Wisconsin Supreme Court approves laxative searches

noone1

Bluelighter
Court approves laxative searches
State justices OK practice to find drugs
By DERRICK NUNNALLY
[email protected]
Posted: May 18, 2006

Reversing a state Court of Appeals ruling, the Wisconsin Supreme Court on Thursday approved Milwaukee police officers' use of laxatives in their 2002 search of a man who swallowed a bag of heroin during a drug bust.
Advertisement

By a 5-2 margin, the court found that police didn't violate the constitutional right against unreasonable searches when they gave Tomas R. Payano-Roman, now 36, cups of a liquid laxative called "Go Lightly" every 20 to 30 minutes so they could retrieve the drugs from his stool to use as evidence. Plainclothes officers investigating a tip had spotted Payano-Roman in the 1500 block of W. Mitchell St. April 12, 2002, and they saw him swallow a bag while they approached him.

After the recovered drug was allowed as evidence, Payano-Roman pleaded guilty to possession of heroin and was sentenced to 60 days in the Milwaukee County House of Correction.

In the court's majority opinion, Justice Ann Walsh Bradley wrote that the search was reasonable in part because it involved medical professionals - Payano-Roman had been taken to Froedtert Memorial Lutheran Hospital in Wauwatosa after the arrest and handcuffed to a bed - and because the importance of using the drugs as evidence outweighed the intrusion for Payano-Roman.

"Had the officers been unable to recover the heroin, the government's case against Payano-Roman would not have been as strong," Bradley wrote.

"At the same time, it cannot be ignored that Payano-Roman's situation was self-created insofar as he swallowed the baggie of heroin in an apparent attempt to conceal or dispose of evidence."

In a dissent joined by Justice Louis B. Butler Jr., Chief Justice Shirley S. Abrahamson wrote that the laxative-obtained evidence shouldn't have been allowed because police didn't try to obtain a search warrant during the six hours that passed between Payano-Roman's arrest and when the first dose of laxative was administered.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=425031

noone1 said:
"Had the officers been unable to recover the heroin, the government's case against Payano-Roman would not have been as strong," Bradley wrote.

And what a big case... he got a whopping 60 days for possessing ONE BAG of heroin!

"At the same time, it cannot be ignored that Payano-Roman's situation was self-created insofar as he swallowed the baggie of heroin in an apparent attempt to conceal or dispose of evidence."

Oh my God... he had a personal amount of heroin on him! Let's go rummaging through his feces!

These people are sick.

davesoviet said:
These people are sick.

I agree
all of that over a bit of heroin; how degrading it must be to just be shitting out a bag of heroin that you tried to hide because you were afraid the cops were gonna get it. That must suck... knowing your gonna get caught and that your gonna shit out the evidence at any time. Weird...

I say nay on this laxative thing

If they ever suggest me take a laxative I will tell them to go get fucked.

we'll use a drug that's hard on your body to catch you using a drug that's soft on your body (except in some circumstances because we are prohibiting it)

yeah i'd like to see a cop in my city (philadelphia) to try and tell someone to take laxative. that is fucking ridiculous. digging through shit over a bag of dope. how big was the bag? you'd think it would have been digested or something.

^Nope, if you package it correctly it will stay sealed so you can puke it up if you have time or possibly shit it out if you so desire.