• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Endo Receives FDA Approval for Opana(R) ER (oxymorphone HCl) Tablets Opana

jerkoff27

Bluelighter
Endo Receives FDA Approval for Opana(R) ER (oxymorphone HCl) Extended-Release and Opana(R) (oxymorphone HCl) Immediate Release Tablets CII
New Oral Opioid Analgesics Soon to Become Commercially Available in the U.S.
CHADDS FORD, Pa., June 23 /PRNewswire/ -- Endo Pharmaceuticals Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Endo Pharmaceuticals Holdings Inc. (Nasdaq: ENDP), today announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted final approval of the company's New Drug Applications (NDAs) for its extended- release and immediate-release formulations of oxymorphone hydrochloride. These products are now known under the trade names Opana(R) ER tablets and Opana(R) tablets.

A new oral extended-release opioid analgesic option for patients, Opana(R) ER is indicated for the relief of moderate-to-severe pain in patients requiring continuous, around-the-clock opioid treatment for an extended period of time and is not intended to be used on an as-needed basis. This is the first time oxymorphone will be available in an oral, extended-release formulation. Opana(R) ER will be available in 5mg, 10mg, 20mg and 40mg tablets. Opana(R) (the immediate release version) is indicated for the relief of moderate-to-severe acute pain where the use of an opioid is appropriate and will be available in 5mg and 10mg tablets. Both products are expected to be commercially available in the U.S. in the coming weeks. Endo also plans to re- launch its oxymorphone hydrochloride injection under the new trade name in the hospital setting.

Peter A. Lankau, President and Chief Executive Officer, said, "We are pleased with the approval of Opana(R) ER and Opana(R), which represent Endo's first internally developed NDAs to be granted FDA approval. The clinical program for Opana(R) ER and Opana(R) represents one of the most comprehensive ever conducted for an opioid analgesic, with more than 15 clinical trials enrolling over 3,000 patients. Further, Endo is very excited to be able to provide physicians and patients with these important new options for pain management."

Lankau added, "As a market leader in pain management, Endo is committed to the appropriate use of opioids, and we have worked closely with the FDA and external consultants to develop a program that gives health care providers and patients essential information and guidance on responsible opioid use."

Opana(R) ER will compete in the market for long-acting, strong opioid analgesics, a $3.2 billion market in 2005. Its clinical profile demonstrates it can be dosed consistently on a twice-daily basis and is well-tolerated when titrated effectively. Opana(R) ER has also demonstrated maintenance of effective pain control at a stable dose over the three-month period of the pivotal clinical trials, which the company believes highlights the durability of its analgesic effect. Experts agree that patients suffering from moderate- to-severe chronic pain which is present much or all of the day need around- the-clock coverage with an analgesic agent to sustain pain relief. Opana(R) ER utilizes a patented delivery system that was specifically developed to provide continuous delivery of medication over a 12-hour period, helping patients maintain a steady level of pain relief. Opana(R) ER and Opana(R) were both formulated using oxymorphone hydrochloride, which had been available only as an injectable formulation. Both products have been proven to achieve effective relief in multiple moderate-to-severe pain models, in both opioid- naïve and opioid-experienced patients.

"The availability of Opana(R) ER is great news for physicians as it adds to the arsenal of chronic pain management tools," said Richard Rauck, M.D., Clinical Associate Professor in the Department of Anesthesiology at Wake Forest University School of Medicine and Medical Director of the Center for Clinical Research in Winston-Salem, N.C. "Not only is the active ingredient in Opana(R) ER one of the most extensively studied oral opioids in a clinical development program, its proven dosing every 12 hours can provide durable, lasting relief. Additionally, physicians may need to rotate opioids to effectively manage a patient's chronic pain, maintaining an acceptable balance between pain relief and side-effects."

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=123046&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=875617&highlight=

Oh man if these hit the streets, forget heroin, oc and fentanyl this will def be the new Oxycontin. 40 mg ER oxymorphone lol that could prob knock out a horse if there was a way to break the ER

it makes me wonder what took so long....numorphan has been around for a while and didnt seemed to be widely used in hospitals and the like, but i guess orally they think it will have a chance to take a piece of the market

ya def i first found out about it thru some news site where they were interviewing the endo pharm. president and ceo, and they guy was like what is stopping this drug from being like oxycontin the 'hillbilly heroin' then they cut to a scene where the pharmacist was counting like 20-30 80mg's hah....the ceo gave some bullshit answer like tracking prescriptions and prescribing it to people that will benefit from it hah..

My family doc. just gave me opana 10's. I was getting oxy 40's from my pain spec.she cut me off when she found out about the opana. hope I like the opana if not I am screwed

opana vs. fentanyl ir & er

jerkoff27 said:
Oh man if these hit the streets, forget heroin, oc and fentanyl this will def be the new Oxycontin. 40 mg ER oxymorphone lol that could prob knock out a horse if there was a way to break the ER

IHO, oxymorphone doesn't touch fentanyl breakthrough medications. Fentora 100mcg=100mg of oxymorphone. Also to be fair, I think opana er is a very good long acting pain med, but I would still take the fentanyl patches 100mcg vs. the opana er40mg. Also opana er is far more expensive than the generic patches.