Skyline_GTR

Bluelight Crew
Hotels `mask' drug deals

Sellers can avoid detection, police say
Gives them high-roller credibility

Jul. 5, 2006
CURTIS RUSH AND BETSY POWELL
STAFF REPORTERS

When large-scale drug dealers want to move product, it's not uncommon for them to do it in a luxury hotel under the noses of staff and other guests, police said yesterday in the wake of a shooting during an apparent drug rip-off at the Westin Harbour Castle.

Following the Monday night shooting, police seized four kilograms of cocaine which, if sold intact, could generate $200,000, but three times that amount if they "grammed it out" for street sale, said Det. Sgt. Larry Cowley of the Toronto police drug squad.

The coke was stashed in the "ice room" on the 28th floor of the hotel, police say.

Three people, including the wounded man and two associates, were charged yesterday with drug offences. The gunman and firearm have not been located. "We don't know who they are," Cowley said.

According to police, shortly after 9 p.m. a 36-year-old man was shot three times in the hallway of the hotel's 28th floor. The victim was discovered moments later in an elevator which stopped on the 16th floor of the waterfront hotel, located on Queens Quay near Yonge St.

He was taken to St. Michael's Hospital where he was treated for a bullet wound in the stomach and two in the thigh. He is expected to recover.

Police allege the scenario that unfolded was this: A man with four kilos of cocaine to sell arranged to meet a potential client. The "money" guy showed up without the cash needed to buy the drugs and he tried to rip off the dealer. "That's our theory," said Cowley.

Hotel guests checking out yesterday morning knew there had been some sort of emergency Monday night but didn't know what had happened.

The night before, several P.A. announcements had warned of an "emergency" and told guests to stay in their rooms.

"I thought it was a fire," said Angela Blanton, of Dallas, Texas, who said she heard at least three announcements. She peeked into the hallway on the 32nd floor and saw nothing. She also tried to phone the front desk, but nobody was answering.

She became worried for her boyfriend and their 3-year-old daughter.

Blanton said there was no "all clear" given by the hotel, so guests were left to wonder what was happening.

"When I woke up this morning, I said to myself, `Well, we made it.'"

While it may seem like an odd place for a drug deal, Cowley said a luxury hotel setting creates the appearance of a legitimate business transaction.

"It's a way of camouflaging themselves, really. Instead of doing the deal in the middle of crack city in downtown or a bad housing area, they do it in an upscale hotel."

Besides, police officers, who may keep an eye "on low-end motels, crack hotels ... don't often go to these (luxury) hotels and check out who's hanging around."

Dope peddlers — and buyers — also like to come across as "high rollers" who are trying to establish their reputation and credibility.

A luxury hotel "also gives them protection, so they don't have to do it at their own residence so the person they're dealing with doesn't know where the other person lives."

It's also a way to avoid being in a room that's bugged, or using phones that are wiretapped.

David Ogilvie, Harbour Castle's general manager, said "The hotel is back to normal operations."

"The hotel is totally safe and this could have happened anywhere."

The Harbour Castle has 24-hour security on staff and cameras throughout the building.

Outside the hotel yesterday morning, guests were in good spirits and even joking about the incident.

"I had just been saying how safe Toronto is," said one man who was here with his family from Rochester. "When I saw the commotion, I thought, `Oh, my God.'" He laughed as he recounted the feeling.

"This wouldn't surprise me if it happened in Dallas," Blanton said of her hometown. "But I heard Toronto was safe."

Sean Erez, 36, of Quebec, who was the shooting victim, Nataly Abitan, 27, of Quebec, and Evgene Starchik, 22, of British Columbia, are all charged with possession of cocaine for the purpose of trafficking and possession of cocaine. Their court appearances are scheduled for this morning.

Link

All this hoopla over nothing, drug deals in hotels ? OMG bring on the army! :p

Depsite the emphasis on drugs in the article, I suspect the hoopla revolves more around the shooting than the actual drug deals. When people pay hundreds a night for a hotel room, they don't expect gunfights in the hallways.

Skyline_GTR said:
According to police, shortly after 9 p.m. a 36-year-old man was shot three times in the hallway of the hotel's 28th floor. The victim was discovered moments later in an elevator which stopped on the 16th floor of the waterfront hotel, located on Queens Quay near Yonge St.

having the elevator door open to a man who had been shot reminds me of die hard (i think that's the movie where the guy is dressed up as santa claus and someone shoots him in an elevator?) i watched that movie when i was eight or nine, and that scene scared the shit out of me.

Skyline_GTR said:
Dope peddlers — and buyers — also like to come across as "high rollers" who are trying to establish their reputation and credibility.

priceless but true.

"I had just been saying how safe Toronto is," said one man who was here with his family from Rochester

This man obviously doesn't read our news. We had shooting counts last year that rivaled some of the worst states. =(

is this a fucking joke?

they just now realized people do this...

hell ya, its really great tipping the bell boy to bring up your "baggage" of multiple kilos...you get the money at another location, give the room key and hotel location and voila.

seller touched nothing.

dopefiend said:
"I had just been saying how safe Toronto is," said one man who was here with his family from Rochester

This man obviously doesn't read our news. We had shooting counts last year that rivaled some of the worst states. =(

Huh ? WTF are you talking about, 85 shootings in all of 2005 in the City, that's probably less than a daily tally in most US cities.

yea dude toronto IS probally hard for canada but i haven spent time there and here in ATLANTA, violence is practically non-existent in toronto.

seriously tho, this is NEW info? i thought most high quantity deals were done like this.