Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Seperating Pills

surfie_boi

Bluelighter
I'v always wondered, would there be a possible way of seperating the MDxx substances and amphetamines substances from a pill so that you could be left with the pure product???
Or would it be imposible? Because there are always so many different chemicals in each different pill, and if you used one chemical to substract the mdma from one pill that same substance could reuin a totally different pill.

please use the search engine, been disscussed many times - key word "cold water"

:/

Because there are always so many different chemicals in each different pill, and if you used one chemical to substract the mdma from one pill that same substance could reuin a totally different pill.

Not normally. Tablets usually contain binder/s (e.g. MCC, corn starch, etc) which are fairly insoluble in water. This is done to avoid the tablet absorbing water and becoming crumbly/ mushy. Some pills however, do contain other inactives which are soluble, in which case they would be harder to remove using just water.

Amphetamine salts including MDMA are water soluble. If there is only one active present that is soluble in water, and the binders aren't, then an extraction should be pretty straight forward. It's when meth, MDMA, ketamine, caffeine etc, are present in combination that it becomes tricky.

If say a pill did contain 2 active ingredients, both of which were soluble in water, then other solvents or combinations of solvents may be used. Various techniques can be employed which make use of individual solubility properties. E.g. compound x is slightly soluble in water, compound y is very soluble. As a higher temperature usually increases solubility, sometimes cooling the water first can result in only compound y readily dissolving, while the other less soluble compound does not, or only slightly dissolves.

As mentioned by mike0, there are many threads that discuss this. Do a forum search, perhaps also using terms; extraction, recrystallization, solvent etc. and if you can, find a copy of the "Merck Index" or the "CRC handbook of Chemistry & Physics" (both publications contain solubility data). These are available in e-book version, the former also as a torrent.

I have done this many many times and the results are unbeleivable. Though this was back in the UK where pills were much cheaper.

I used hot Isopropyl alcohol and it works fine. But you really do have to find the strongest, and most importantly very CLEAN pills first. Make sure they are MDMA beforehand by testing and consuming.

1.) Bash pills up in pestle and mortar. I once did it with a hundred and ended up with a couple of grams.

2.) Heat up some IPA in a pan or microwave. Ensure you have some extra as it does evaporate very quickly.

3.) Add the minimum amount of hot IPA to fully cover the pill dust and a little bit more and then stir. It might look grey and skanky at this point.

3.) Pour the hot liquid mess through a coffee filter paper over a tea strainer collecting the liquid in a saucer.

4.) Pour some more hot IPA over the strained mess in the filter, wait for it to drip through and then using the back of a spoon force all the liquid you can out of the filter paper.

Leave the liquid that has dripped through to evaporate on a saucer. Scrape off with a knife and stick in an empty capsule.

It might prove to be expensive in but the difference is really astonishing. Dont ask me why but they used to get me SO battered and I used to like giving them to randoms in a club and see them 30 mins later smashed and bouncing off the walls! haha.

You are just so loved up its mental. I had been wanting to do this for ages and then finally did it and my mates were spannered.

I know this all sounds very ghetto but it does work. Like I said I have done this many times.

But the most important step is finding very strong pills that are very clean and although its very difficult to confirm that the pills you have are only MDMA and binder, the cleaner the pill the better the result as other crap doesn't get dissolved in the solvent either.

If you can get crystal MDMA then you probably wouldn't bother as its cheaper and better but in Australia the cost fo the pills may be too expensive to do this regularly. But if your feeling flush and can get decent pills then go for it.

Let me know how the results go. Its a totally different kind of buzz!

Misterwize2 said:
I have done this many many times and the results are unbeleivable. Though this was back in the UK where pills were much cheaper.

I used hot Isopropyl alcohol and it works fine. But you really do have to find the strongest, and most importantly very CLEAN pills first. Make sure they are MDMA beforehand by testing and consuming.

1.) Bash pills up in pestle and mortar. I once did it with a hundred and ended up with a couple of grams.

2.) Heat up some IPA in a pan or microwave. Ensure you have some extra as it does evaporate very quickly.

3.) Add the minimum amount of hot IPA to fully cover the pill dust and a little bit more and then stir. It might look grey and skanky at this point.

3.) Pour the hot liquid mess through a coffee filter paper over a tea strainer collecting the liquid in a saucer.

4.) Pour some more hot IPA over the strained mess in the filter, wait for it to drip through and then using the back of a spoon force all the liquid you can out of the filter paper.

Leave the liquid that has dripped through to evaporate on a saucer. Scrape off with a knife and stick in an empty capsule.

It might prove to be expensive in but the difference is really astonishing. Dont ask me why but they used to get me SO battered and I used to like giving them to randoms in a club and see them 30 mins later smashed and bouncing off the walls! haha.

You are just so loved up its mental. I had been wanting to do this for ages and then finally did it and my mates were spannered.

I know this all sounds very ghetto but it does work. Like I said I have done this many times.

But the most important step is finding very strong pills that are very clean and although its very difficult to confirm that the pills you have are only MDMA and binder, the cleaner the pill the better the result as other crap doesn't get dissolved in the solvent either.

If you can get crystal MDMA then you probably wouldn't bother as its cheaper and better but in Australia the cost fo the pills may be too expensive to do this regularly. But if your feeling flush and can get decent pills then go for it.

Let me know how the results go. Its a totally different kind of buzz!

I tried this last night and all the resulted was a sticky mess..... I know its not the pills, as i first tried it with just cold water and that resulted in powder. Maybe the heat is dissolving some of the binders..... Anyway, itll be funny to see if the sticky stuff is still active, just have to find a guinea pig...

I would have suggested a warm water extraction followed by warm/hot isopropanol.

From the above report, it appears that by using the alcohol first, some of the binders have also dissolved. Most pill ingredients other than the active compounds should be relatively insoluble in water. From the Merck index, best results in crystallising the MDMA extract will be obtained using either a mixture of isopropanol/ ether or isopropanol/ n- hexane

phase_dancer said:
I would have suggested a warm water extraction followed by warm/hot isopropanol.

From the above report, it appears that by using the alcohol first, some of the binders have also dissolved. Most pill ingredients other than the active compounds should be relatively insoluble in water. From the Merck index, best results in crystallising the MDMA extract will be obtained using either a mixture of isopropanol/ ether or isopropanol/ n- hexane

A couple of days on it looks like it is starting to dry up, still very sticky in some places. I just used isopropanol from the supermarket, it says 70% or thereabouts. Would it be beneficial finding a higher grade product?

When you say a warm water extraction followed by hot isopropanol, do you mean evaporate the water then dissolve whats left in the isopropanol then evaporate again?

One more question, is there any simple way of telling how pure the MDMA crystals are? Im not after a number or anything, the product from my first try is pretty much snow white, and looks like little bits of glass. Should i worry about purifying further, or does it sound like it will do the job fine?

And thanks to phase dancer for all your replies to topics like this over the years, people like you are a godsend:D

Thats the problem. I was using 99% isopropol alcohol and it always worked fine. I suspect that the water in the alcohol is making a sticky mess of something in the pills.

I cant speak for Phase dancers suggestion but whenever I have done it using 99% IPA then I have never had any trouble. Whats left behind is mainly binder and tastes of very little. Whilst the reserved stuff tastes rank.

At the end of the day you've not added anything to the pill mix so it will be fine to take - but try and dry it out. Maybe even try to dry it out on a VERY low oven on aplate for a few minutes and check regularly. That may help.

Sorry I should have made that clear in my description. I hope its not cost you too much but as long as you have reserved both sections then you still have your MDMA in there.

Please let me know how it ends up......

if you used 100 pills and got 2 grams thats 20mg of mdma in each pill, those must have been some weak ass pills!

Yeah, I am confident that it will work out ok, it looks much better than a couple of days ago. After i first noticed it was sticky i rinsed with water and filtered again, and there was a heap of icky stuff in the filter, no idea what it was. Both times I tried i tasted the pill gunk after it had dried, and it wasnt bitter at all, so I guess all the good stuff got through the filter. Ill try hunt some 99% isopropanol down, where did you buy yours? I still have a few more pills to play with, so it will be interesting to see what happens if i try the 99% IPA route.

Ill keep this thread updated as i go along. I cant believe i hadnt thought of it before... goodbye mediocre pills hello molly8o

A couple of days on it looks like it is starting to dry up, still very sticky in some places. I just used isopropanol from the supermarket, it says 70% or thereabouts. Would it be beneficial finding a higher grade product?

For the final crystallisation, the water present in 70% isopropyl alcohol would probably mean it won't form nice large crystals as with one of the two solvent methods mentioned above. It should still work ok, particularly for extraction purposes, as mdma is soluble in alcohol and water - although degrees of solubility in each would vary slightly.

As isopropyl alcohol will dissolve some slightly polar substances, methanol would probably be best for extraction. With that logic, ethanol would be next best, then n-propanol followed by isopropanol. (n-propanol has a linear 3 cabon chain). As the chain of the alcohol increase, branches etc, it will dissolve more of the less polar substances present.

When you say a warm water extraction followed by hot isopropanol, do you mean evaporate the water then dissolve whats left in the isopropanol then evaporate again?

Yes

One more question, is there any simple way of telling how pure the MDMA crystals are? Im not after a number or anything, the product from my first try is pretty much snow white, and looks like little bits of glass.

You can get a rough idea by recrystallising from the 2 solvents mentioned and then measuring the melting point range. A heat source, a test tube and a thermometer can serve as a measuring instrument if a melting block isn't available. From the Merck, pure MDMA should melt at 147 -148 deg C if crystallised from iso/n-hexane, and 152-153 deg C if crystallized from Iso/ether. A less pure substance will generally melt at a lower temperature often also over a broader range. If you don't have access to diethyl ether or hexane, just assume a pure product formed with only isopropanol will melt at slightly lower than the lowest temp (147 deg C) and over a 2-6 deg C range.

Should i worry about purifying further, or does it sound like it will do the job fine?

I'm a bit concerned that you have a gluggy mixture, so I'd suspect there's something else still in your product.

A sample of pure mdma should dissolve fairly readily in warm water (use only a few mLs / gram)

It isnt gluggy anymore. At first it was sortve oily, after most the isopropanol evaporated. After a day or so a few crystals started appearing amongst the sludge. It seems the crystals are spreading, i guess more of the isopropanol is evaporating. I know its mdma because ive tested it, and i licked the plate of the first experiement, and got a little loved up... Maybe i will try an isopropanol wash of the crystals that i have, and see if there is a weight difference.

If i have time on the weekend i will try again with a better solvent.
Really appreciate the help guys!

Last edited:
Be careful about admitting to possession of illicit substances and what your doing here on a public message board. This could look like something a lot more serious than possession if the boys in blue knocked on the door.

^Absolutely. As I've mentioned many times, washing, extracting etc may result a cleaner product, which is certainly likely to be better for your health, but such practices are certainly dangerous in other ways. To some boys in blue it might look like you're merely cleaning the products for personal use, but to others, you might appear as the final processor - doing the last part of a synthesis.

Please think carefully about this and if you decide to do this again please don't use weights to reflect success or otherwise. Percentage yield is far better - actual quantities need not be mentioned at all.

Renji...just some questions...I am assuming the pills you used quite clean? would u rate them mdma high?I mean if they had both speed and mdma in them...that wouldnt really work right? because speed and mdma are hard to extract from each other? Secondly..how many pills did u start with? sorry if youve already mentioned this, mustve missed it, let us know how the final product goes, ive always been interested in this procedure!

Gaz, im quite certain that the pills i have are clean. Theyve come up tops using a reagent tester. I dont think they are mdma high, i have actually only tried them once myself, with pretty poor results. But that same day i had my fare share of illicit substances, so i think that had an effect on the night. I had a couple but had no trouble falling asleep, so i doubt there is any speed. I used a few pills in the extraction, but there isnt a minimum or anything.

I personally have no idea about separating mdma from speed. I know it can be done, but unless you have any experience in chemistry, it will probably come across as impossible. The extraction will still work, but there is a few more steps until you get pure mdma. Do a search for mdma extraction, there are about 3-4 other threads on the same topic. Just look for phase_dancer's replies, he certainly knows what he is talking about, unlike myself.

hey yeah just read up about mdma extraction...separating mdma and speed is more involved as they are both salts.

With the quantity of pills to start with...i guess if i were to use clean pills with average mdma content of 80mg...of course accomodating for some product lost , maybe could get few hundred mg from about 6 or 7 pills, so guess its not a huge amt to experiment with....sorry just thinking out loud here!

this is a great thread!

When I mentioned that I had got a "couple of grams" it was a mere guess and accept that I had underestimated the true amount.

They were actually very decent pills but very crumbly and had been bashed around a bit.

But I assure you it works nevertheless.

I used to get my IPA from electronic shops that cater for electronics enthusiasts. I believe it was used to help clean electronics boards but was 99%.

The end result always had a grey appearance to it and it never formed crystals so to say but it was strong and ultra clean.

I think a more thorough A/B extraction, wash and recrystallisation would be better option but obviously more complicated.