• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

neurontin ?

ghostbuster

Bluelighter
did a search but still didnt really find enough info about this drug. what does it feel like? how does it effect sleep? any real recreational uses?

thanks for any info.

The pill itself doesnt really have much recreational use.. thats all I know because I have taken over 3g of the stuff with no results of anything besides a weird drugged feeling. It is also called Gabapentin.

Thorz said:
The pill itself doesnt really have much recreational use.. thats all I know because I have taken over 3g of the stuff with no results of anything besides a weird drugged feeling. It is also called Gabapentin.

I have to disagree with ya there... Gabapentin(neurontin) can be real nice sometimes. 900mg+ will give a nice heavy drunk/stoned type high, only better. Me and my friends who've used it all agree it is a nice recreational drug. Makes me do stupid things, some euphoria, bump into door frames, talk shite etc etc.... Thats recreational to me... 8) =D

As weebl said though, it becomes the best drug in the world if you take it on a MDMA comedown... That cracked out nasty comedown disapears within an hour after takin the Gabapentin and you feel cosy stoned/drunk.
It'll make you hungry as fuck aswell and able to eat a full meal no probs. Anyone who does E's should know what eating is like after a night of pill munching.. hehe

So GhostBuster mate, if you've got some Gabapentin, throw 900mg at least down your neck and enjoy... %)

im bumping this..as ghostbuster is my friend and this is sounding more and more like something i want to try.

lionstarmike, just take 400-800mg and see how you like it
It had 0 negative side effects for me. None whatsoever. I enjoyed the relaxation it gave me and then finally sleep :)

"Gabapentin is best known under the brand name Neurontin manufactured by Pfizer subsidiary Parke-Davis. In December 2004, FDA granted final approval to a generic equivalent to Neurontin made by Israeli firm Teva. Neurontin is one of Pfizer’s best selling drugs, and was one of the 50 most prescribed drugs in the United States in 2003. However, in recent years Pfizer has come under heavy criticism for its marketing of Neurontin, facing allegations that behind the scenes Parke-Davis marketed the drug for at least a dozen supposed uses for which the drug had not been FDA approved. By some estimates, so-called off-label prescriptions account for roughly 90% of Neurontin sales[1]. While off-label prescriptions are common for a number of drugs and are perfectly legal (if not always appropriate), marketing of off-label uses of a drug is strictly illegal. In 2004, Pfizer agreed to pay $430 million in fines for the illegal marketing of Neurontin for off-label purposes, and further legal action is pending. However, Pfizer maintains that the illegal activity originated in 1996, well before it accquired Parke-Davis (through its aquisition of Warner-Labmert) in 2000."

It supposedly potentiates benzos and opiates. It's also prescribed for tapering benzo withdrawal.

"What isn't Neurontin used for? It's the late-20th century's most successful snake oil!" (a derogatory term for medicines to imply that they are fake, fraudulent, and usually ineffective. The expression is also applied metaphorically to any product with exaggerated marketing but questionable or unverifiable quality)

"Monotherapy Treatment for Epilepsy (used all by its lonesome). Bipolar Disorder - basically useful only if bad anxiety or substance abuse is also present, or nothing else has worked. And then usually only as an add-on med. Migraines. Neuropathic pain. Depression. PTSD. Alcoholism (one study has it working well on mild-to-moderate alcohol withdrawal, another showed it to be insignificant for acute withdrawal). Anxiety (including panic and social phobia, but Parke-Davis' data are suspect, and public speaking). Sleep Disorders. Restless Leg Syndrome/PLMS, MS, Chronic Fatigue. Menopausal Symptoms. Treating HIV/AIDS-related Neuropathy. Phantom Limb Pain. Cocaine Abuse. And probably a bunch of stuff I don't even know about. Sometimes it's quite useful in these applications, sometimes it's prescribed first just because it's an anticonvulsant with a very low side effect profile and doctors are sick and tired of people whining about how medication sensitive they are."

Last edited:
has anyone taken it therapeutically for bipolar disorder? my doctor mentioned it when i said i might want to switch from lamictal to some other mood stabilizer. i had heard the same thing that tomeyto posted....that neurontin is not necessarily effective as a mood stabilizer but that the pharmaceutical company pushed for its off label use as one. i definitely don't want to be constantly 'drunk/stoned feeling,' 'euphoric,' 'running into walls,' etc (although that has its time and place;) )

so what have people's experiences been? what side effects have people gotten?

Neurontin is a bit useless. It gives no effects, and only have a few uses (epilepsy, neuropathic pain).
But now, it's been replaced by Lyrica which is a much better med, for recreational and therapeutic use.

i'm going to bump this bc i am still wondering about my above questions re: therapeutic use.

rashandreflex said:
i'm going to bump this bc i am still wondering about my above questions re: therapeutic use.

Neurontin seems to help for anxiety and for benzo withdrawal.

jasoncrest said:
Neurontin is a bit useless. It gives no effects, and only have a few uses (epilepsy, neuropathic pain).
But now, it's been replaced by Lyrica which is a much better med, for recreational and therapeutic use.

I'm sorry but i really really really have to disagree with ya there mate... Have you used Gabapentin before, yeah? You either arent taking enough of it, or you are immune to the effects or something.. I know many people who have used it recreationally, and everyone enjoys it. To say it has no effects at all is just daft, no disrespect... People say benzos have no recreational value because the effects are very transparant, and i can sometimes agree with that. Gabapentin on the other hand has much more recreational value than benzos, and i have plenty experience with both... =D

Take 900mg to 1200mg and then tell me it has no effects Jason mate... :D

Sorry i can't give much advice on whether its effective as a mood stabilizer, but from my recreational experiences with it, i'd have to say at least, it might have some use.

bandito said:
Take 900mg to 1200mg and then tell me it has no effects Jason mate... :D

Man, everytime I take Neurontin (about once every 2 months) I always take 4800mg.
So I don't think that it is because of the dosage that I don't feel much from it...

And many other bluelighters have also taken 4800mg Neurontin with not much effect...

rashandreflex said:
has anyone taken it therapeutically for bipolar disorder? my doctor mentioned it when i said i might want to switch from lamictal to some other mood stabilizer. i had heard the same thing that tomeyto posted....that neurontin is not necessarily effective as a mood stabilizer but that the pharmaceutical company pushed for its off label use as one. i definitely don't want to be constantly 'drunk/stoned feeling,' 'euphoric,' 'running into walls,' etc (although that has its time and place;) )

so what have people's experiences been? what side effects have people gotten?

I take 60mg d-amp, 100-200mg lamictal and 600-1200mgNeurontin for ADHD & bipolar. Great combo. lamictal keeps me from hitting rock bottom, and the Neuros elevate my mood a bit and give me energy, since dex doesn't. I also think they help take the edge off of just about anything from headaches to (really)light opiate wd's.

The more you use it though, the less you feel it. take a week off and you're back to square 1 and it feels nice. It has a nice disinhibiting effect when used w/ alcohol.

I think it's useful for rec and therap. applications, but I haven't tried Lyrica yet though.

Im on it..........

doesnt to effect any drug I do........... I think the 600mg at bedtime does help me sleep a little better, but Im on it for PAD:\

jasoncrest said:
Man, everytime I take Neurontin (about once every 2 months) I always take 4800mg.
So I don't think that it is because of the dosage that I don't feel much from it...

And many other bluelighters have also taken 4800mg Neurontin with not much effect...

Why do you take nearly 5 grams of the stuff every 2 months if it gives you no effects.........? Thats weird.

Jason, i ain't tryin to be awkward or anything, but what your saying is impossible for me to comprehend. If i or anybody else in my local area takes 900-1200mg, within an hour or so a very nice high is produced. Maybe try lowering your dose... I really don't know. But i have never met a person(in person) who hasn't got effects from 900mg+. I have seen people extremely messed up from 1200mg to the point they cannot walk straight and cannot speak an understandable sentance.
As Dub said aswell, it gives a good disinhibitory effect. And also as Dub said, the more you use the less effective it becomes, so you should try and lower your dose.
I've also used it with Amphetamine and it made me disinhibitory to the point of being obnoxious.

I'm going from my own personal experience and experiences of others in my area. Like i said, it just doesnt make sense...

bianca said:
doesnt to effect any drug I do........... I think the 600mg at bedtime does help me sleep a little better, but Im on it for PAD:\

Bianca, would you take 900mg and not at bedtime, say a good few hours before bedtime and report the effects please? :)