• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Authorities ask why hallucinogenic herb is legal

Church

Bluelighter
Taken from http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA052506.purplehaze.KENS.2231b9d6.html

A herb that makes you hallucinate is perfectly legal in Texas. The drug is sold without a prescription, and medical experts say it's dangerous.

At the Gas Pipe in Austin, Purple Sticky Salvia is sold for $20, along with a list of safety instructions on how to smoke it.

However, some argue that the list is not enough — the product should be banned by state and federal governments.

Purple Sticky Salvia is an all-natural hallucinogen, made from native plants used in landscaping. In Mexico, it has been used in religious ceremonies for centuries.

"It is something that I think it's very real, and has the potential to do some real damage," said Dr. John Roache, a clinical pharmacologist at the University of Texas Health Science Center.

Roache is skeptical of the herb salvia divinorum, which can also be purchased online. One place it can't be found is on the Drug Enforcement Agency's list of controlled substances, and experts say that's a problem.

"I do consider it very dangerous, and I think it's only a matter of time before it will become illegal," Roache said.

Now teens are using it for their own trips.

"For a few minutes you see stuff, you hallucinate for a little bit," user Steve Fanning said.

D.A.R.E. coordinator Dep. George Little is baffled by the product's accessibility.

"There comes a time when somebody ought to say enough is enough," Little said.

He says if people are smoking it and hallucinating, then it needs to be off the market.

"Just because something's legal, doesn't necessarily make it right," Little said.

So far, a handful of states are considering outlawing this drug. Louisiana and Missouri have already done so, and several other countries have named it a controlled substance.

ROFLMAO @ "purple sticky salvia"!!!!!

He says if people are smoking it and hallucinating, then it needs to be off the market.

HAHAHAHA!!!! Dumbass.

:p

"Just because something's legal, doesn't necessarily make it right,"

f'n' christ, does this mean we have to make everything that isn't "right" to some selfrighteous christian basterd illegal, cause the list would just go on.....

"Just because something's legal, doesn't necessarily make it right," Little said.

The same applies in reverse.

The problem is that only a minority see salvia trips as being a good thing. Authorities would label it as going absolutely crazy.

I guess I'll have to resort to huffing gasoline when they ban salvia. or maybe glue sniffing.

Last edited:
ive never tried it. my good buddy tried it and i think it scared him a lot. enought to throw it away and tell me he doesnt think something so powerful should be so readily available.

wtf.. purple sticky salvia? man i hate headshops... #1 on that list of saftey instructions should be "don't buy salvia from some dumbass who's trying to pass it off as a weed substitute"

crowbar said:
"One place it can't be found is on the Drug Enforcement Agency's list of controlled substances, and experts say that's a problem."

Experts at what? Obviously not in any areas related to drugs.

lol.. who could know more about drugs and the law besides the DEA? I don't like it when the DEA schedules a drug, but it seems like for the most part they've only done it when a substance was super popular and showing up at raves and whatnot

the fact that salvia has been on the dea's radar but nothing's happened says a lot imo

unfortunately, as salvia gets banned in more and more states, it will get more and more attention, which could cause it to become banned elsewhere

I've mentioned this before, but write your legislators and ask them to ban it for those under 18 and keep it legal for those over 18. (or 21.. whatever) It's a long shot but it would be so awesome if salvia could be legal under the law, as opposed to being legal because there is no law.

maybe it's an extension of the medieval witch persecutions

This makes me soooo damn angry. Potential for severe damage? What fucking severe damage? Are you talking about the 400,000 deaths from tobacco related diseases a year? Or perhaps the 200,000 deaths from alcohol over dose? Or no, yet possibly the 80,000 or more deaths from alcohol related accidents? You think Salvia is gonna result in mass deaths and the collapse of society? ARE YOU FUCKING STUPID YOU DAMN LEGISLATORS AND "PHARMACOLOGISTS"? ILLEGALIZING DRUGS DOESNT CUT AVAILABILITY, OR MAKE SOCIETY ANY SAFER! THE ONLY THING IT DOES IS COST A WHOLE TON OF MONEY AND CAUSE PEOPLE TO USE DRUGS IN INCRESINGLY DANGEROUS SITUATIONS TO AVOID DETECTION! AND DONT GIVE ME THIS 'DANGER' BULLSHIT. YOU WANT DANGEROUS GO DRINK YOUR ALCOHOL AND SQUANDER YOURSELF AWAY IN MASSIVE LIVER DAMAGE AND TOXICITY!

"He says if people are smoking it and hallucinating, then it needs to be off the market. "

Maybe we should take your dim perception of the world and inconcievable idiocy "off the market" too....dumbass.

I better get a Salvia plant before this shit becomes illegal. Just so I can smoke it and then go rape, pillage, and cause 'real damage'. ASSHOLES

Last edited:
qwedsa said:
maybe it's an extension of the medieval witch persecutions

Maybe. But im sure that even in 2000bc ppl were getting high. And some ppl condemned it.

I bought one of those $20 bags in some headshop in New Jersey. Purple sticky salvia isn't purple, nor is it sticky, but it makes you trip your dick off.

Portillo said:
Maybe. But im sure that even in 2000bc ppl were getting high. And some ppl condemned it.
we've been getting high a lot longer than that. but the real government persecutions of drug users started somewhat recently

im pretty sure the major civilizations didnt have 'drug laws,' except in the case of religious sacraments (entheogens were often restricted to the high priests/shamans)

People are going to get high one way or another and making a harmless drug like salvia illegal just because it is "powerful" isn't going to stop that.

I'd rather have people smoking salvia than huffing glue/gas/air duster/markers/paint.

Anyways, it's not like salvia is dangerous! It lasts so short that people can't do too much damage while on it. Most people become immobolized on it, and sit down and wait till it is over. Most people who try it don't like it anyways. I'd say most of the daily users of salvia use it for spiritual/mental exploration more than just something to get high off of.

Why don't we make fucking bananna peels illegal too because you can get high off of them.

People shouldn't be worried about teens using salvia to get high, they should be worried about teens going into medicine cabinets and eating 50 non-recreational pills and dying.

If Texas gets any more conservative, they're going to start hiring people to sit just past the state line specifically to stop passing motorists with "Welcome to Texas! Here's your bible."

("Feel free to not read it".)