Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Mercury - 19/06/2006 'Think outside square on drugs, urges Kerr'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Think outside square on drugs, urges Kerr
PHILIPPA DUNCAN
19 Jun 2006

TASMANIA should consider a safe injecting room, tests for "party drugs" and a needle exchange at Risdon Prison, says Denison Labor MHR Duncan Kerr.

Mr Kerr believes Australia could tackle its drug problem "a lot better" and has called for public debate on alternative approaches focusing on harm minimisation.

"Drug use is common and we need sensible strategies to minimise the harm," he said.

Mr Kerr said governments spent too much money -- more than 85 per cent of their drug commitment -- on law enforcement and punishment and too little on treatment, education and harm minimisation programs.

"We need to think outside the square," he said.

"All the evidence is that law enforcement has made little impact on the street availability of drugs.

"Well over one million Australians are using amphetamines. We're not going to fit them all in jail.

"We want law enforcement targeted on drug importers and manufacturers."

This week is Drug Action Week and the perfect time for some "much-needed sensible" debate, says Mr Kerr.

The politician and lawyer is part of the Australian Parliamentary Group for Drug Law Reform, a group of 100 politicians of all colours who are pushing for a new approach to drugs.

"The current worrying trend in Australia to adopt US-style zero-tolerance policies will only produce more problems," he said.

Mr Kerr said there were not enough programs for drug users in Tasmania and a prison term would not overcome a person's drug addiction.

"Jails are places where dangerous drug use is very common," he said.

Mr Kerr said he would support a safe injecting room in Tasmania, like the nation's only one at Kings Cross, but was not sure there was the "volume" of demand to support one.

He is also a cautious supporter of testing for "party drugs" at nightspots, but would like to see the tests improve to identify "any nasties" contained in the pills.

"Then they can plan and manage the use of the drug," he said.

Mr Kerr said alcohol and tobacco should not be forgotten in the debate as they caused the greatest health, social and economic harm of all drugs.

"It's nonsense to think they are safe," he said.

"The biggest problem with young kids at the moment is binge drinking."

Education programs needed to highlight the link between mental illness and drug use.

"Tell young people that it's a problem, that it's a real risk," Mr Kerr said.

He said more than 4.5 million Australians had used illicit drugs.

From The Mercury

wow, i had no idea Mr Kerr was a somewhat intelligent politician.
and he's in my state :)
i might send him a congratulatory email.

Wow this guy is a life-long friend of my father, my respect for him has just increased 100%

Duncan Kerr was on the AOSD inquiry, and to be honest was one of the very few who asked any serious questions.

Kerr has a very interesting history in Aus politics. He was Attorney General in 1993, and minister of Justice from 93-96.

http://www.duncankerr.com/bio.php

I agree with JB. If the whole AOSD committee comprised of people with similar thinking, then sensible reform would likely be just around the corner.

Yes His Right! Drugs Are Counter Intuitive And We Must Deal With Them Even If They Seem Bad, Or Dangerous.