• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

ENERGY DRINKS ~ Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hypnoticzzz2003

Ex-Bluelighter
Ok here is the deal, I am addicted to energy drinks. Every morning before I go to work I always stop and buy 2 180x3's the low carb version. I rarely drink them on the weekend. what I wanna know can this bad for me?? Considering I usually have 2 every day? The website for these are 180.com. They aren't like the normal energy drinks that all taste like tangy body odor and have tons of taurine,milk thistle and all that other garbage
The drinks contain
Vitamin C 100% DV
Vitamin B6 100% DV
Vitamin B12 100% DV
and a list of the usual ingredients used to make the drink. Like carbonated water.high fructose corn syrup ect......:\

in addition to those vitamins and the carbonated water, corn syrup, sucralose, etc, there is also "natural caffeine," which probably means guarana. i didn't look closely enough at the website to see how much caffeine was in each one. the amount of caffeine in a typical cup of coffee (8 ounces) varies a lot depending on how it is brewed, etc, but i think the average is 100 mg-150 mg. i think the answer to your question really comes down to how "dangerous" you consider caffeine to be (and maybe how much corn syrup and sucralose (splenda) you want to be putting in your body every day.) if those two energy drinks are the only caffeine you consume, you are probably fine. lots of people are "addicted" to caffeine the way you are worried that you may be "addicted" to energy drinks, and they are fine. the concerns (valid or not) usually come when people are drinking 10+ cups of coffee a day and even then, studies are inconclusive as to whether it damages the heart, etc. you should be careful when exercising on caffeine bc it isn't great for your heart (but again, the amount is key....exercising on moderate amounts of caffeine isn't going to drive you to an early death.)

Yea they contain caffeine, doesn't say how much. I just notice with these, a good increase in energy, sorta like a brain energy for some reason. Not the cracked body energy feeling like coffee gives me. Yea I usually have 1 or 2 a day during the work week ands thats it

most energy drinks contain half the amount of caffeine that's in a tall cup of coffee at starbucks...something between 50-60mg which is a lot less than people think...i'll try to find the source for that

^^ yeh, i know the ones like red bull have got 80mg caffiene in them. This really isnt too bad. If you consider the guidlines for athletes, they are allowed to have 1-3mg per kg of body weight of caffiene in there system before they test positive on a drug test for caffiene. So 60-80mg isnt really that much at all. Probably the artificial is worse!

The only "energy" drinks I consume on a daily basis are the fresh ones I make in my juicer ;)

hypnoticzzz2003 said:
tons of taurine,milk thistle and all that other

read up on taurine and milk thistle before you label them as garbage. they're actually very beneficial to a lot of people. the garbage in energy drinks is the phosphoric acid, the refined sugar, and (perhaps to a lesser extent) the synthetic caffeine.

Ok here is the deal, I am addicted to energy drinks
I think that you are probably addicted to caffeine, and "energy drinks" are your source. The B-vitamins are also a good thing to be taking. I would suggest weaning yourself off caffeine and then just taking a good multivitamin in the morning with breakfast. Then drink water or gatorade during the day.

Get yourself a 400$ juice extractor and make yourself some REAL energy drinks.

Sugar and corn syrup? Try freshly juiced spinachs + sprouts + parsley + carrots + citrus + grapefruit + oranges + ...

Just add your own caffeine if you want ;)

Hahaha, I drank about 5 a day on average, 10 during this one stressful day. til i got a stomach ulcer. now i can hardly eat.

GIMME THAT TAURINE....BITCH!

Nothing like a fresh grapefruit/orange/lime/pineapple wake-upper in the morning straight from the juicer.
I know everybody finds this unbelievably gross but I LOVE taking Brand's Essence of Chicken (Asians will know what I"m talking about). It gives me unbelievable energy like you wouldn't believe plus it's good for you.

Ximot said:
read up on taurine and milk thistle before you label them as garbage. they're actually very beneficial to a lot of people.
Taurine and milk thistle are great, however the amount you're getting by drinking an energy drink is negligible.

firefighter said:
Hahaha, I drank about 5 a day on average, 10 during this one stressful day. til i got a stomach ulcer. now i can hardly eat.

GIMME THAT TAURINE....BITCH!
That's disguesting.

energy drinks are bad for you.

try taking a shot of ginsing extract every morning. its way better for you and usually just as effective as an energy drinks.
you can buy the extract already packaged in little shots. 50 shots might cost you $20 at most. any asian market should carry them.

the only energy drink I need is a whey protein shake with milk and EFA oil... far more energy than some caffeine loaded POS will give you...

I KNOW BRANDS! OMFG LOVE THE STUFF. high in protein n vitamins. im only concerned about its sodium content.

Where is taurine sourced these days? Links please.

Actually taurine on its own is quite beneficial. It is added to energy drinks to smoothen the jitters from the caffeine. Contrary to popular belief, it does not give one extra energy, as matter of fact, it can aid in relaxation. All the "energy" you get from such drinks from the caffeine plus placebo.

To be honest, just get yourself some cheap as fuck caffeine anhydrous from the internet if you want the "morning lift me up". Throw in some ephedrine and you can be in for some fun the first few days.

Willow,

www.bulknutrition.com

Ooops, I meant the actual organic source? Cheers for link though

Status
Not open for further replies.