Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Drugs 'blight most parts of UK'

Skyline_GTR

Bluelight Crew
Drugs 'blight most parts of UK'

BBC News
22 May 2006

Three-quarters of people in the UK say drugs are a problem in their area, according to a BBC survey.

More than half of the 1,190 people surveyed by ICM also said they thought the police were not doing enough to combat the drugs problem.

Police sources told the BBC a drugs "hit" in some parts of the country costs less than a pint of beer.

Ecstasy pills can be bought for as little as £1 - while a gramme of cocaine can cost just £40.

The BBC's survey suggested there were big regional variations in drug use, with 26% in the South East saying they had taken an illegal drug compared with just 6% in Northern Ireland.

'Tackling supply'

Drugs minister Vernon Coaker said drug-related crime had gone down by 12% across the country.

But he added: "In some communities there are still problems and we are determined to tackle that and we won't rest until we have."

He said the government was "determined to bring peace and stability to all of our streets".

On the price of drugs, he said: "The important thing for us is to disrupt the supply and that's why we are working with the serious and organised supply agency to ensure that we tackle the supply of drugs onto our streets.

"They are working hard with neighbourhood policing teams, they are working hard with the new powers we have given them, to tackle that supply."

Some 16% of people questioned in the BBC survey said they had used an illegal drug, with 37% of that number saying they had used cocaine.

Cocaine

Among those in the AB social class - defined as professionals and middle managers - who said they had taken drugs, 26% said they had used cocaine.

But that increased to 46% among members of the C1 social class - defined as office workers and junior managers.

There were also marked differences between the regions, with the Midlands topping the cocaine use league, with 41% of drug users saying they had tried it, followed by the South East on 35%.

Only 20% of 18 to 25-year-olds admitted they had taken illegal drugs, compared with 32% of 25 to 34-year-olds.

Martin Barnes, chief executive of Drugscope, said: "The survey shows that illegal drug use is around three times higher among professional and managerial classes compared with the semi or unskilled.

"The fact that around 1 in 20 adults have ever used cocaine is consistent with the findings from the annual British Crime Survey.

"Despite cocaine's reputation as the drug of choice for the rich and better off, amongst this survey's respondents its use is in fact highest among the middle socio-economic groups."

_41664306_drugs_survey_pie203.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4998522.stm

Police sources told the BBC a drugs "hit" in some parts of the country costs less than a pint of beer.

Yeah, compare it to a drug which kills hundreds of thousands of people a year.

Takes the attention away from more serious fuck ups the government is making.

so let me guess, they take 1000 random people of the streets and ask them if they ever take drugs then thats how they know the % of a place? Thats bullshit...

me and 99% of my friends take drugs but these people who do these surveys dont know that so how can they get a % without asking everyone in Ireland and Britain?

^bad statistics.. generally, most statistics you hear in the popular media will be either poorly constructed, or completely done in a way so as to get the results that support the article.

statistics are so manipulated by the popular media, that i don't even pay attention anymore. anything with a % sign = bullshit.

lol.. you brits are really getting out of hand with you use of "drugs" as an adjective.. "a drugs hit?" wtf is that? like a hit of multiple drugs all at once? 8(

Drugs minister Vernon Coaker said drug-related crime had gone down by 12% across the country.

wtf where are the editors? i love how the "drugs minister" talks about "drug-related crimes" as opposed to "drugs-related" crimes lol

and again: "the drugs problem"/"illegal drug use" 8(

Last edited:
frizzantik you're always going on about this! To be honest, i don't expect these people to be intelligent enough to distinguish between drug and drugs when they come out with 100% SHIT like said article.

frizzantik you're always going on about this!

hehe i know.. but it really drives me nuts.. it's really weird to me how drugs and drug can be used interchangeably. This BBC article has both "Drug user" and "drugs use" in it lol

Now that you've pointed it out that's gonna bug me too. More than the article itself probably.

frizzantik said:

lol.. you brits are really getting out of hand with you use of "drugs" as an adjective.. "a drugs hit?" wtf is that? like a hit of multiple drugs all at once? 8(

wtf where are the editors? i love how the "drugs minister" talks about "drug-related crimes" as opposed to "drugs-related" crimes lol

and again: "the drugs problem"/"illegal drug use" 8(

It could be worse, we could start using the USELESS word ''ROLLING'' to describe us using Ecstasy! :) :p =D

frizzantik said:
It's perfectly valid English. Some more examples: Motorcycle-related accidents (not motorcycles-related accidents)
Disease-related deaths (not diseases-related deaths)
Gun-related injuries (not guns-related injuries)
etc...

^ yeah i agree with "drug-related".. but i don't think it should be "drugs minister" you wouldn't say "motorcycles mechanic" would you?

^ Oh I see, I kind of interpreted your comment the other way round, if you see what I mean. Even so, I'm not sure there's really a hard-and-fast rule for this sort of thing either way. In the case of "drugs minister" it's a phrase often used over here so the editors certainly wouldn't have wanted to change it.

I'd agree "drugs hit" sounds a bit wrong though.

Yeah i know "drugs" is used as an adjective quite often in the UK.. it sounds odd to me but I'd accept it as an "elevator/lift" type usage difference, except there really is no consistency that I can see. This only encourages weird constructions like "drugs hit" hehe

Last edited:
lol, here's a great quote from the drugs minister himself

We need to have a slightly more mature debate about the drugs strategy because we're constantly bombarded with stories in the media about individuals and problems of drug misuse and the impact they have.

"And I think we need to balance that out with more information about what precisely the government's doing and what the impact is and the fact that drug misuse of the most serious drugs is at worst stable, and in some areas we may begin to see some reductions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4271570.stm

"drug misuse of the most serious drugs?" sounds like something bush would say =D and again we have one person saying "drugs strategy"/"drug misuse" in the same sentence. and in another article one finds "drugs use".. so like i said there really is no consistency hehe

one of the first things i discovered about life in britain was to pay no attention to public opinion.

was it Babbington (?) who said - and i paraphrase atrociously - "We know no spectacle as ridiculous as the British public in one of its periodical fits of morality".

frizzantik said:
^ as opposed to being "off your face" ? =D

No, I think the correct word is 'tripping'.I find it funny how Americans laugh at stuff like what you're talking about, and then call trips on Ecstacy 'rolls'.:)

Though having said that, I don't know what a drug hit is either!I bet the writer of the article doesn't even know....