Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News: Jamie Oliver calls Melbourne 'drug plagued' 25/06/06

Miss Peks

Bluelight Crew
Jamie Oliver calls Melbourne 'drug plagued'
By FIONA HUDSON in London, and CARLY CRAWFORD
25jun06

GLOBE-TROTTING celebrity chef Jamie Oliver has described Melbourne as one of the most drug-plagued cities in the world.

In an exclusive interview with the Sunday Herald Sun, the English chef unleashed a broadside on the city's drug-addled underbelly.

Oliver revealed that the shock of seeing young drug addicts shooting up in St Kilda swayed him to choose Australia for his latest restaurant project.

"I've been loads of places, right, and Melbourne is the only place I have ever seen multiple kids jacking up on the street," Oliver said.

"Don't get me wrong, every city has its light and shade, but you do have your share of shade."

But Melbourne's city fathers have rejected Oliver's appraisal, saying the city's reputation for food attracted him here.

Fifteen Melbourne, a franchise of the flagship London restaurant where Oliver has for five years trained down-and-out kids as chefs, will open in September.

The venture is Oliver's first outside Europe.

"Most of our staff come from prison or drugs or alcohol," he said. "I think we're going to have a harder time with drugs in Melbourne than anywhere before."

City of Port Phillip mayor Janet Bolitho said Oliver's claims were out of touch.

"The drug problem is not as acute as it was a few years ago, but that's not to say there are not issues with youth disengagement," Cr Bolitho said.

She said the council had established a training program for at-risk youths.

Melbourne City Council preferred to believe the city's reputation for good food had attracted the world-famous chef.

"With over 800 restaurants and cafes in the CBD alone, Melbourne is the dining capital of Australia, so it's obvious why Jamie Oliver chose this city to open his restaurant later this year," Community Services Committee chair Cr David Wilson said.

A Victorian Government spokesperson welcomed Oliver to the state, saying his venture would help those in need.

David Crosbie, CEO of Victorian drug rehabilitation centre Odyssey House, agreed alienated young people were using drugs in "very devastating ways".

"The reality is they are using drugs openly, injecting in public, and we should be doing something about that," he said.

Youth worker Les Twentyman said providing young people with skilled work was a step in the right direction.

"It all goes back to unemployment. If young people have a job they have a sense of identity and they can pay the rent," he said.

Cameras will follow Oliver during his September visit for a documentary series about the birth of the Melbourne restaurant.

Oliver will perform several live shows in Sydney and Melbourne during his two-week stay.

And he hopes to take up an offer of a cameo appearance on TV series Neighbours.

"I might just do it for a laugh. I'm hoping the cast of Neighbours might come down to the restaurant. I'm a bit of a fan," he said.

The pukka tukka inventor also wants to see an AFL match.

"Lads running around in camp shorts beating the crap out of each other. It's a helluva game," he said.

The selection of 20 disadvantaged trainees from more than 2000 applications for the restaurant continues this week.

Director and head chef Tobie Puttock said interviews so far had been jaw-dropping.

"It's cemented my feeling there's a real need for something like this in Melbourne," he said.
I'm not quite sure what to make of this as I haven't been in Melbourne since February last year. I'd like to hear other peoples thoughts about what exactly is happening down there atm in relation to any drug epidemic that might be going on atm (still meth I assume?). To be honest though I live in a not so good part of London (it's got a bit of a bad repuation), and I've only had 2 occasions in the past year and a half where I've seen people smoking crack at the train station. In Melbourne I used to see shooting up happen a little more often than that, but perhaps I was desensitised to it? Anyway, so what do you all think about Jamie's opinion on this?

Interesting.......i've been a melbourne boy for a long time now, and i certainly don't disagree that there is a bit of a problem with "hard drugs" in melbourne, which is particularly evident in certain inner city areas around Collingwood, Richmond & St. kilda (to name just a few)......but i'm sure if you hung around King's Cross in Sydney for any considerable time you'd see a similar epidemic.

But alas, i think it's great that Jamie Oliver wants to come down here and help those in need, namely the homeless and drug-addicted......i respect him a lot and think he does great work.

pekkie said:
I'm not quite sure what to make of this as I haven't been in Melbourne since February last year. I'd like to hear other peoples thoughts about what exactly is happening down there atm in relation to any drug epidemic that might be going on atm (still meth I assume?). To be honest though I live in a not so good part of London (it's got a bit of a bad repuation), and I've only had 2 occasions in the past year and a half where I've seen people smoking crack at the train station. In Melbourne I used to see shooting up happen a little more often than that, but perhaps I was desensitised to it? Anyway, so what do you all think about Jamie's opinion on this?

You want to know what I think? I think it was merely a case of Jamie being in ST. Kilda where an isolated incident was occuring. I'm not saying there's no drug usage in the St. Kilda district, but it has definitely been cleaned up alot there over the past 10+ years or so.

I used to live in Prahran and I would drive around the Grey St. areas every day after work, just to see if there was any "action" (it's a huge hotspot for prostitutes, and no I wasn't there as a customer, I was just merely interested and liked looking) and while there would be, especially in the summer, an abundance of prostitutes loitering in the side streets, not once did I ever see anyone shooting up or taking drugs out in the open like that.

Even in about 8 years of going out and about to clubs in that area and taking the backstreets home, it was only once I had saw a prostitute injecting God knows what in her vein.
So, as I said before, simply an isolated incident, imo.

Diacetylus said:
You want to know what I think? I think it was merely a case of Jamie being in ST. Kilda where an isolated incident was occuring. I'm not saying there's no drug usage in the St. Kilda district, but it has definitely been cleaned up alot there over the past 10+ years or so.

I think so too, he's just happened across a group of kids shooting up - which I imagine he doesn't get to see a lot of, on most of his sheltered promotional tours - and it's made enough of an impact on him that he's decided to mention it to the media, who've then seized on the comment and sensationalised it (as media do).

Really when you read the article he's not trying to put down Melbourne, just using that as an example of why his restaurant is needed here. And it is. I think it's a terrific thing - anything which gets kids working and off the street is great, no matter how you look at it. I know Jamie's not perfect, he's become a bit of a "celeb" and can be a little full of his own self-importance, but I believe he has his heart in the right place with this project and it's a great idea.

I say welcome.

Hospitality industry is riddled with drug abuse... jesus christ, everyone i know who works in hosp is on amphets constantly.

i spent a 1.5 years working on fitzroy street and it has its good and bad days. there was a period in the lead up to the commonwealth games where everytime i walked past 7/11 there was someone asking if i was chasing. around the same time i saw a couple of used needles around and 2 people shoot up. the rest of the time i worked in the area i saw next to nothing. you are garuanteed to see lots of people out of it in st kilda but very rarely people in the process of using.

i definately agree about the hospitality being riddled with drugs, especially nightclub workers and chefs. i have seen chefs doing lines of coke off cooking surfaces in kitchens! having said that zaineaol.nu you must know a very small group of hospitality workers if they are all on amphetamines all the time, the drug of choice by far in the industry is alcohol.

^ True.. Alcohol is by far the most abused drug in the hospitality industry. It seems the younger chefs/trainees are always on the goey though.

"It all goes back to unemployment. If young people have a job they have a sense of identity and they can pay the rent," he said.

I'm really struggling with this attitude... I have an extremely hard time getting/keeping work, (no, not because of drugs, i only ever trip occasionally these days) and its OTHER ppls need for me to have a job that ruins my sense of identity...

THEM - "So, what do you do?"

ME - "well, I produce psytrance, I take care of my ethnobotanical collection and I organise doofs. Oh, and I'm involved with a couple of harm-minimisation groups"

THEM - "yeah, but, like, you know, what work do you do?"

fuck. I don't even get the dole, I eat once a day (if that), and you hold it against ME that i'm not functional in YOUR society? FUCK OFF.

I can understand kids wanting to just shoot meth or harry all day. Our society offers very little for certain personality types. :(

Shit eh? lets dance!:)

Any city of a certain magnitude is theoretically "drug plagued". You just have to know where to look. It sounds like Mr Oliver knows where to look ;)

Actually that is so cheap coming from him, after living in london years back... But then again I guess there is a difference with 'rhubarb and custard', than 'mainlining' lol.. He's just pissed cos there are so many nice cities in Australia and one being melbourne (reminds me of wellington, very similiar in trend, food, people, culture, drug scene). Mind you it is easy to 'chase' there, hehe, fond memories.. Seems like jamies advertising himself, to open bigger doors...

as i said before, - i highly doubt alcohol is abused by chefs nearly as much as amphetamines. Most hospitality workers i know are either waiting staff, kitchenhands or chefs. Generally its to help them work the hard hours - split shifts and the like. I've found dexamphetamine to be abused quite a bit more than meth. Put it in pill form and you got a winner ;)

Yeah, no doubt jamie is a druggo - rich, british and bleh - all signs point to COKE

GABAlover said:
I think he a bit of a drama queen sometimes. Good bloke though

Yer, I agree. I always found his segments of cooking on television highly entertaining and informative. For someone who is a little "saucepan-shy" such as myself, he always made it easy to follow and remember crucial steps in what he was cooking.
Good sense of humour too!

Dont know about the melb streets but i will say

I agree with zaineaol, there is alot of players in the hospitality ind. on the go, and piss i guess.

PHucken junky chefs 8( , the ones that gas-on and don't smoke are fuck heads, too angry.

-Dishy

A smart PR manoeuvre by Mr Oliver.

giantsquid said:
heaps of drugs in melbourne

wow great input..

Anyway I agree with the thought of it being a one off kind of incident. There is no doubt that drugs are a problem in Melbourne.. or Sydney.. or Brisbane, drugs are a problem everywhere they exist. And theres no way they are 'worse' in Melbourne then in London.