Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

New Italian government dismantles 'Zero tolerance' on drugs

Skyline_GTR

Bluelight Crew
'Zero tolerance' on drugs ends

The Times
28 June 2006

Boosted by its overwhelming victory in the referendum on devolution, the centre-left Italian Government of Romano Prodi has moved to dismantle another legacy of the Berlusconi era by overturning its “zero tolerance” drugs policy.

The change will restore the distinction between “hard” and “soft” drugs and increase the amount of cannabis a person can possess without being arrested as a suspected dealer.

During its first month in power the Centre Left has reversed the policies of Silvio Berlusconi’s five-year administration on issues from Iraq to infrastructure projects. Livia Turco, the Minister of Health and a member of the ex-Communist Democrats of the Left, said that she would act immediately on the amount of cannabis permitted, which did not require parliamentary approval.

Daniela Santanche, of the Alleanza Nazionale, said the move would “send a terrible message to young people that drug use is OK”.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-2246342.html

wow. a liberal government - and fucking righteously liberal at that! i'm impressed. being from america, that sort of thing sounds like i could only dream of it in a book or something. awesome man.. even if its small steps.. the world's changing.

damn. even italy? hmmmmmmmmmmm maybe my prediction over the course of the next 15 years might be correct.

The U.S. is most likely getting a liberal president after the continuing travesty of Bush's conservative reign. Perhaps things will get a little better.

I am so sick of hearing about the "it will send a bad msg for the young ppl" argument.

Psychedelics_r_best said:
The U.S. is most likely getting a liberal president after the continuing travesty of Bush's conservative reign. Perhaps things will get a little better.
that wont matter cause the house an the senate will still be conservative so nothing will change.

I really doubt America will get much better soon, but possibly gradually. But at the same time, things considered terrorism will go way up, and you will probably see a lot of people behind bars for things that really shouldn't be 'domestic terrorism'.