Where did the term "rolling" come from?

Phat_bass49

Bluelighter
I know it's a piece of slang, i believe it started first being used in north America, and i only ever hear (or read) americans using this word. I'm just interested to know where it stems from?

I thought maybe it had something to do with people getting eye-wiggles? but other than that where could it have come from?

kthx :)

it sounds unique and cool.

They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Patrollin' and tryna catch me ridin dirty

My guess is because of the "rolling" sensation that you sometimes feel with the rush/comeup, ect. And your eyes jumping about in a million directions.

When I started "rolling" it wasn't even called that, but that's what I gather is the reason. ;)

there was a thread about this before I wonder if it still around......

I was always under the impression that it refers to the "rolling" waves of euphoria commonly caused by MDMA. If you've never had molly or a pure-mdma pill you might not have felt this before, but it's almost like, instead of a steady peak of effects that most drugs exhibit, mdma's peak effects come on in "rolls" or waves in and out.

Some people believe the difference between slang here and in Europe for example is the fact that here people identified pills as rolls for awhile. So eating a roll lead to rolling, and the inverse in Europe, where they ate pills, and thus were pilling

BigCat007 said:
Some people believe the difference between slang here and in Europe for example is the fact that here people identified pills as rolls for awhile. So eating a roll lead to rolling, and the inverse in Europe, where they ate pills, and thus were pilling

I never EVER say pilling, infact ive never heard anyone call it that.

If people asked me when im on MDMA how im feeling and its real intence i will just turn and say ''Im fucking FLYING!''

I know I have talked about this on pillreports like 3 years ago. I cant remember the exact conversation though.

I support the idea that it came from E being called rolls then that got changed into rolling. I think the word rolling fits the experience very well. I like to hear some more input though..

I was always under the impression that it refers to the effect of eyeballs rolling into the back of one's head...

And RavenousBlonde, when did you start, because around here (FL) we were calling it rolling/rolls way back in '93.

TheSimpsons said:
I never EVER say pilling, infact ive never heard anyone call it that.

If people asked me when im on MDMA how im feeling and its real intence i will just turn and say ''Im fucking FLYING!''

a> I have no idea where you're from so I don't see how you infer that I was talking about you

b> do a search on BL for pilling, then come back and act like I just made that up ;)

RavenousBlonde said:
When I started "rolling" it wasn't even called that...

Same here. I never heard the term until the rise of the Internet, which was some years after I began, well, "rolling."

I suppose it's a descriptive enough term for the rolling-wave sensation that true ecstasy provides, but I feel silly when I use it. Hence the sneer quotes.

Back in the Jurassic Era we always called it X'ing.

I read it was because dealers used to hide the X in tootsie rolls so the cops wouldn't find them.

Shvibzik said:
I read it was because dealers used to hide the X in tootsie rolls so the cops wouldn't find them.
you mean rockets?
i don't see how you hide them inside totsie rolls,

i know one time when i had 20 it looked like 20 rockets and it was pretty funny, welll it was at the time but i am retarded

Shvibzik said:

You probably read or heard about this garbage:

Dealers warm the Tootsie Rolls in hand, or in the microwave, or in the sun, unwrap them, push an MDMA pill into the roll and re-wrap it. This is to elude detection by police. Thus the phrase in reference to taking MDMA—“Doing rolls.”

http://www.projectghb.org/ecstasy.htm

I always thought it was from the rush you get from rollin your eyes back while rollin.

yeah, I thought it was fact that rolling comes from your eyes rolling back into your skull.

I really doubt it's any reason in particular... you're just rolling. Perfect word for it.