Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Age - 16/05/2006 'Deadly cocktail killed party girl'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Once again to reiterate the importance of calling for medical help when things get out of hand... this article reads like a step by step guide on what not to do when you find your friend unconcious at a party.

Deadly cocktail killed party girl
By Dylan Welch
May 16, 2006 - 3:20PM

Bourbon, marijuana and butane gas - a deadly cocktail that killed a 17-year-old girl on Mother's Day and left young partygoers too scared to dial triple-0.

Now Perth police are warning teenagers: "Look after your friends and if you have any doubts at all ring up ... triple 0."

The girl died as other partygoers tried to resuscitate her by dragging her under a cold shower, then performing CPR on the front lawn instead of calling an ambulance, say police.

She was then driven to hospital, and was almost certainly dead when she was dragged by the heels from the car to the door of the emergency department and dumped.

Detective Senior Sergeant David Bryson, from Armadale police in Western Australia, told smh.com.au that doctors told him the girl wasn't breathing and had no pulse when they examined her.

The 17-year-old Armadale girl had gone to a house party on Blantyre Way in Kelmscott in the outer suburbs of Perth on Sunday evening where, according to police, people were drinking, smoking marijuana and inhaling butane - a fuel used for cigarette lighters.

Detective Bryson has interviewed numerous people at the party and was told the 17-year-old passed out in a car outside the party around 11pm after inhaling butane, after drinking Jim Beam bourbon and smoking marijuana.

Other partygoers, who thought she was sleeping, realised something was wrong when she suddenly started vomiting.

"They ... panicked because she threw up," , said Detective Bryson.

He said she was dragged to a shower inside but when the cold water failed to revive her, she was dragged back out to the front yard, where partygoers tried to perform CPR.

When that didn't work precious minutes were lost as a group drove her to Armadale hospital.

Detective Bryson said horrified staff watched as one of the male occupants of the car dragged her apparently lifeless body to the front door of the hospital and dumped her.

"The guy who dragged her by the heels [then] ran away and jumped back in the car but a guy who was in the car [ran up to hospital staff] and said, 'she's had gas, I'm leaving', and then promptly ran away," he said.

Detective Bryson said if the partygoers had called triple 0 immediately - instead of being concerned for their own welfare - she may have survived.

"If they'd called St John's [Ambulance Service] they would have been there in five minutes."

He said that the girl had been unconscious but breathing when placed in the shower, and it is possible emergency services could have saved her life if contacted immediately.

Despite the negligence of the people at the party, Detective Bryson said it is unlikely anyone will be charged.

Detective Bryson also said the girl's family were "devastated" by her tragic death, particularly the mother, who had to deal with the death of her daughter on Mother's Day.

- with AAP

From The Age

i met girls at skoolies sucking on a butane can.. quite sad, was even worse when they started arguing that one of them was using it all up, i was like fuck theres a servo next door u can get a new can for like 3 bucks... ive never heard of or seen anyone else do it....

poor girl

now THAT is what causes serious harm to the ol brain..butane.. *shudders*

hoptis said:
Once again to reiterate the importance of calling for medical help when things get out of hand... this article reads like a step by step guide on what not to do when you find your friend unconcious at a party.

I agree. This has no relevance to the article (well, it sort of does), but due to the quality of Heroin on the increase around the Melbourne area and my stupid powers of underestimation, I was on the verge of an overdose last Thursday night. I couldn't breathe, was shaking violently, my heart-rate increased (don't know why, but the M.D. said it was due to me combining alcohol and Heroin) and I literally thought I was going to die. Pretty scary shit, considering I only smoked not such a huge amount.
The moment I started feeling like this I immediately called a cab to the nearest hospital.

The moment I spoke to the triage nurse I held-back no details and described to her exactly what I had taken throughout the evening. The staff were extremely understanding and no police got involved. They got me to a hospital bed, put me on some fluids and monitored my heart. I just thought that I would let people know that the police NEVER get involved in overdoses unless you are violent or are a threat to another person's life.

Don't ever let the fact that you have been engaging in illegal activities, make you reluctant to call an ambulance or ask for medical assistance if you believe you or a friend are overdosing.

I will write a report on my experience either in Trip Reports or The Dark Side another time. Can't really be bothered now.
But, if you feel your grasping your last breathe of air, never hesitate.

Does butane even do anything interesting.

I've heard people say it's better than nitrous. They were always dropkicks/derros though.

This news article reads like a blow-by-blow account of my standard nights out when I was 15 (though my friends were also into LSD, speed and heroin at that age - scary but true). Right down to the suburb. Brings back...not so fond memories.

Splatt - butane isn't better than nitrous. For one, it gives you a nasty, nasty headache when the "high" (for want of a more negative word) goes away.

I guess I was one of those derros who was into butane when I was young (thankfully, only for a year or two. I was worried it'd knacker me ol' brain). I turned out OK ;)

fuck don't trust abulance staff man. they tend to call the police. i used to be that if you called for a drug OD the police were not called to save lives. but i know someone who called in an morphine OD and the cops came raid the house found lots of drugs and hydro setup and the chick that OD died and her boyfriend who called 000 get in a bit of shit the cops didn't do him for the quite large hydro setup but they did nust him for drugs and stuff even thogh it was perscription morphine that killed her.
my 2 cents call 000 straight away bt quickly move to cover your ass. no point ruining 2 lives.
fuckin dog cunts. fuck the police
I live near that girl that died. butane! fuck unimformed idiots people like that deserve punihment fo using that shit. (not death)
SAD SAD butane.

Last edited:
God forbid if we were to actually teach kids at school to call the ambulance if a friend OD's - its so fucking useless to print these warning in the press. Hell for the most part BL is a elite drug board, the vast bulk of teenagers out there would barely know it exists.

I blame the conservative drug warriors for this girls death. They're the ones who block the sort of education we need in this country. These are the people who let others die because "drugs are illegal".

Sure you can attack the friends for not calling an ambulance but having been in that situation many a time as a kid i can tell you that without knowing what to do FEAR grabs ahold of you like nothing else. At no time was i ever told that the police would not prosecute or that you should call the ambulance as soon as possible, or that butane could cause problems like that. (and i use to huff butane alot).

A terrible situation caused by people who should know better but use the lives of our kids as political footballs.

In fact their no worse then those "evil" drug dealers they crusade against, whom they claim are only trying to profit from the harm our kids go through – yeah well ditto you mutherfuckers, peole like chris payne who profit through the political football of drugs....

I would almost love to see Chris Payne have a adverse reaction to butane whilst in the care of a bunch of teenagers. I wonder if at that point he would begin to advocate pro-active harm minimisation education - of course because when you get down to it those snvilling little fucking Tories will only ever do something if it benefits them directly.

Last edited:
*looks at tin of butane* The warning states, Do not inhale contents, can cause serious harm or instant death.

I like the whole *instant death* thing, yet people still inhale it?

I have once, before I noticed the warning... It's not that great, Nitrous is much better, i think!

SpecTBK=D

tadfish said:
fuck don't trust abulance staff man. they tend to call the police. i used to be that if you called for a drug OD the police were not called to save lives. but i know someone who called in an morphine OD and the cops came raid the house found lots of drugs and hydro setup and the chick that OD died and her boyfriend who called 000 get in a bit of shit the cops didn't do him for the quite large hydro setup but they did nust him for drugs and stuff even thogh it was perscription morphine that killed her.
my 2 cents call 000 straight away bt quickly move to cover your ass. no point ruining 2 lives.
fuckin dog cunts. fuck the police
I live near that girl that died. butane! fuck unimformed idiots people like that deserve punihment fo using that shit. (not death)
SAD SAD butane.

This is wrong, do not spread misinformation.

The police will only be called if a crime has been commited, they will not be called for a drug OD.

Splatt said:
Does butane even do anything interesting.

I've heard people say it's better than nitrous. They were always dropkicks/derros though.

It's an organic solvent so I assume it works in much the same way as inhaling petrol etc does. I.e the hydrocarbons dissolve the lipid membrane in your brain in combination with the oxygen deprivation that comes with holding the inhalent in for as long as possible and that somehow delivers a delusional high. I'm not sure of the exact mechanism but it's no so much a high as it is a delerium.

comf0rtably numb said:
It's an organic solvent so I assume it works in much the same way as inhaling petrol etc does. I.e the hydrocarbons dissolve the lipid membrane in your brain in combination with the oxygen deprivation that comes with holding the inhalent in for as long as possible and that somehow delivers a delusional high. I'm not sure of the exact mechanism but it's no so much a high as it is a delerium.

^ Sounds like what I got from it...

SpecTBK=D

Fry-d- said:

The police will only be called if a crime has been commited, they will not be called for a drug OD.
Well it actually happened so its not misinformation.
the cops are called sometimes trust me. not always but you can be unlucky.

Fry-d- said:

..but if you OD on an illegal drug couldn't they technically say a crime has been commited?

Butane was being abused way back in the mid 70's when I was a teenager. Nasty stuff, but at that age, for those inclined it can amount to a very cheap and fast way to get high.

Preme213 said:
..but if you OD on an illegal drug couldn't they technically say a crime has been commited?
if police prossecuted a person for ODing, what sort of message is that giving the drug community for times when others OD?
that's why i doubt they would ever prosecute them in those sort of circumstances
but im sure it's probably happened in the past....who knows

It's generally the case that the police have no interest in chasing ambulances around. They've usually got more important things to do. Police might attend if there's a history of violence at (or near) the address they're being called to, or if the ambos are otherwise unsure of their safety.

Also, if you call 000 you don't need to tell the operator that it's drug related over the phone. They'll ask if the person is conscious / breathing and then direct you in CPR if needed. Once the ambos arrive, then tell them what the person has taken.

There'll always be the odd exception where police do rock up, but I think it's pretty rare these days.

^ that is what I'm saying, if they feel a want or need to goto the address or are looking for an excuse.. then i can't see how it couldn't be used as one. not that i don't think calling an ambulance isn't the thing to do in an OD situation regardless.. but I think it would be a little to risky to just presume police will not be involved.

Mr TIMO said:
if police prossecuted a person for ODing, what sort of message is that giving the drug community for times when others OD?
that's why i doubt they would ever prosecute them in those sort of circumstances

while that is true, logic has not often shown itself to be a strong suit of the authorities.. zero tolerance has:\

Criofan said:
so this girl died because of butane. Is it possible to die for nitrous

Yes, when it comes to Nitrous; lack of oxygen can be a real bitch.