• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Advertiser - 28/06/2006 'Sniff test drug dogs on patrol' (ADELAIDE)

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Sniff test drug dogs on patrol
SAM RICHES
28 Jun 2006

SNIFFER dogs are being trained to detect drugs on nightclub patrons in the city's streets.

The labradors are being trained as passive alert dogs, detecting drugs on people and alerting their handlers, who, with flagged new State Government legislation, will be able to search suspected offenders without a warrant.

That is the latest move in a crackdown on illicit drug use at Adelaide nightclubs and licensed premises.

As training of the dogs continues, the State Government is looking at changing existing legislation to enable the dogs to be used in conducting the searches legally without the use of a warrant.

In the same manner as Customs dogs detect drugs in airports - sitting when there is a detection - SA Police is training dogs for use in the city and could use them on public transport and at sporting grounds and entertainment venues.

Three Passive Alert Drug Detection labradors are being trained for general detection by police instructors from NSW.

Police Minister Paul Holloway said yesterday interstate operations with the PADD dogs were being "closely monitored".

The dogs and their handlers are half-way through a 10-week training course. The Advertiser understands SA Police legal experts are investigating the ramifications of using the general detection dogs.

A spokeswoman said yesterday it was "too early" to comment on the training. "We will not be making any comment at this stage for operational reasons," she said.

It follows Government-ordered reviews interstate into the use of PADD dogs in similar circumstances after arguments that their use - without probable cause or reasonable suspicion to search for drugs as legally required - infringes on the rights of individuals.

Mr Holloway confirmed the legislation was being reviewed.

"We fully support initiatives that will lead to the reduction of illicit narcotics on South Australian streets," he said.

NSW introduced the Drug Dogs Act to combat findings raised when a magistrate found a dog's sniffing of a man carrying drugs constituted an illegal search because it "had not been performed with reasonable suspicion".

Police sources have told The Advertiser the dogs most likely will be used to walk city streets and check nightclub queues.

From The Advertiser

Some related reading on sniffer dogs from ADD:
Sniffer Dogs - What they actually find! (Sydney Morning Herald)
NEWS: Sniffer dogs to patrol clubs (Melb)
Concealing Pills From Dogs
Sniffer Dogs at upcoming rave

^^ It's underway... this morning @ the station in the city they had about 3 or 4 police officers and 2 dogs... black labradors... and they were walking one of them through the crowd as they got off our train... and another just after the turnstiles to get out of the station...

Kind of freaked me out a bit with them walking RIGHT past me... I was thinking "dont sit, dont sit!" hehe... I wasn't carrying anything with me... but I was just thinking if there were any tiny traces of anything left anywhere on items of clothing/bags that I have maybe they'd detect that? Or would they need a little more than that to bother?

For example - if I had a pill (or a bit of meth) and then got on the train... that would have possibly left some traces on my fingers... or if I had previously had a bag of meth in my bag (with no more than a gram in the baggie) but it was taken out... sometimes those meth smells linger... but I am not actually carrying any drugs... would the dogs still possibly detect something?

I shouldn't really let it worry me too much if I don't have anything on me... I have nothing to hide... but it does concern me that if I have had a very small amount of drugs on me in the past, that it still might be detectable by these dogs...

What do people think? Anybody else seen them over here in SA recently?

^^ Hey I wouldn't freak out too much about sniffer dogs finding traces of drugs on you. Apparantly they have fairly low success rates and alot of false positives. Pretty sure I read that in a newspaper recently.

yeah... cheers for that... it's such a new thing to actually SEE it right before you (haven't ever really been anywhere where dogs have been used) so it's a bit unsettling!

I lost whatever respect I've ever had for sniffer dogs when one sniffed my finger which was covered in a visible layer of crushed up powder and did nothing. I was massively paranoid, it was quite a mission to get the pills out of my 'hidden' pocket and into my mouth :D

I would like to know what level of search the police conduct on you if the dog indicates the presence of drugs.

Drug sniffer dogs on patrol in city
By SAM RICHES
19 Jul 2006

MORNING commuters at Adelaide Railway Station were yesterday greeted by new drug-sniffing dogs on a training run.

The Passive Alert Detector dogs are in the latter stages of intensive training before being used to patrol city streets and premises in the hunt for illegal drugs.

The three labradors, trained at Thebarton by NSW police instructors, work in a similar way to Customs dogs at airports, sitting down when narcotics are detected.

Six weeks into a 10-week program, the dogs are doing "extremely well" and should start working by the end of August.

Senior Sergeant Peter Cheesman, officer in charge of the Dog Operations Unit, said the animals had passed all tests.

"They are new and innovative for SA . . . everything is in place to go. Now we just want to go out and find the drug dealers," he said.

Initial training focused on "imprinting" the scent of numerous drugs and their derivatives.

Through the same process, the unit is also able to respond quickly to any new drug hitting the streets.

"We imprinted several drugs commonly used and if there's some new designer drug that comes on the market, we can start working on that. It doesn't take long," Sen-Sgt Cheesman said.

After imprinting and practice working with people, the dogs are trained for patrols in buildings, cars, public transport and at sporting and entertainment events.

The dogs will be used as requested by police local service areas in line with intelligence and for specific operations.

Labradors are used for their compact size and good temperament and Sen-Sgt Cheesman said they posed no threat to the public.

"If they happen to be wandering Rundle Mall or Hindley St, the public don't need to be concerned they are going be harassed, bitten or knocked over," he said.

From The Advertiser

lil angel15 said:
I would like to know what level of search the police conduct on you if the dog indicates the presence of drugs.

Post I made a while ago on police searches

I think that the legal groundwork is there for police to perform as invasive a search as they desire after a dog picks you out; strip, full-body or cavity... but it comes down to the discretion of the officers involved. In some cases you might get a light search/pat-down, in others depending on what they think of you, they might go all the way.

Cheers hoptis.

I would imagine unless they were real pricks or had suspicion you were carrying a decent quantity it would simply be a pat down.

haha I'm getting so paranoid about this... but if they detected something on you and after a pat-down and search through your bag... or even a strip... finding nothing on you - say they asked if you'd been in the presence of drugs (like in the same room as pot smokers)... they wouldn't have any right to drug test you would they? because it's not like they're conducting drug-driving tests...

...wouldn't surprise me though if it came to that, someday... :\

^^^^^^^
I know this is a little off tangent but I'm hoping people will know where I'm coming from. I was always of the understanding that administer a drug of dependence could only be used if you administered a drug to someone else, not yourself. I didn't think there was an actual charge for using drugs.

^ yeah that's what I would think... unless you were 'under the influence' when driving a vehicle... or whatever... and were seen to be a threat to others because you were inebriated... then they really can't say or do anything...

I would think the only time they'd test you is if you were a threat to the public... as in becoming violent on the train/bus or at the station or resisting the police in a threatening/violent manner...