular or very fast heartbeat.
Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take risperidone and talk to your doctor if you experience mild restlessness, drowsiness, or tremor; insomnia; blurred vision; dizziness or headache;nausea; or weight gain.

What other drugs will affect risperidone?
-Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following medicines: carbamazepine (Tegretol); clozapine (Clozaril); medicines used to treat Parkinson's Disease such as levodopa (Dopar, Larodopa, Sinemet, Atamet, others), bromocriptine (Parlodel, others), pergolide (Permax), pramipexole (Mirapex), or ropinirole (Requip), or any medicine used to lower blood pressure.
-Risperidone may increase the effects of other drugs that cause drowsiness, including antidepressants, alcohol, antihistamines, sedatives (used to treat insomnia), pain relievers, anxiety medicines, and muscle relaxants. Tell your doctor about all medicines that you are taking, and do not take any medicine without first talking to your doctor.

this info is taken from drug.com and crazymeds.org

Last edited: