Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

"Hoyts" brand poppy seeds

qwerty123

Bluelighter
Does anyone have any experience with the "Hoyts" brand of poppy seeds, as in making tea?

Can anyone suggests preferred brands etc..

Yeah ive used hoyts before. They were the only brand at the supermarket i went to. To be honest i dont think its worth your time and energy making poppy seed tea. I bought a few 100gm packets, took them home, made the tea and drank it. You have to drink a fair bit of foul tasting liquid and the effect is like taking a couple of nurofens.

Yeah back to your question, hoyts is the only brand ive seen but i imagine if you find another brand their wont be a difference in your tea.

You do need a LOT of tea. Do NOT boil the seeds but rather put them in warm water and let them seep there for a few hours.

Do a Google...Im sure your find something.

You can mask the taste with lots of honey, Lemon and Ginger!!!

They contain up to 250 ug/gram of morphine although this can vary from almost none to the value mentioned above. If your new to Opiates be very careful, I ended up with a very large habit requiring medical treatment. Im still on a substantial daily dose of buperenorphine and its been almost a year since I sought treatment.

The first time I did it I had 300 grams washed, when I stopped I was taking around 2 kg washed per day. Doing the maths on that's a max of 1/2 gram of morphine per day orally. The danger lies in the fact that due to the huge variance in strength you could take your normal amount of seed tea and end up with double or triple the dose you expected. This can obviously end in opiate overdose.

Never happened to me but it sure would not be pleasant if you survived it.

EDIT: I can provide a reference for the values mentioned if people are sceptical.

Last edited:
Ive had seeds a few times in the past, and I'd have to agree with mongman about the variance in strength. The first time I just "tested the water" with around 170g of seeds, and felt sweet fuck all. The next time I got the same brand, same amount and was planning on doin an extraction on 340g. However, having already read about the huge variance, I decided against this and instead only used 170g again. This time the effects felt to be atleast twice as strong, felt nauseaus unless I was laying down not moving. It reminded me of high doses of codeine or tramadol, though not as enjoyable due to the more apparent nausea.

I've read seeds obtained from the poppies in Tasmania are lower in morphine and higher in (something less enjoyable with more nausea, cant remember the name atm). Seeds obtained from internationally are said to be higher in morphine content.

^^thebaine is the opiod you are thinking of. Thebaine is also toxic in high doses but most seeds dont contain enough thebaine to cause significant harm, but still be wary.

I have never even tried this before, I think I might try it tonight.

OK, but please read my post....

Regarding Thebaine; Tasmanian poppy growers grow two varieties, one has been genetically engineered to contain HUGE amounts of thebaine. The advantage of this lies in an easier synthesis route to Oxycontin and other novel semi-synthetic opiates. Shorter means cheaper too clearly. Im not sure if you would notice it to begin with but seed's have a variety of alkaloids in them and feel very different to pharmaceutical morphine, codeine, pethadine, buperenorphine, methodone and more. They also contain allot of fats and oils in the seeds that you will consume, these may not harm you but every day use may very well be damaging Im not sure. It was suggested by a doctor this may be the case. Take care.

Also be aware that if you are caught with a set-up used to make tea or in the process the police could easily do you in for some type of intent to manufacture..

pete gasparino: That was a great post, very thorough analysis of how the alkaloids in poppy seeds have effected you and your comments on harm reduction are spot on in my opinion.

I'm happy to say I can elaborate further on your findings..

According to a CSIRO study on the genetic alterations on P. Somniferum (called 'top1'), it contains significant amounts of thebaine and oripavine. These have been used since 1998 to produce buprenorphine, oxycodone, naloxone and naltrexone.
-[Morphine Free Mutant Poppies: Novel plants make pharmaceutical starter - Susan Milius]
-I attached a photo of a normal poppy containing morphine and a top1, there is a remarkable difference in appearance.

I have also read references on the internet and from doctors that Thebaine seems to have stimulant type properties. I have theorised with my doctor about depression, and opiate use. There have been studies done on Opiates effects on the dopamine system and they have found small doses of some opiates can reduce depression. Thebaine has a much different method of action than morphine and not much research has gone into its medicinal effects as far as I have read. I have to say though that my experience (3 years every day..) was that I could sleep for up to 17 hours after dosing heavily. This seems almost the opposite of your experience (50% of the time). This I find very interesting considering the family traits you refer to.

My doctor was the head of a University health service with many year experience and many degree's. He was amazed by my knowledge of what I was consuming and did some research before suggesting a course of action. He also found references to the 250 ug/g figure and couldn't find another doctor willing to treat me, he said most of them would be afraid I would drop dead from what I was taking:
( 100 ug Clonodine / day) - treatment
(10 mg Diazepam / day) - treatment
(1/2 g Morphine / day) - reducing during treatment
(unknown amount of codiene)
(unknown amount of thebaine)
(1/2 bottle of spirits / day)
(600 mg paracetamol / day)

This is not something I'm proud of and I only post it to alert people reading this to be aware of the track this substance can take you down in some circumstances. I was doing a thesis at the same time and 3 other 4th year classes. Strangely unlike some types of drug abuse opiates didn't effect my intelligence, I got a Distinction and was asked to publish my paper.

wonderful thread. very useful info, however i have a question.

for those who are experienced in poppy seed tea in brisbane, what have you found are the best brands? or more specifically, what should i look for when purchasing them?

i am not asking for sources, just tips on what to look for.

thanx :D

Good posts mongman and pete, even though I never stumbled into into opiate addiction, I was not far off, I used hydromophone pretty heavy for short period of couple of months. I just realised what the heck I was doing to myself before I stopped, took bit of willpower and enegery and motivation to move interstate/other city/etc.

For anyone thats doing a search I recently made some tea from the hoyts brand of seeds. Im have no tollerance and for reference a CWE of 384g of codeine (final result prob only 300 ish) made me almost pass out and lose my involuntary breathing.

I used 300g and did 2 washes with lemon juice and some orange juice about 1 hour apart. Gave me a buzz similar to 120mg of codeine only it lasted all day, about 4 hours.

Did it again today with 600g same method and two washes, feels like about 200g of codeine minus the itches and much much cleaner feeling. Still going now about 4 hours later. Id say the seeds must have already been washed as most people are betting much better buzzes off less however they are still worth trying. Ill be giving it a rest now for at least a month.

Good luck.

'the effect is like taking a couple of nurofens' thats the stupidest thing i've ever read your either not making your tea right or you dont know what your talking about. hoyts brand are fine to use. be careful though its very bad for your kidneys so dont overindulge!