Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: $15mil Ecstasy Cartel BUSTED!

Special-T.B.K

Bluelighter
Police make $15m ecstasy haul in Sydney
Thursday Jun 22 09:08 AEST

Police say they have cracked a major ecstasy syndicate, seizing up to $15 million worth of the drug in raids across eastern Sydney.

At least 250,000 tablets, or 55kg, of ecstasy were seized during raids this week at Coogee, Maroubra and Zetland.

Police minister Carl Scully said several people had been arrested, and the leaders of the syndicate had allegedly been caught.

"(Through) a very very substantial sting ... a drug cartel has now been broken up," Mr Scully told Macquarie Radio.

The tablets have an estimated street value of between $12.5 million and $15 million.

Two tablet presses and a large sum of cash were also seized, said a spokeswoman for Police Commissioner Ken Moroney.

Two men had been arrested and were before the courts, she said.

©AAP 2006

SpecTBK=D

Raids net $15m ecstasy haul
June 22, 2006

POLICE say they have cracked a key ecstasy syndicate, after seizing up to $15 million worth of the drug in raids across eastern Sydney.

About 250,000 tablets, 18 kilograms of MDMA, the powder used to make the drug, and two pill pressers have been confiscated during a series of drug raids at the weekend.

About $100,000 in cash was also seized, police said.

A 32-year-old Coogee man and a 42-year-old Bondi Junction man were arrested as officers attached to the NSW Police Special Crime Unit and NSW Crime Commission pounced on properties at Coogee, Bondi Junction and Zetland.

The men face court next month on several drug charges.

New South Wales Police Commissioner Ken Moroney today said the tablets had a street value of $12.5 million and the powder was worth $2.5 million.

He said the raids disrupted a major drug operation in Sydney's eastern suburbs.

"What we have uncovered here are those who, clearly, are prepared to trade in death and injury to people within the community," Mr Moroney said.

"These drugs are sometimes euphemistically ... referred to as recreational drugs, (but) there is nothing recreational about being dead.

"There is nothing recreational about being injured by way of mental health problems or other associated health problems.

"These are not recreational drugs."

NSW Police Minister Carl Scully said the arrests sent a strong message to those involved in the illegal manufacture of drugs.

"I am delighted with this result and wish to pay tribute to the professionalism of the police involved,'' Mr Scully said.

"Drugs are a scourge on our society. This result sends out a tough message to those who peddle misery - your criminal behaviour will not be tolerated."

From News.com.au

Only posted this out of exasperation at the amount of lame rhethoric in this article, where the hell do NSW police and police minister get their lines?

"...there is nothing recreational about being dead."

"Drugs are a scourge on our society..."

8)

I'd love to get a look at the pill press dies they had been using. What a shame they got caught.

Them cops would probably sell it back on the streets. With an estimated street value in the millions, I am sure they cannot resist.

On ABC news this morning the reporter added:

"this will clearly increase the street price of xtc in Sydney putting out of reach of most in the community" =D AHAHAHAHAHAH

Yeah right! gotta love the news reporters! 8)

Only posted this out of exasperation at the amount of lame rhethoric in this article, where the hell do NSW police and police minister get their lines?

"...there is nothing recreational about being dead."

"Drugs are a scourge on our society..."

Yeah, thank god for the cops, they saved us from the the wicked "Scourge" of happy pills!

Special-T.B.K said:
Police make $15m ecstasy haul in Sydney
Thursday Jun 22 09:08 AEST

Police say they have cracked a major ecstasy syndicate, seizing up to $15 million worth of the drug in raids across eastern Sydney.

At least 250,000 tablets, or 55kg, of ecstasy were seized during raids this week at Coogee, Maroubra and Zetland.

$15 Milllion????

Are they working their prices out at $60 a pill these days or is my math out?

NSW Police Service said:
NSW Police Smash Major Drug Operation and Seize Ecstasy Worth $15 Million

22 June 2006

NSW Police have broken a major drug operation, seizing more than $15 million worth of ecstasy and a six-figure sum of cash.

Police today unveiled the results of a series of raids on five properties in Sydney’s east, which were the culmination of an intensive covert operation.

Officers seized about 250,000 ecstasy tablets, weighing 55 kilos.

The massive ecstasy haul has an estimated street value of $12.5 million.

Also seized were 18 kilograms of methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA), the powder used to make ecstasy tablets, valued at $2.5 million.

Two pill presses - used by organised gangs to manufacture tablets - were also confiscated.

The raids occurred last weekend on properties located at Coogee, Bondi Junction and Zetland.

A 32-year-old Coogee man and 42-year-old Bondi Junction man will appear at Central Local Court on July 17 charged with a number of drug related offences.

The arrests and seizures were the result of Operation Lanyard, conducted by a joint task force comprising officers from the NSW Police Special Crime Unit and the NSW Crime Commission.

Commissioner of Police Ken Moroney said the raids followed intelligence received by police, surveillance and a detailed investigation.

”We have disrupted a major organised crime group involved in the large scale manufacture and supply of drugs for the Sydney market,” Commissioner Moroney said.

“Investigations are continuing to identify others involved in this illicit operation.

“We will continue to use all lawful means at our disposal to eradicate illicit drugs from our society and to identify, investigate and prosecute those criminals who trade in death and harm in the community.”

Commissioner Moroney said the joint agency approach to tackling organised crime, proved to be an outstanding combination and praised the efforts of his officers.

Minister for Police, Carl Scully commended the police who worked on the case

“This is a major success by NSW Police,” Mr Scully said.

“Their tireless efforts have produced a tremendous result.

“I am delighted with this result and wish to pay tribute to the professionalism of the police involved.

“Drugs are a scourge on our society. This result sends out a tough message to those who peddle misery – your criminal behaviour will not be tolerated.”

Editor’s Note: Photos will we be available later today on request from the Police Media Unit

Even with this new information that it was not only 250,000 pills but 18kg of powder it still works out at approx. $45 a pill, assuming the powder was ready for the presses.

250000/55 = 4545.45
4545.45*18 = 81818.18
81818.18+250000= 331818.18
15000000/331818.18 = Approx $45

Last edited:
Stupid media. This was not a drug 'cartel'. Cartels fix prices and control the majority of a trade in a given area. These guys didn't do either. Its a lot of pills, but it isnt a huge blow to the drug trade.

Meh, I'm just being anal.

Cosmonaut said:
its worked out in cumulative terms, not the last sale in the chain;)

if that is the case that still doesn't make any sense. cause price is only raised continuously through the chain to cover original costs. if a car dealership buys a car for $15,000 and sells it to you new for $40,000 it doesn't mean the car has a value of $55,000.

drancer said:
Them cops would probably sell it back on the streets. With an estimated street value in the millions, I am sure they cannot resist.

About 20 or 30 years ago this would have been the case, but not so much now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's no corrupt cops out there in the AFP. But, from what I've heard "evidence storage" have very stringent surveillance these days.

It's usually the small-time seizures the cops sell back out onto the streets anyways. It's still not unheard of, officers confiscating a 1.7 of smack from a prostitute or street level dealer and giving them a "warning" and nothing later gets heard of it. At-least it pays off for both parties. :\

Preme213 said:
if that is the case that still doesn't make any sense. cause price is only raised continuously through the chain to cover original costs. if a car dealership buys a car for $15,000 and sells it to you new for $40,000 it doesn't mean the car has a value of $55,000.

They estimate the profit made on each transaction and sum them all because that is how much money would not have been circulating if the "drug ring" did not exist in the first place.
They're not interested in how much the drug is worth if sold on individual basis, its the total value added that counts.

Cosmonaut said:
They estimate the profit made on each transaction and sum them all because that is how much money would not have been circulating if the "drug ring" did not exist in the first place.
They're not interested in how much the drug is worth if sold on individual basis, its the total value added that counts.

This sounds like a load of shit to me. It just doesnt make sense to work it out this way as no one knows how many hands it passes through before it hits the end user.

Have you any way of backing up this statement?

WE all know it doesn't make alot of sense too calculate it this way. We are just trying to explain how they calculate price not why. Don't shoot the messenger.

pill_jockey said:
WE all know it doesn't make alot of sense too calculate it this way. We are just trying to explain how they calculate price not why. Don't shoot the messenger.

I have never heard of it being calculated this way. Thats why I was asking if Cosmo could reference his information.

"Police used intelligence-based policing and investigative techniques to establish the potential street value of drugs on the street," says a spokeswoman for the NSW Police (which is police code for we're not telling you).
She says estimated street values given at the time of seizure are only rough figures based on average cost. Until the police test the purity of the drugs, they cannot give an exact value.
As with other luxury goods, high-quality drugs have a greater street value.
The street value of drugs is also generally calculated every three or six months, she says.

http://radar.smh.com.au/archives/2005/05/short_cuts_2.html

Cosmonaut said:

That might be true, but the article specifically states 'street value'. :)

Umm who cares how much the Police say it was worth.
55kg should tell you that it was a fuck-tonne of pills.

Ken Maroney our ever so fuckin gracious leader assumes (and said in the press confrence) that their intelligence and other agencies suspect that these pills would retail from anywhere between $50 and $80...

Obviously they have no fuckin idea...

If anyone listened to "hack" on JJJ this afternoon, there was a good segment on this bust...

Mr Moroney seems to be quite clueless when it comes to the issue...

While also listening to the segment, it said if you get caught with (please corrent me if wrong) 7.5g of pills on you, that is known as "supply of illicit substance". Hack tried to do some maths, thats about 3-5 pills...

O well, i guess thats a few pills we wont be seeing anytime soon

or will we ;)

I wonder what the police force do with 250,000 pills

have a holiday???
yeah right...

o yeah, and that cash they found... that was burnt also :\